Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #17,836 of 46,507
I use the Mad Ear with my HD650......I just bought an HD800 and plan on using the MAD Ear with that also

Hopefully it will have the same synergy with the 800's as it has with the 650's.

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #17,837 of 46,507

Any tube amp with at least 5% THD. 
tongue.gif

popcorn.gif

As entertaining as that answer is, I am curious if anyone else ... never mind, I don't even want to finish the thought.  

I am going to the Minneapolis meet this weekend and will hopefully get to try out some different amps with my 650s and see what sounds different from my current amp with these cans.

Let us know if you like something other than the Crack

Jun 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #17,838 of 46,507
Let us know if you like something other than the Crack

I will, but don't know if there will be any Crack at the meet.  But will post back thoughts, one way or another.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #17,839 of 46,507
So even the new Valhalla 2 won't sound 'tubey'? Why is that and what's the point of it using tubes if it just sounds like a SS amp?

I'm confused.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #17,840 of 46,507
So even the new Valhalla 2 won't sound 'tubey'? Why is that and what's the point of it using tubes if it just sounds like a SS amp?

I'm confused.

I don't want to stir another flame wave here, but neither modern headphone tube amp would sound particularly "tubey", unless its THD figure's really bad or messed up FR.

My advice is don't choose an amplifier based on a sound coloration of some sorts. It's better done with EQ. Or buy the headphones that sound right to you, like I did swapping HD600 to HD650 for darker/beefier sound... The source/amplifying hardware should stay neutral and Valhalla 2 would do that just fine. And glow nicely in the dark.

I chose Asgard 2, because I don't need the "cool" factor and messing with the tubes. You might like Valhalla 2 more, because Schiit claims it sounds different. Maybe.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #17,841 of 46,507
Well then it's pointless. I already own an O2 and it's already making great music. What's the point in tube amps and why is everyone and their cats teĺling me the Crack makes these headphones sound wonderful?

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #17,842 of 46,507
Well then it's pointless. I already own an O2 and it's already making great music. What's the point in tube amps and why is everyone and their cats teĺling me the Crack makes these headphones sound wonderful?

That sounds like a trolling attempt, tbh. 
biggrin.gif

I won't answer that, but as far as Valhalla concerned.. you have 15 days to try it out and tell us all, if there's any difference.

Seeing you in Scotland makes it a bit complicated, I guess..

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #17,844 of 46,507
Jun 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #17,845 of 46,507
Sennheiser HD650 are great, mellow headphones. With a good source and a right record, you don't need a tube amp to get the lush, "tubey" sound out of them.

I'd buy myself a Valhalla 2 for its "sexyness" alone, but not for the sound coloration of some sorts, neither good amp would do that, either tube or solid-state...
However, I don't claim it sounds the same as Asgard 2 or any other SS amp... You can try it yourself and let us all know.

I also wouldn't buy a DIY amp from a stranger (whatever the sound claims are), but that's just me.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #17,846 of 46,507
I won't be buying any time soon as I'm in Scotland as you've seen. If the O2 is as good as it ever gets I'll be happy.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #17,847 of 46,507
I won't be buying any time soon as I'm in Scotland as you've seen. If the O2 is as good as it ever gets I'll be happy.

I'm not familiar with O2, but I've heard it's decent and that's all you might need (HD650 are fairly easy to drive).
Unless you wanna go fancy, which is also OK.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #17,848 of 46,507

I'm confused.

Why modern tube amps?

1) They have better voltage swings to drive high impendance headphones.
2) They have higher output impedance, so they have a lower damping factor, which can be more euphonic.
3) They have the mid-tone "bloom" due to their harmonic distortions that some people can hear and find pleasing.
4) Tube rolling allows the user the ability to fine tune the end sound more to their liking.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #17,849 of 46,507
  Sennheiser HD650 are great, mellow headphones. With a good source and a right record, you don't need a tube amp to get the lush, "tubey" sound out of them.

I'd buy myself a Valhalla 2 for its "sexyness" alone, but not for the sound coloration of some sorts, neither good amp would do that, either tube or solid-state...
However, I don't claim it sounds the same as Asgard 2 or any other SS amp... You can try it yourself and let us all know.

I also wouldn't buy a DIY amp from a stranger (whatever the sound claims are), but that's just me.

Definitely don't need a tube amp to get a lush sound. I can attest to that, and my setup isn't that great. I'm running an RME Babyface (22chn 24/192khz recording inteface) into a Presonus HP4 ($100 4 channel headphone amp) and honestly, and I am completely happy. The only time I feel like upgrading is when I come and read posts on here. I think the biggest thing is getting a quality D/A converter, but I wouldn't put my money where my mouth is until I've tried another amp. I certainly agree that an amp/dac should have no colouration. You should only be hearing the recording as it was intended, with the presentation and character of the 'phone

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #17,850 of 46,507

Why modern tube amps?

1) They have better voltage swings to drive high impendance headphones.
2) They have higher output impedance, so they have a lower damping factor, which can be more euphonic.
3) They have the mid-tone "bloom" due to their harmonic distortions that some people can hear and find pleasing.
4) Tube rolling allows the user the ability to fine tune the end sound more to their liking.

Exactly! Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back