Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #14,882 of 46,554
Welcome to the family :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #14,883 of 46,554
YAY....!
L3000.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #14,886 of 46,554
  Well.. I've owned the HD650 for two weeks.. used it daily (so I sense it's pretty well conditioned by now).. and I'm in love with it.  There's few, if any, other full sized phones (I've owned) that I've looked so forward to using more than the 650... yes, the 650 slots above the HD800, HE-500, and HD600 in this respect.  The HD800 is something else.. an absolutely magnificent achievement.. but it was practically almost distracting in it's 'epic'-ness.  The 650 really feels like a blend of many of my favorite parts of the HD600, HD800, and HE-500.. so it's no wonder I seem to enjoy it so much.

Regardless of how I find it, I can't see myself letting go of the HD650.  It simply sounds too impressive (and addictive) off my BH Crack.  There may be better phones than the HD650.. and better amps than the BH Crack.. but this combo could go toe to toe w/ practically anything I've heard.. when it comes to sheer enjoyment and immersion.

I shall report back on how the LCD-2 stacks up to the HD650 when it arrives!

I feel very much the same way about my Beyer T'1s I am in awe at their ability every time I use them.  I honestly planned to move the 650's on but they are just so good for just sitting back relaxing and enjoying music with.  Listening with the BH Crack just took that enjoyment to a whole other level.  I have no plans to let go of them as they are a magic combination.

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #14,887 of 46,554
You all have convinced me to acquire bh crack. Now to convince the wife!

So far I have only used my 650 with the Dragonfly. I am very happy with it but it has yet to blow me away. I think it is underpowered to really impress. So far I find them similar to my P7, but I haven't done any direct A/B time. Hopefully I can find some time during the holidays. And hopefully I can find some Christmas money to write the letters BH on. :)

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #14,888 of 46,554
You all have convinced me to acquire bh crack. Now to convince the wife!

So far I have only used my 650 with the Dragonfly. I am very happy with it but it has yet to blow me away. I think it is underpowered to really impress. So far I find them similar to my P7, but I haven't done any direct A/B time. Hopefully I can find some time during the holidays. And hopefully I can find some Christmas money to write the letters BH on.
smily_headphones1.gif

You definitely won't be disappointed with the Crack/HD 650 combo. I think you'll find that it lifts the HD 650 to that next "wow!" level. And down the road, it gets even better with the Speedball upgrade. Do you plan on building yours or buying pre-built? (Assuming you can convince the wife!)
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #14,889 of 46,554
I would build it I think. I enjoy projects like that. I'm probably a bit rusty on soldering but I have built a few rc cars in my day so I think I would be ok. Actually the build is part of the appeal to me. If they were still $219 I would be all over it. At $279 it will take a bit more convincing.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #14,890 of 46,554
I would build it I think. I enjoy projects like that. I'm probably a bit rusty on soldering but I have built a few rc cars in my day so I think I would be ok. Actually the build is part of the appeal to me. If they were still $219 I would be all over it. At $279 it will take a bit more convincing.

FWIW I've listened to, and owned amps twice the price and I'd say at $279 it's still very much worth it. The speedball upgrade, while great, might be pushing it though if you are concerned about cost. The BH drives a lot of other headphones really well too. Hell, even the Q701/K702 sounds pretty nice on it. Only headphones I didn't like on it were the HE-400/500/6. HE-400 treble was a bit harsh and the 500/6 sounded underpowered.

I had never soldered anything before my first Crack build. I've since built 3. It's pretty straightforward.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #14,891 of 46,554
FWIW I've listened to, and owned amps twice the price and I'd say at $279 it's still very much worth it. The speedball upgrade, while great, might be pushing it though if you are concerned about cost. The BH drives a lot of other headphones really well too. Hell, even the Q701/K702 sounds pretty nice on it. Only headphones I didn't like on it were the HE-400/500/6. HE-400 treble was a bit harsh and the 500/6 sounded underpowered.

I had never soldered anything before my first Crack build. I've since built 3. It's pretty straightforward.

I have no doubt it's a great value. It's just a harder sell to the wife. :wink: And thanks for the words of comfort on the build. Now to wait for the right time to bring it up.

Dec 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #14,892 of 46,554
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #14,893 of 46,554
The Ember is a terrific match for the 650.. if you're tight on space, it's a great choice since it's pretty tidy.  That being said, the BH Crack + SB is a more impressive combo (to my ears).  The Ember is, comparatively, more intimate in presentation (not intimate in an absolute sense.. cause the SB'ed BH Crack's stage is positively spacious).. but the upside is it can power a variety of phones (including orthos) quite well.  Being able to roll both 6v & 12v tubes (on the fly!) is really cool, as well.  The Ember is very transparent to the tube used.. it's dead quiet.. and possesses excellent dynamics.  I've liked how it pairs with every headphones I've tossed at it.. especially the HE-500.

Many seem to like the LCD-2 most with solid state gear.. but most solid state gear I've heard in the $300-$700 range seems to lack a realistic sense of stage depth.  IME, that's my favorite aspect of the tube gear I've owned.. it provides a better sense of depth than the SS gear I've owned.  I'm keeping the Ember around to see how it pairs with the LCD-2.. if it doesn't float my boat, the Ember will be up for sale.

Re: the speedball option for the Crack.. I haven't heard a Crack w/o the speedball, so I'm not sure what a stock Crack sounds like.. but judging by the consensus of opinions on what the speedball does, I tend to feel it's a very valuable upgrade to the Crack you plan to use the 650 with it: a cleaner, tighter sound.. better clarity & dynamics.. a lower noise floor.. all things the HD650 would certainly benefit from.  But the beauty of the Crack kit?  You can always install it at a later time.

If Bottlehead sent boutique handbags with their Crack kits, it would be a whole lot easier to convince wives and they'd probably triple sales overnight.. LOL!

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #14,894 of 46,554
I recently added the speedball and liked the results but its not a night and day type of difference .  Its more of a refinement of the qualities the stock Crack is already fantastic at.

From BH Speedball product page

"So what does it do for the sound? The most immediate thing you will notice is a better sense of clarity. Things get tighter and quicker, bass and midrange get cleaner and more dynamic sounding, and the background gets more quiet. As with all of our upgrade kits, the improvement is easily heard."

And it does exactly that. Its good at all the above stock, Speedball is the icing on the cake.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #14,895 of 46,554
I totally agree with Jamie.  The speedball is a nice add-on, but the stock crack is excellent in its own right, and particularly well matched with hd650's to my ears.  From the outset, I far preferred my stock crack to my prior woo 3 (which aint a bad amp!), even with a pair of very pricey amperex pq 7308's driving the woo.  Adding the speedball, film caps, fancy pot, etc. are all fun potential tweaks to consider in the future, but I am definitely a proponent of enjoying and living with the stock build for a little while at least.     

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back