Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #19,411 of 46,514
Ok, so I just bought the HD 650 off ebay, should get here soon. I loved the HD 580s, i have a great feeling about the HD 650s!

Sep 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #19,412 of 46,514

Hi,
it enters on the headphones when somebody call me to my iphone, not the "ringtone" of course, I am speaking about that typical frequency of disturb of mobiles that enters into electronics devices that reproduce sound.
It occours when I am near and when I am far from DAC so I think it's the headphone that introduce that disturb.
It is normal that it happens? The cable and the headphones shoud be shielded or not? They were very expensive!

It's more likely induction in the copper traces on some electronics board (HP amp is my guess) - they're long enough to become 1/4 wave antennas at GSM frequencies.  I doubt it's doing much to the headphone directly, but you can test it by unplugging and seeing if you can hear the noise while unplugged and the cable floating.  While the cables act as waveguides it's really the board traces that pick up the microwave RF.  GSM pulses the transmitter, and what you hear is the switching frequency.  If the transmission were continuous it would be harder to detect as it would mainly induce voltage biases that cause more subtle effects (like phase distortion that mainly affects the soundstage due to changes in feedback, or a reduction in bass).

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #19,414 of 46,514

Hi all,
I have this set:
foobar2000+ASIO+DAC Asus E1+HD650.
I use not any kind DSP or else.

Often, my listening is painful for my ears when  I listen so music that is metal or hard rock. I mean, the drums are very high and "raw" (cannot describe better in english, sorry).
What I complain is the lackness of comfort for my ears and brain.
My question:
Does exist a plugin or DSP for foobar specifically made for HD650 or something like, that add comfort making "softer" some frequencies that cause that pain? I am ready to reduce the hi-fi for more comfort.

Thanks.

Try http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/download.html - and once installed use the J.Meier preset. Barely touches the sound but it makes listening a hell of a lot more comfortable.

Sep 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #19,415 of 46,514

Hi all,
I have this set:

Often, my listening is painful for my ears when  I listen so music that is metal or hard rock. I mean, the drums are very high and "raw" (cannot describe better in english, sorry).
My question:
Does exist a plugin or DSP for foobar specifically made for HD650 or something like, that add comfort making "softer" some frequencies that cause that pain? I am ready to reduce the hi-fi for more comfort.

Thanks.

You say this as if it's specific to the HD650, what are you comparing them with (that's not giving the problem). 

Maybe you should listen at a lower level or avoid metal 
tongue.gif

(try Q701 to find out what real pain is
biggrin.gif
)

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #19,416 of 46,514
Hi all,
I have this set:

My question:

Thanks.

Turn the volume down.

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #19,417 of 46,514
Turn the volume down.

This ^^

And get higher quality, less compressed recordings. I have to use vinyl rips for many of my favorite rock/metal bands, because their CDs are horribly mastered.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #19,418 of 46,514
spiderking31
I had the opportunity to demo the hd800's and the audeze LCD-X and in reality, I brought my hd650 with me to the audition, and I ultimately loved my hd650's over the hd800, and LCD-X! It's not about sound quality when your talking hd800, and the hd650's.....it's all about preference in sound signature! I auditioned the 3 headphones on a Mcintosh SS amp, that costs $4500! And I couldn't believe my ears! The hd650 is THAT good!
smily_headphones1.gif

+1   I bought the HD800 twice the first time four years ago, the second time a few months ago & the LCD 2rev2 around 3 years ago & still prefer the HD650 (& HD600).  The 2nd time I bought[size=xx-small] the HD800 I figured they would sound better with the Trafomatic Exprerience Head One this time around & my Vintage Fisher 500C but I still didn't enjoy the overall sound compared to my HD650.  I sold both HD800 (twice) & the LCD 2 but still have both HD6xx.  spiderking31, you lucky dog : I would love to hear the HD650 on the Mac SS; it would probably be my headphone nirvana = end of my quest.[/size]

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #19,419 of 46,514
+1   I bought the HD800 twice the first time four years ago, the second time a few months ago & the LCD 2rev2 around 3 years ago & still prefer the HD650 (& HD600).  The 2nd time I bought the HD800 I figured they would sound better with the Trafomatic Exprerience Head One this time around & my Vintage Fisher 500C but I still didn't enjoy the overall sound compared to my HD650.  I sold both HD800 (twice) & the LCD 2 but still have both HD6xx.  spiderking31, you lucky dog : I would love to hear the HD650 on the Mac SS; it would probably be my headphone nirvana = end of my quest.
put it like this.....it was an experience :D it made me go from thinking my hd650's were garbage compared to the big boys....and then....and then came the audition! I was freaking blown away by the performance of the hd650's! Put it like this....the hd650 sounded so damn freaking good, listening to FLAC files, with the Mcintosh, that the hd800, and the audeze LCD-X didn't make me grin...not at all...I thought, ok, nice soundstage, very nice natural sound, but the hd650's had me grinning almost like the joker from Batman! I mean, listening to the hd650, compared to some insanely expensive headphones, and realizing, wow....the hd650 is so good compared to these, that I said to myself, I prefer the meatier, fuller sound to the anemic sound of the hd800's....and preferred it over the audeze because the audeze was too bright for my taste, and the hd650's really ranked up there with the other two mentioned :D like I said, it's honest to god about your taste on sound signature....it's no longer about quality....it's about preference of sound :) and the Mcintosh amp really showed me what my $500 headphones can REALLY DO! :D I hope this helps you, and everyone else who says the hd650's are junk compared to the BIG BOYS! they need to try a world class amp with them, before they go and judge! :D

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #19,422 of 46,514
u hd650crazguys....do check out the DT150 if u need a fannnntassstic closed can when the tv is on :p 

caveat: i recommend a pair of DT100 velor over the stockpleather.

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #19,423 of 46,514
spiderking, you're like the worst 650 fanboy ever.... and thanks lorspeaker for the tip!
Carlitos.....I've owned the hd650's over 3 years now.....I had the opportunity of a lifetime to demo 2 other flagship's in NYC....I've been at this WAY longer than you I think.....I'm running the hd650 off a little dot mk3 dude with telefunken tubes.....do you know anything about tube sound? What different tubes do to the sound? Compared to SS amps?? Just curious......do you know how good a Mcintosh amp is?? Just curious....I founded an audiophile group 3 months ago....and I have over 2,000 members.....Just so you know alittle more about me

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #19,424 of 46,514
Carlitos.....I've owned the hd650's over 3 years now.....I had the opportunity of a lifetime to demo 2 other flagship's in NYC....I've been at this WAY longer than you I think.....I'm running the hd650 off a little dot mk3 dude with telefunken tubes.....do you know anything about tube sound? What different tubes do to the sound? Compared to SS amps?? Just curious......do you know how good a Mcintosh amp is?? Just curious....I founded an audiophile group 3 months ago....and I have over 2,000 members.....Just so you know alittle more about me

You don't have to justify yourself.  If he calls you a fanboy of this excellent headphone, that's OK.  Even if you've had way more, or way less experience than you write above, no defense needed. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #19,425 of 46,514
I don't like mushrooms, so don't call me a hd650 fanboy!!!!
oh wait but I am.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back