Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #15,151 of 46,499
Replacing the headband and earpads on the HD650 are probably the easiest of any headphones out there.

There are two tabs on the inside of the headband that pop out (one on either side). Once they're removed the foam portion just slides right out. You slide in the new one and put the tabs back. And you're done!

Earpads are even easier. They just pull off and the new ones snap in where the old ones were.

I'm sure you could find a YouTube video showing how to do it.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #15,152 of 46,499
Replacing the headband and earpads on the HD650 are probably the easiest of any headphones out there.

There are two tabs on the inside of the headband that pop out (one on either side). Once they're removed the foam portion just slides right out. You slide in the new one and put the tabs back. And you're done!

Earpads are even easier. They just pull off and the new ones snap in where the old ones were.

I'm sure you could find a YouTube video showing how to do it.

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure I have seen those tabs. I will check them out as soon as I get home. If only they were a bit cheaper!

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #15,153 of 46,499
  Does anyone have an upgrade for the HD 650, other then the LCD-2? I'm looking for something like the hd 650 but more controlled bass and non recessed mid range. LCD are just to heavy for me even though I love the sound and think it would be the best upgrade headphone. Thanks. budget 1500ish.

I wanted a pair of Thunderpants, to compliment the HD650s.  But alas, smeggy has disappeared.  And these are quite tough to find.  The Alpha dogs are now on my list of new "compliments"...

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #15,154 of 46,499
My HD650's have hit 3 years old today, still sounding as good as ever!!!!!!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #15,156 of 46,499
Looking for a shorter cable (4ft or 5ft) for the HD650. I am not looking to spend a lot.

I read that you can make your own by buying a stock HD650 cable and cutting it down to size you want, but I do not have the tools or skills to do that.

I found this 5ft one on eBay for $60: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111173550612?lpid=82 Any thoughts?

Also, I remember reading somewhere on here there might be someone who can make a custom one for somewhere around that price, but can't remember where or who.
If anyone has a link or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I know that CARDAS also makes some quailty cables for the HD650, but they are all a little pricey for me.

Thanks for anyone that can help me.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #15,158 of 46,499
Looking for a shorter cable (4ft or 5ft) for the HD650. I am not looking to spend a lot.

I read that you can make your own by buying a stock HD650 cable and cutting it down to size you want, but I do not have the tools or skills to do that.

I found this 5ft one on eBay for $60: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111173550612?lpid=82 Any thoughts?

Also, I remember reading somewhere on here there might be someone who can make a custom one for somewhere around that price, but can't remember where or who.
If anyone has a link or can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

I know that CARDAS also makes some quailty cables for the HD650, but they are all a little pricey for me.

Thanks for anyone that can help me.

I bought a cable from this man here, he is also a forum member.  The cable is perfect for what I needed.....http://www.ebay.com/usr/wjernst

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #15,159 of 46,499
Jan 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #15,161 of 46,499
Last night I was on the verge of listing my HD 650s for sale.  The fit was pissing me off, and the dreaded veil seemed present on things I wanted to listen to.  Sleep and a fresh perspective, not to mention different music, has me appreciating them much more.  The fit is still an issue (I'm really used to round AKG pads), but once they settle they're so light that it doesn't bug me too much.  I'm driving them with the Lyr and have tried a few tubes.  The Bugle Boy Straight Mans are a good fit.  I was thinking the RTCs with their airy presentation and not so potent bass would be a good match, but I was in a bad mood by the time I'd rolled them in.  They'll get a second chance.  I just got a couple pairs of 1974 Voskhod Rockets at a ridonculous price from Russia (Спасибо, Maria!) and am currently burning in the first pair.  Like the Super Cryo Reflektors I have, they're pretty energetic (those Reflektors need to chillax, actually), and after 15 or so hours they sound great with the HD 650s, given the "right" music.  "Right" seems to mean music where the bass is not prominent in the mix, but maybe should be.  I'm no basshead, but I want it in the mix.  I love Les Pattinson's picking; simple but effective.  Steely Dan and Echo & the Bunnymen are getting some play time, and they both sound great.

The other thing I compared was the stock cable vs. the ZY HiFi cable (ZY-005) I got for them.  The ZY cable is a bit cleaner overall than the stock, and seems to open up the sound a bit more.  Stock is OK, but for my ears the ZY was a good investment.  It's not crazy expensive, but I waffled a bit before adding it to the order.

Someone almost got a good deal on these.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #15,165 of 46,499
For me HD700 and 800 have bass as good as HD650 but have better instrument separation and details retrieval plus wide soundstage then HD650

bass of the 700 and the 800, well, they're not really lacking but not really extended or as punchy it seems like to me.

Not sure about extended but it deep any punchy for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back