Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #11,508 of 46,514
Mar 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #11,509 of 46,514
Quote:
LOL $1000?  If you can find brand new HD800s for $1000 please let me know!!

oppss.....mine was 2xx less.  
blink.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #11,510 of 46,514
My HD650's arrived in the mail yesterday, very happy! So different from my 325i's, but still so good. A much more relaxing headphone to listen to, and obviously the bass is much better. The soundstage sounds quite a bit better, too. 

Out of sheer curiosity, do any of you have some suggestions for songs that just sound ridiculously good with the 650's? 

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #11,512 of 46,514
Quote:
Thanks, I'll probably also get it faster from B&H than direct from sennheiser. I think the main difference is sennheiser charges $10 to ship it, on top of also charging tax. Looking forward to receiving them.

Spoke too soon, online orders closed until Wednesday 8:30PM for Passover. Orders placed won't ship until April 3rd 
triportsad.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #11,513 of 46,514
Quote:
My HD650's arrived in the mail yesterday, very happy! So different from my 325i's, but still so good. A much more relaxing headphone to listen to, and obviously the bass is much better. The soundstage sounds quite a bit better, too. 

Out of sheer curiosity, do any of you have some suggestions for songs that just sound ridiculously good with the 650's? 

Everything sounds good from HD650 
biggrin.gif

Few of my favorites :

Five Finger Death Punch - Meet The Monster - guitars on this one are best
System of a Down - Deer Dance
Sybreed - the Line of Least Resistance

But I'am not sure if it's your cup of tea 
basshead.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #11,514 of 46,514
^^ Vocals sound deliciously good on the 650, especially female vocals. Just pick your favorite artist. 

Kd Lang Hymn of the 48th Parallel (the whole album)

Carolina Chocolate Drop-Leaving Eden

Melody Gardot- The Absence (see my avatar 
size]
)

Mar 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #11,515 of 46,514
For anyone interested, I just posted an impression of the 650s being driven by the new Naim DAC-V1 over in the source components forum.

I now really understand why people say the 650s scale well; they sounded like a different and much more expensive headphone.

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #11,516 of 46,514
Quote:

I was reading the old vs new discussion on Purrin's site when post from Solderdude piqued my interest as he was talking about pads differences and linked to that Japanese blog comparing two
http://sonove.angry.jp/HD650_Pad_effect.html

I had a pair of new HD650 pads that I purchased recently but was holding on installing them as my original pads were not so worn out. So after the reading I checked the pads and wow, the foam inside new pads is much stiffer comparing to my old (black drivers) original HD650 pads, even that they don't have a lot of mileage on them. They are also deeper as picture above shows.
So I went ahead and installed new pads. And bam, instant gratification, bass got super tight and top end gained extra sparkle, the instrument positioning is more precise with more cohesive soundstage and better imaging.
deadhorse.gif

Wow, just can't believe how much I was missing with old style, soft foam pads. These puppies give me some serious eargasm and goose bumps now.
Veil, what veil?
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #11,517 of 46,514
Quote:
Wow, just can't believe how much I was missing with old style, soft foam pads. These puppies give me some serious eargasm and goose bumps now.
Veil, what veil?
biggrin.gif

Those "new" pads are really so much better ?

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #11,520 of 46,514
Quote:

Those "new" pads are really so much better ?

There is another link in the blog I posted before
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/04/introduction-it-is-generally-known-that.html

As you can see treble took quite a dive with older pads.

Quote:
Originally posted by Udauda

Now everything makes sense:. While the physical transformation of a transducer is occurring very slowly in an almost inaudible fashion, the ear cushions age relatively faster, thus making more noticeable change in the tonality The still-firm new cushions sink deeper into the head's shape with repeated usage, and consequently, bring the transducer closer to the listener's ear.

This is such an ingenious fine-tuning technique, almost like of a musical instrument. As HD650 ages, its timbre will turn from a pronounced treble to a laid-back bass, which is a well-known sonic signature of Sennheiser. Now I can never say HD650 does not break-in.

To my ears the difference is far from small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back