Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #19,234 of 46,554
  With a warm, red color too.  Preferably soft and textured fabric sleeving.

Gotta use the PYST cables Schiit sells.

Actually I do use them, wasn't in the mood for making short RCA cables myself.

But come on honestly amps sounding thin...?  I know we want to justify our expensive purchases but honestly even my HD650 are they worth 500 dollars or even 380 when they go that low..not really.  I'd say 200 would be a honest better price for them, I don't think they are this technical masterpiece I simply like its Frequency Response and comfort.  Hard to find comfortable headphones without a ton of brightness.  Or it's missing the bottom end HD598.

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #19,235 of 46,554
  No the Magni is it adds Bass Mids And Treble and expands the soundstage to make it feel like you are in a concert hall inside another concert hall for cheaper than the O2 YMMV

+1

Also, I HIGHLY recommend using 24/96 output on your modi if anyone isn't already doing that.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #19,236 of 46,554
But it's sad this site I think probably started out with good intentions but opinions here seem to be contagious.  Automatically a more expensive amp is better than a cheaper amp.  If you say you can't hear the difference you are pretty much told you have bad ears or need a better DAC.  If you can't hear that difference with that DAC the cables you are using need upgrading. If that fails then maybe it's your power supply cable.  After that it's still the same, you're in so deep financially...you just lie to yourself and everyone else....if you stop now it was all for nothing....or maybe just maybe you just need a new pair of headphones that'll shine with your equipment.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #19,237 of 46,554
  +1

Also, I HIGHLY recommend using 24/96 output on your modi if anyone isn't already doing that.

Even if your source is 16/44.1khz IT NEEDS THAT 96khz don't just double that to 88.2khz  IT CAN GO HIGHER!

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #19,238 of 46,554
Having heard/used and owned a Valhalla 2 and Magni, with my HD650s, the Valhalla 2 is worth every penny over the Magni, if not more. It really is a fantastic value; I also read it works well with HD800s as well, but I don't think it would be optimal. The Magni was fairly boring and cluttered (okay, "veiled") sounding, while it had plenty of power it wasn't cutting the cheese for me.

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #19,239 of 46,554
  Then the last one which I allways use with the HD650 makes them more agressive, more attack and bass got way more body.

Feedback causes phase distortion*, which is what damages PRaT as the spectrum gets spread out in the time domain.  To my modest ear the HD650 benefits from a class A amp.  (As do Audezes.)  Same thing happens with lossy encodes; the frequency-domain transforms in both MP3 and AAC are DCT-based, so completely discard phase.

* this is a linear response, so calling it distortion isn't technically correct

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #19,240 of 46,554
Feedback causes phase distortion, which is what damages PRaT as the spectrum gets spread out in the time domain.

lol. that's some statement you're making. to me it's like saying that tires are bad because they increase your fuel consumption in a car ^_^.  while not completely false, it is very much irrelevant compared to everything tires will bring in exchange.

I think trying to pin down one sonic behavior onto one component is a slippery slope.

edit: 1000 posts!!!! now obviously I know what Im talking about, that's pretty much level 60 in WOW.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #19,241 of 46,554
  But it's sad this site I think probably started out with good intentions but opinions here seem to be contagious.  Automatically a more expensive amp is better than a cheaper amp.  If you say you can't hear the difference you are pretty much told you have bad ears or need a better DAC.  If you can't hear that difference with that DAC the cables you are using need upgrading. If that fails then maybe it's your power supply cable.  After that it's still the same, you're in so deep financially...you just lie to yourself and everyone else....if you stop now it was all for nothing....or maybe just maybe you just need a new pair of headphones that'll shine with your equipment.

Assuming you aren't simply trolling...I think that's unfair.  If you peruse this thread, and its sister thread for Grado, you will read many discussions around lower cost amps: O2/ODAC, Modi/Magni/Vali, Little Dot, FiiO, iFI Audio, whatever.  Yes, there are people that spend large, but I really haven't seen many posts of the form: "...you have bad ears or need a better DAC."

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #19,242 of 46,554
he Magni was fairly boring and cluttered (okay, "veiled") sounding, while it had plenty of power it wasn't cutting the cheese for me.

I think "cutting the cheese" must mean something different to you.
blink.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #19,243 of 46,554
Assuming you aren't simply trolling...I think that's unfair.  If you peruse this thread, and its sister thread for Grado, you will read many discussions around lower cost amps: O2/ODAC, Modi/Magni/Vali, Little Dot, FiiO, iFI Audio, whatever.  Yes, there are people that spend large, but I really haven't seen many posts of the form: "...you have bad ears or need a better DAC."

In the posts I've seen don't remember specific ones they don't say it blatantly but pretty much imply it while trying not to offend. I guess more like "some ears just aren't finely tuned to hear certain details" and "a system is only good as it's weakest link" then specific DACs are recommended.

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #19,244 of 46,554
In the posts I've seen don't remember specific ones they don't say it blatantly but pretty much imply it while trying not to offend. I guess more like "some ears just aren't finely tuned to hear certain details" and "a system is only good as it's weakest link" then specific DACs are recommended.

That actually sounds appropriate and useful for a forum. You may be reading more condescension into it than is intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back