Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #16,411 of 46,499
Does anyone in here have the HD650s hooked up to a Sound Blaster ZxR? Do they make a good match? 
Do you recommend it over, let's say, the Schiit combo (Schiit Magni+Modi)?

I would go with a dedicated DAC/Amp over any sound card. I think the Vali is much more enjoyable than the Magni with the HD 650s. Plus you could upgrade your amp separately later! My suggestion would be Modi/Vali or Bottlehead Crack/Behringer UCA202 DAC if you have a little bit bigger budget and DIY skills.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #16,412 of 46,499
Sometimes I think even the Head-fier's on these forums don't mention in strong enough terms how very important a good amp is to the total enjoyment of headphones in general and these (HD650) phones in particular. I thought I had a pretty good amp and was getting real good sound out of my 650's. I just got a Lyr amp and I can categorically state that I couldn't have been more wrong. This amp has transformed these phones into something more than I could have expected. I didn't know what the veil was people kept mentioning, but I do now, because it is GONE! All I can say is to repeat what others have said, "Don't skimp on your amplification for these phones if you really want to hear them at full potential." I was actually beginning to think there was something lacking in my Modi dac, but the dac is fine, not fine really but great. It was all in the amp, or more specifically lack of a good amp.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #16,413 of 46,499
  Sometimes I think even the Head-fier's on these forums don't mention in strong enough terms how very important a good amp is to the total enjoyment of headphones in general and these (HD650) phones in particular. I thought I had a pretty good amp and was getting real good sound out of my 650's. I just got a Lyr amp and I can categorically state that I couldn't have been more wrong. This amp has transformed these phones into something more than I could have expected. I didn't know what the veil was people kept mentioning, but I do now, because it is GONE! All I can say is to repeat what others have said, "Don't skimp on your amplification for these phones if you really want to hear them at full potential." I was actually beginning to think there was something lacking in my Modi dac, but the dac is fine, not fine really but great. It was all in the amp, or more specifically lack of a good amp.

Good to hear!
Well I had a few nice amplifiers to begin with, so I didn't experience that huge increase as you did for example! They allways sounded nice to me.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #16,414 of 46,499
  Does anyone in here have the HD650s hooked up to a Sound Blaster ZxR? Do they make a good match? 
Do you recommend it over, let's say, the Schiit combo (Schiit Magni+Modi)?

I have a Zx in my PC. It sounds alright. I usually listen through an Oppo BDP-103 / Asgard 2 combo in my living room, which I do like better, but that SB series is pretty well done.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #16,415 of 46,499

Yes, yes, yes! ++++++++1. The HD650s need the best amplification not to sound closed-in and woffly. IMHO

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #16,416 of 46,499
G'day fellas. I've been a rather long time lurker on the forum, and today, I thought it'd finally be time to join.
Why? Because it's my Sennheiser HD 650's 4 years used day. And I must say, there hasn't been a day I've regretted getting them. They are just so great!
I've done the coin mod and removed the little foam pads behind the elements.
Now, I know I'll most likely get disgusted faces when I tell I've been driving these with the Asus Xonar Essence STX for the past few years, but alas, it was the best option at the time for my measly budget. 
Now, for future, I was wondering if there was some amp I should get to drive these Sennheisers or does that require budget bigger than the headphones themselves? And as I've probably gone through 3 cords during the lifespan, is there a cord I should get or just keep buying these stock cords that apparently for some reason tend to die every year or so?

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #16,417 of 46,499
As for amp build, if you good with soldering, or buy assembled from for sale forum Bottlhead Crack. As for cable, if you not ready to spend some good money, keep buying stock but buying a good aftermarket one will save you in a long term since they last longer and you can get length you need

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #16,418 of 46,499
Mar 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #16,419 of 46,499
As for amp build, if you good with soldering, or buy assembled from for sale forum Bottlhead Crack. As for cable, if you not ready to spend some good money, keep buying stock but buying a good aftermarket one will save you in a long term since they last longer and you can get length you need

I don't think buying an used one would be the best idea, since I do live on the other side of the world, compared to your average user. Shipping costs across the sea are insane, unless you have a bulk deal for such.

So cables, check.
As for the amp/dac, could my Xonar be used still as a dac if I'd get, let's say a Schiit amp?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #16,420 of 46,499

If you are looking for a crack try this guys...

Alright, so no new cable - check.

As for buying an used one, it might be a bit too pricey, since I assume most of them are across the sea and the shipping isn't cheap, unless you've made some sort of a bulk deal.
Would it make any sense to use something like Schiit with my Xonar, or should I just get dac as well?

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #16,421 of 46,499

If you are looking for a crack try this guys...

Alright, so no new cable - check.

As for buying an used one, it might be a bit too pricey, since I assume most of them are across the sea and the shipping isn't cheap, unless you've made some sort of a bulk deal.
Would it make any sense to use something like Schiit with my Xonar, or should I just get dac as well?

I would upgrade Dac too. If you want Shiit amp go with Lyr

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #16,423 of 46,499
   "I was wondering if there was some amp I should get to drive these Sennheisers or does that require budget bigger than the headphones themselves? And as I've probably gone through 3 cords during the lifespan, is there a cord I should get or just keep buying these stock cords that apparently for some reason tend to die every year or so?"

You really will find you benefit by going for a better amp rather than going down the cable route.
You amp is the window through which you view your source it really does not matter how much you spend on a cable it can not improve on poor amplification only mask the inadequacies.  Cables would be one of the very last things I would consider changing. Get a decent amp like a Crack and you wont need aftermarket cable if you still feel the urge consider spending the money on upgrading your Crack instead and you will be surprised by how good it can get for less than the price of a half decent aftermarket cable.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #16,424 of 46,499
I would go with a dedicated DAC/Amp over any sound card. I think the Vali is much more enjoyable than the Magni with the HD 650s. Plus you could upgrade your amp separately later! My suggestion would be Modi/Vali or Bottlehead Crack/Behringer UCA202 DAC if you have a little bit bigger budget and DIY skills.

I have a Zx in my PC. It sounds alright. I usually listen through an Oppo BDP-103 / Asgard 2 combo in my living room, which I do like better, but that SB series is pretty well done.

The question is I'll be doing gaming with the HD650s too, and the Sound Blaster emulates 5.1 surround sound and has a good EQ software. If I go with an external DAC/Amp now, I'll lose those features. Aren't the Burr-Brown DACs in the ZxR technically better than the Modi?

What if I go with the sound card now and get the Vali later for extra amplification? I'm assuming the TI TP6120A2 amp chip in the card is the weakest link in the chain. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #16,425 of 46,499

You really will find you benefit by going for a better amp rather than going down the cable route.
You amp is the window through which you view your source it really does not matter how much you spend on a cable it can not improve on poor amplification only mask the inadequacies.  Cables would be one of the very last things I would consider changing. Get a decent amp like a Crack and you wont need aftermarket cable if you still feel the urge consider spending the money on upgrading your Crack instead and you will be surprised by how good it can get for less than the price of a half decent aftermarket cable.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back