Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #19,126 of 46,554
  Just curious what people think. Do you feel the 650 is worth $500 new in todays marketplace? I'm not shopping now, just trying to gauge where the Senn aficionados who frequent this thread place the 650 in terms of what price do you feel the cost to performance ratio is solid. Thoughts?   

I wouldn't pay more than 350-400 for a new pair. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #19,129 of 46,554
Hi everybody,
I have two questions for you experts:
1) there is a particular equlization that I have to use in foobar2000 for ehnance the quality of the audio of these hearphones? Actualy the equalizer is disabled.
2) why does if somebody call me on the phone that is near the earphones I can hear the default disturb of "waves" inside the earphones? I thought a so well quality and expansive headphone should isolate from any kind of distub including the network cells of the mobiles!
Thank you

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #19,130 of 46,554
  Hi everybody,
1) there is a particular equlization that I have to use in foobar2000 for ehnance the quality of the audio of these hearphones? Actualy the equalizer is disabled.
2) why does if somebody call me on the phone that is near the earphones I can hear the default disturb of "waves" inside the earphones? I thought a so well quality and expansive headphone should isolate from any kind of distub including the network cells of the mobiles!
Thank you

1) The headphones could be picky about the amp choice, but definitely doesn't need equalisation to enjoy. Each headphone have their own sound signature and qualisation really doesn't play much of a part in enhancing anything, only tailoring the headphones to your own listening needs.

2) I never had anything like cell phone interference with my set up, in which I'm using ODAC -> O2 -> HD650. Are the rest of your gear shielded? The headphones, if using the original cable, should be unaffected by radio signals. This only leaves the rest of your gear susceptible to such things.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #19,131 of 46,554
  Just curious what people think. Do you feel the 650 is worth $500 new in todays marketplace? I'm not shopping now, just trying to gauge where the Senn aficionados who frequent this thread place the 650 in terms of what price do you feel the cost to performance ratio is solid. Thoughts?   

because they're light and comfy yes. might not matter for everybody, it does very much matter to me.
if you only seek maximum audio fidelity and neutral sound you can get better(but then you have to be sure you actually like that).

Hi everybody,
Thank you

1) if 1EQ was the answer for 1 headphone then EQ as it is wouldn't even exist. you can EQ to get a more neutral sound, for a particular music genre, because your amp is colored, or simply because you as a person enjoy more bass or more mids... so no there is no particular EQ to enhance the hd650, but yes EQ can enhance your experience of the hd650.

2) most probably the noise comes from somewhere else in your audio system, not from the headphone.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #19,132 of 46,554
  Hi everybody,
Thank you

Do you mean you get interference, or that you can hear the phone ring?  The 650's are open-backed (they have grills on the back of the ear cups rather than a solid piece of material), so they are not designed to block out sound around you.

[Edit: typo]

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #19,133 of 46,554
  Do you mean you get interference, or that you can hear the phone ring?  The 650's are open-backed (they have grills on the back of the ear cups rather than a solid piece of material), so they are not designed to block out sound around you.

[Edit: typo]

That made me laugh out loud 
popcorn.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #19,135 of 46,554
LMAO
etysmile.gif

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #19,136 of 46,554
  Hi everybody,
Thank you

Are you using a tube amp as they will can pick up mobile interference via the tubes is it a "de da dit dit dit de da" sound if so I suspect its your amp or RCA cables picking up the signal not the phones.  

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #19,140 of 46,554
Looking at my headphones, there is a lot more paint on the hd650 than the hd580. It looks like all the outer parts of the 650s are painted and I haven't had them long enough to chip the paint (two weeks). I guess I'll have to be careful.

The only chipping on my 14 year old 580s is on the headband and the only other paint on them is on the grills. The rest appears to be plain old black plastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back