Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #17,506 of 46,523
May 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #17,508 of 46,523
  What would be the best solid state amp for the 650's, and possibly for the HD800 in the future? I've been giving BH Crack a lot of thought, but with a solid state amp I wouldn't have to stress myself about different tubes. And the final price of the Crack wouldn't fall too far behind of eg. the Violectric V181/200. Other ss-amps in similar price range I've been looking into are Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear, Burson Soloist/Soloist SL, and Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear. What kind of experiences have you had with said amps, or other solid state amps in similar price range with 650's?
I'm not interested in anything overly analytical, if it stands in the way of musical enjoyment. Euphony is what I'm looking for.

TEAC HA-501 is lovely with my HD650s.

May 20, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #17,509 of 46,523
HA-1 is great with HD800

Interesting. What about the HA-1 compared to the crack with the hd800? 

popcorn.gif

May 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #17,511 of 46,523
i would go for tubes with hd800 n 650....
more versatile, just switch tubes to add some speed or bloom..
n adds that bit of "lift" to the music; FUN !!
BCL has a cooler signature, lots of microdetails...loved it when i had it.

May 21, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #17,514 of 46,523
Well, I do not have a stack of amps here, but FWIW, I bought a Lovely Cube Lehmann clone, which was so good that it sparked the demon curiosity, and I bought the Lehmann Linear SE which goes wonderful things to the HD800. I actually use a Lyr with the HD650, because I have an upstairs/downstairs setup: Lehmann/HD800 upstairs, Lyr/HD650 downstairs. I would say to you that the Lehmann demands to be heard if you are contemplating SS. The SE, is particular, is glorious. As I said, FWIW. Euphony in spades, btw.

The SE sounds tempting, but it also costs twice as much as the regular Linear, so I can rule that out. Black Cube Linear is also said to be euphonic, so I guess it would be a good choice too.

SPL Auditor and Mjolnir can also be ruled out because of XLR- and balanced connections.

May 21, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #17,515 of 46,523
The SE sounds tempting, but it also costs twice as much as the regular Linear, so I can rule that out. Black Cube Linear is also said to be euphonic, so I guess it would be a good choice too.

SPL Auditor and Mjolnir can also be ruled out because of XLR- and balanced connections.

You can read my report from post #82 ff in the "Lehmann Black Cube Linear" thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/190769/lehmann-black-cube-linear/75#post_10491104

May 21, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #17,517 of 46,523
Hey Lorspeaker, What brand and model of replacement cable are you using? Can't tell from your profile.

BTW, love your avatar pics!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-cores-Flat-braid-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-For-SENNHEISER-HD580-HD600-HD650-1-2m-/111347870031?pt=UK_MP3_Player_Accessories_Cables_Adapters&hash=item19ecd9a94f

those damsels are grreeeeeeeeat company on headfi :p

May 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #17,518 of 46,523
  What would be the best solid state amp for the 650's, and possibly for the HD800 in the future? I've been giving BH Crack a lot of thought, but with a solid state amp I wouldn't have to stress myself about different tubes. And the final price of the Crack wouldn't fall too far behind of eg. the Violectric V181/200. Other ss-amps in similar price range I've been looking into are Lehmannaudio Black Cube Linear, Burson Soloist/Soloist SL, and Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear. What kind of experiences have you had with said amps, or other solid state amps in similar price range with 650's?
I'm not interested in anything overly analytical, if it stands in the way of musical enjoyment. Euphony is what I'm looking for.

I have tried Burson and Graham Slee. I have the Graham Slee with 650 actually. Burson has too much treble and is forward for my tastes plus, it takes away the dark tone of the 650s too much. It seems to be taking away the HD650's famed "veil" also a little bit(I actually love it for the veil too). Graham Slee on the other hand has great bass, sweet treble and nice mids with no obvious cons. (I can't spot any) I tried it with the LCDs, HD800, TH900/600, AKGs, etc and I love it with any headphones. I actually had HD800 with me as well but I sold it to a friend to get me cables. Vioelectric is great as well but it seemed like Graham Slee without the mellow tube-and-solid-state-in-between-sound. Oh, and it is also musical. Hope this helps.

May 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #17,519 of 46,523
  I have received my Denon D7100 today as a swap for my HD650. I only listened for 20m and have to leave home now. For now I can say, they are different. Will update more later if anyone is interested?:) 

yes... very, very interested.  I have been "burning in" my HD 650s for a few weeks now and I can't say I am in love with these.  For some music, they are incredible; for other types of music, not so sure (for me and my ears).

I have always considered adding the Denon phones to my collection, but would appreciate a view from a former HD 650 owner.

May 21, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #17,520 of 46,523
  I have tried Burson and Graham Slee. I have the Graham Slee with 650 actually. Burson has too much treble and is forward for my tastes plus, it takes away the dark tone of the 650s too much. It seems to be taking away the HD650's famed "veil" also a little bit(I actually love it for the veil too). Graham Slee on the other hand has great bass, sweet treble and nice mids with no obvious cons. (I can't spot any) I tried it with the LCDs, HD800, TH900/600, AKGs, etc and I love it with any headphones. I actually had HD800 with me as well but I sold it to a friend to get me cables. Vioelectric is great as well but it seemed like Graham Slee without the mellow tube-and-solid-state-in-between-sound. Oh, and it is also musical. Hope this helps.

Good to know! I appreciate your input, very helpful, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back