Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #18,271 of 46,499

Literally just bought the HRT MSII+ 5 minutes before I saw your post. I didn't read up much on the Explorer, hopefully I made the right choice.

MSII+ is a great sounding DAC, but it somehow crashes my computer every time I try to use it for anything other than listening to music through foobar and ASIO. Not sure if there's something wrong with my unit or with the computer settings. Don't have any such problems with Modi or uDAC2, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the HRT.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #18,272 of 46,499

MSII+ is a great sounding DAC, but it somehow crashes my computer every time I try to use it for anything other than listening to music through foobar and ASIO. Not sure if there's something wrong with my unit or with the computer settings. Don't have any such problems with Modi or uDAC2, so I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the HRT.

Did you try updating the firmware?

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #18,273 of 46,499
I agree.  The 650's sound great on the MK3 with some upgraded tubes.  With so many rolling options, and many of them quite inexpensive you can really make the LD MK3 a great pairing with the 650's.  I'm currently using a pair of IBM 6BE6's in my LD MK3 and they sound awesome. 
I rolled through many different tubes. For awhile, I was using Telefunken 6ak5w's, and they were insane! Now I'm using the 6ha5's, and yes, they're the short ones. And they are seriously insane! The sound is very airy, much better soundstage, more detailed, sort of 3D sound, and they really make you think your at a concert! I thought the telefunken's did the trick, but WOW! look into buying the 6ha5's or the 6hm5's which are the tall ones. But the short ones IMHO are really insane....and they only ran me $7 a piece! :)

Jul 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #18,274 of 46,499
Did you try updating the firmware?

The updater doesn't recognize the dac on my computer or my fiancee's laptop. Whenever I set the MSII+ as my default source I get a few minutes of sound, then the sound cuts off and the audio settings crash, and I have to shut down the computer from the power button.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #18,276 of 46,499
Okay I don't know what's going on at iTunes Radio but I just heard the greatest version of White Zombie's More Human Than Human. And I certainly favor rock but I'm aware it isn't the most detailed genre ever. But this song, I kid you guys not, sounded absolutely fantastic. There was more clarity and detail in it than any other heavy rock song I've listened to, and I've listened to a lot. I played my CD lossless rip and it didn't come close; best described as muddled or veiled.

And I'm completely impressed with the HD650's ability to reach for the electronic and guitar highs but still maintain masterful control over the bass guitar and drums. I'm used to headphones getting lost in one or the other. Some reach too high and get sparkly or lose control of the bass and it gets sloppy and indistinguishable. I know a lot of people laud Grado as the rock phones to have, but the HD650 is just handling it masterfully. A genre that doesn't get a lot of attention, in Hi-Fi, is certainly showcasing the musical talent of this headphones.

Woah, what an out of head experience. I just had to stop and share with people that would understand. :)

Jul 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #18,277 of 46,499
That's what this is all about man. Enjoy.

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #18,278 of 46,499
Just received them and running them out of a DragonFly > E9 currently and the only thing I can't get over is it's soundstage / imaging / maybe airyness (though I knew that coming in) is much worse (objectively) than the HE-400s with Alpha Pads. Mids definitely are to die for though and they're much more comfortable, despite the slight itchyness of the pads and the shallow cups / pads. Just want to combine the two and I'd be in heaven. It's tone is absolutely perfect for me though. Sounds completely natural, as if I always was looking for this sound. And I probably was since I seem to tune the treble down on everything since otherwise I would wince in pain.

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #18,279 of 46,499
  Just received them and running them out of a DragonFly > E9 currently and the only thing I can't get over is it's soundstage / imaging / maybe airyness (though I knew that coming in) is much worse (objectively) than the HE-400s with Alpha Pads. Mids definitely are to die for though and they're much more comfortable, despite the slight itchyness of the pads and the shallow cups / pads. Just want to combine the two and I'd be in heaven. It's tone is absolutely perfect for me though. Sounds completely natural, as if I always was looking for this sound. And I probably was since I seem to tune the treble down on everything since otherwise I would wince in pain.

This is exactly how I hear it. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #18,280 of 46,499
  This is exactly how I hear it. 

I am not entirely sure what part you're actually referring to.

I actually just got the chills moment and ironically from a rather trancesteppy song (Seven Lions - Don't Leave), which I assumed my HE-400s would be much better at. Vocals just blend so well though even when the saw synths hit. Vocals in front of the saw synths rather than mushed in-between.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #18,281 of 46,499
Hey guys - I'm thinking of getting one of those silver plated copper cable for the HD650, like this one here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281245482262?var=580291071468&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What's the consensus on the impact on sound? I read somewhere that it sort of lifts the "veil" on the HD650 so that it sounds like a HD625 (between HD600 and HD650). What do you think?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #18,282 of 46,499
If you still don't like the sound signature of your cans with a proper amp, replacing cable won't change it. Pick another headphones.

I personally think HD650 veil thing is way overblown - they're relaxed and comfortable set of cans, but in no way "veiled" or anything...

:deadhorse:

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #18,283 of 46,499
If you still don't like the sound signature of your cans with a proper amp, replacing cable won't change it. Pick another headphones.

I personally think HD650 veil thing is way overblown - they're relaxed and comfortable set of cans, but in no way "veiled" or anything...

deadhorse.gif

+1.

I was really curious to hear this 'veil' when I got my 650's.  I've never heard any kind of veil.

I agree though, new cables aren't going to make these headphones sound different.

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #18,284 of 46,499
Its the older HD650 that had the veil. At least my old black driver HD650 did in comparison to a newer silver driver one I bought later (and sold too).

BTW Im back in the HD650 club I got new HD650 drivers for my HD580... They are not all that different

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #18,285 of 46,499
I bought my HD650 in 2008. Had the HD600 back in the early 2000s. Yes I'm aware that the veil is arguably a misnomer. It's just so much easier to use that term to describe the sound though. Anyway, I'm just curious about the impact of silver plated copper cable on the sound signature. Back in the days before HD650, upgrading the HD600 was the rage. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back