Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #15,167 of 46,518
Thanks everyone for the props for Wayne. He was quick to respond and I have placed an order with him for what I want.

Awesome.

You won't be sorry, he does excellent work, and uses quality materials.  I am very happy with them and the ebay transaction was perfect.  Communication with Wayne was fast and friendly.  DOn

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #15,168 of 46,518
  The only advantage of balanced is the extra voltage swing and only of you really need it. Not many cans are that extreme. Rejection of interference does not apply for this application. A good SE cable has separate ground returns for each channel in the cable that meet at the plug so cross talk or separation issues will not exist. The stock SE cables for my HD600 and HE-500 have separate ground returns.
Edit: The Gunginir has SE outputs so balanced is not required for its use.

Oh, oops...I guess I wasn't thinking when I said that. I was referring to the Mjolnir. I don't know how much more you could squeeze out from the HD 650 with the Gungnir and Mjolnir over Bifrost Uber and Valhalla. I figure if you do get the Gungnir, you might as well go for balanced or just stick with the Bifrost Uber.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #15,170 of 46,518
  Just got HD650s for christmas! So far I love them but i feel like its . Like the m-50s. Should i return them?

So are you going to ask strangers to tell you how to feel when you already know? How much do you love them vs. you feel like they are too much of the norm? So, what are you going to do?

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #15,171 of 46,518
  Just got HD650s for christmas! So far I love them but i feel like its too much of the norm. Like the m-50s. Should i return them?

Quote:
  So are you going to ask strangers to tell you how to feel when you already know? How much do you love them vs. you feel like they are too much of the norm? So, what are you going to do?

If you're not amping them with 100W RMS per channel and a vintage Marantz, you should return them.  Oh wait, this isn't the HE-500s thread?  My bad 
biggrin.gif

But... how are you amping them?  Also, what StanD said.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #15,172 of 46,518
SE still isn't shielded like a balanced cable despite the (possible) different ground paths. I don't know how much noise you get from an unshielded power cord, but mine are right on top of each other. Anyway just pointing that out, I don't mean to drag the thread into a cable fight :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #15,173 of 46,518
SE still isn't shielded like a balanced cable despite the (possible) different ground paths. I don't know how much noise you get from an unshielded power cord, but mine are right on top of each other. Anyway just pointing that out, I don't mean to drag the thread into a cable fight :)

Headphone lines are not high impedance high gain circuits, these are not mic lines and not so touchy as to noise/emi pickup. My HE-500 cable is SE, however, each channel has a twisted pair with the grounds meeting at the plug. I wouldn't worry about the unshielded power cord, there's many power lines and cords all around you that are not shielded and nothing bad is happening. Even if you are picking up RFI/EMI through a power cord, shielding it is not the complete answer as the induced interference will come in through your power lines anyway, so you'd need power line filters/conditioners as well. Don't lose sleep over this, enjoy the music instead.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #15,174 of 46,518
Guys, I've deleted some of the off-topic posts about cables here. Please don't forget this is a thread about the HD-650s and not one about cables.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #15,175 of 46,518
Back on topic...what is the average life of the pads on the 650? I decided to grab an extra pair but want to get the most life from the original pair. Given that I give them a gentle bath every 4-6 months, how long should a set of pads last?

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #15,176 of 46,518
  Guys, I've deleted some of the off-topic posts about cables here. Please don't forget this is a thread about the HD-650s and not one about cables..

Hold on does this then mean if we have a dedicated thread for cables we are then not allowed to talk about which headphones we use them with as it will a cable thread and talking about headphones will be considered off topic? What about after market ear pads is that allowed?

I am all for moderation of disruptive or abusive posts when required but surly for a hand full of post about cables this seems a bit ott

Rant Over

Happy New Year.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #15,177 of 46,518
Hold on does this then mean if we have a dedicated thread for cables we are then not allowed to talk about which headphones we use them with as it will a cable thread and talking about headphones will be considered off topic? What about after market ear pads is that allowed?

I am all for moderation of disruptive or abusive posts when required but surly for a hand full of post about cables this seems a bit ott

Rant Over

Happy New Year.
He said some not all. Look at the last couple of pages. Nothing of use seems to be lost.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #15,178 of 46,518
  Back on topic...what is the average life of the pads on the 650? I decided to grab an extra pair but want to get the most life from the original pair. Given that I give them a gentle bath every 4-6 months, how long should a set of pads last?

Well Matt, since you have an extra pair you could just compare the two and keep track how much they compress vs. the spare pair you have over time?
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #15,179 of 46,518

Well Matt, since you have an extra pair you could just compare the two and keep track how much they compress vs. the spare pair you have over time?
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how many members might have caught the article on Headfonia with respect to how the sound could change as a Sennheiser pad ages.  

http://www.headfonia.com/what-happens-as-the-cushion-pads-ages/

* I've posted the link to the article which I found of unique benefit when I read it several months ago.  I'm assuming that the link to Headfonia would be OK as some links to other sites could cause a bit of contention with Head-Fi.  Apologies if the link to that site might be prohibited.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #15,180 of 46,518

I'm not sure how many members might have caught the article on Headfonia with respect to how the sound could change as a Sennheiser pad ages.  

http://www.headfonia.com/what-happens-as-the-cushion-pads-ages/

* I've posted the link to the article which I found of unique benefit when I read it several months ago.  I'm assuming that the link to Headfonia would be OK as some links to other sites could cause a bit of contention with Head-Fi.  Apologies if the link to that site might be prohibited.

Very interesting, especially for the HD800. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back