Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 23, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #16,051 of 46,499
Hi,

I have a small problem with my cans. The earcup connection with the headband makes a "noise" if they move. If I adjust them properly they will not move while on my head, and the noise disappear.

Does anybody ele has the same problem?

Thanks,

Daniel

Anyone else have this issue?  One of my earcups is "looser" than the other side and it seems like the looser side makes this "noise."  The other side feels tight and doesn't make this noise.  Very hard to describe the noise by typing it..

The "squeaky noise" sounds somewhat like squeaks but somewhat also like the rubbing of plastics together.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #16,052 of 46,499
The noise could be that the driver has unclipped inside the earcup, happened to me... beside that I don't know.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #16,056 of 46,499
  is that a helpful answer? I read a thread elswhere talking about new drivers. Im not quite sure why you think i shouldnt ask if theres been an update?

is that a helpful answer? I read a thread elswhere talking about new drivers. Im not quite sure why you think i shouldnt ask if theres been an update?

A quick google check has shown that the old drivers used a black screen for their drivers, whereas the "updated" drivers used a white one. Whether this has changed the sound signature in any way, it is hard to tell. The update itself has happened around 2007: a quick check shows that mine is pre 2007.

An article from Headfonia claims that the updated drivers were what "removed the sennheiser veil", making them sound more natural. Whatever it could be I still enjoy my HD650s, plus I am sensitive to highs which makes the veil a comfortable compromise for me.

If you are really curious, I guess you could try purchasing the driver capsules, They're about £38 ($65) per capsule mind you. Taking it apart is deceptively easy.

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #16,060 of 46,499
  "Joe Bonamassa!"  Wayyyy awesome!

My fav track is "Driving towards the daylight"

Happy Listening!

Thanks......Last kiss is one of my many favorites....just to damn many to name.
  I love your taste :)

Thanks.

I will now have 3 cd's of him, and I plan on getting every single one of them....the dude has some off the hook skills, to say the least. 
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #16,061 of 46,499
I'm probably jumping on "this HD650 bandwagon" soon, just kidding :laughing:. Regardless of other H/ps technical superiorities, HD650 has an incredibly musical amazement. They are just so easy to listen, and music is not supposed to hurt your ears. They mate perfectly with Crack and I was totally shocked since first time I put them on my head. I'm better of saving up now. If anyone here has HD650 in mint condition willing to sale, pm me for details.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #16,064 of 46,499
Hi all, new to this forum.  I've had my 650's since October, but haven't spent real quality time with them until this weekend.  After spending Sunday afternoon sipping Tanqueray and tonics and enjoying the goodness of these headphones, it seems to me that they were simply made for listening to Pink Floyd & Roger Waters.  Listening to Waters' "Amused to Death" was an almost religious experience.  Currently, listening straight out of my mid-2011 iMac, but have some Shiit on the way -- Asgard 2.  When funds free up, I'll add more Schiit -- thinking an Uber Bifrost.

Anyway, just wanted to share the joy!  Really enjoying the experience and reading this forum.

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #16,065 of 46,499
^^  Congrats and glad to hear that you've been enjoying them. My experience is that you'll hear some improvement as well after they get past 100 hours or so..ymmv. But for sure, these hp's response very well and scale up with better gear. The uberfrost is a very nice upgrade and it's where I ended up.

And for the amp, I spend A LOT of time with the Asgard2 and the hd650. It's a good combo. The A2 offer nice clean resolving power that compliments the 650 well. But...if you want to truly have a religious experience you'll have to try the 650 with the Crack amp. It's a match made in heaven. IMO

I denied the 650 for years because of the reviews about being veiled and slow. Wrong. Then I denied the crack for years also because I'm not that much of a diy guy when it comes to building amps. My advice, if you don't want to build it then ask someone to build it for you. There are a great community of very handy people who would offer to do it for nearly a song. 

I've been serious about quality audio for 20 years. The ONLY setup that I've heard that floored me more than the crack/650 was the Stax sr/007 mkii and the Blue Hawaii. That's it period. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back