Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #9,662 of 46,565
Quote:
Boom! Hd650's just came in... can't listen to them 'till Christmas, but they look amazing, not too comfy though yet.
triportsad.gif

You can open the box and put them on but you can't listen to them? Whoever bought it for you sure is taunting you LOL

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #9,663 of 46,565
Been lurking a long time, just joined to say that although I love my 650, I've decided it's time to upgrade.

I'm considering the HD800 and the LCD2. I would imagine the latter would be closer to my beloved 650 in sound, but better in most manners?

I have a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr setup right now. Would that be good enough for the LCD2?

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #9,664 of 46,565
Quote:
Been lurking a long time, just joined to say that although I love my 650, I've decided it's time to upgrade.

I'm considering the HD800 and the LCD2. I would imagine the latter would be closer to my beloved 650 in sound, but better in most manners?

I have a Schiit Bifrost/Lyr setup right now. Would that be good enough for the LCD2?

People have said that the HD800 absolutely destroy's the LCD2 and is much more comfortable(Also, people say that the HD800 is the most comfy headphone they've ever had, even compared to the Stax SR-009.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #9,665 of 46,565
Quote:
People have said that the HD800 absolutely destroy's the LCD2 and is much more comfortable(Also, people say that the HD800 is the most comfy headphone they've ever had, even compared to the Stax SR-009.)

Hmm...why even compare these two hp's much less say one destroys the other. One planar, one dynamic driver...apples and oranges. Very different in design, goal and execution of said goal. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #9,666 of 46,565
Quote:

I think you're overstating the HD800's abilities.  The HD800 and LCD-2 are both top performers with the HD800 having the slight edge in technical ability and overall transparency.  I think the better question for any perspective buyer, is which headphone's sound signature is more in line with their personal preference.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #9,667 of 46,565
Quote:
Quote:

I think you're overstating the HD800's abilities.  The HD800 and LCD-2 are both top performers with the HD800 having the slight edge in technical ability and overall transparency.  I think the better question for any perspective buyer, is which headphone's sound signature is more in line with their personal preference.

Hm, I much preferred the HD800 to the LCD2 when I tried both. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #9,668 of 46,565
Quote:
Boom! Hd650's just came in... can't listen to them 'till Christmas, but they look amazing, not too comfy though yet.
triportsad.gif

I had the same feeling, it takes some getting used to. I've had my Hd650's for 2 days now and it's getting there. I stretched out my headband a little bit (by grabbing the exposed section and bending it, not the hard plastic). Made it less clampy. I also noticed there the cups weren't fully tilting back because there was a bit of plastic from the injection mold in the way. Stuck a hobby knife down in the hole and cut off the nub which was blocking the full rotation. Allowed me to angle the cups further back taking pressure off my temples.

Might want to look into that.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #9,669 of 46,565
Quote:
This is an interesting pair of headphones.

All the reviews I've been reading about it have people raving about it.

I'm not an audiophile, but I love music and am interested in getting into the art of audiophilia to hear what I'm really missing out on.

This is the first place I've ever been to where I found out about purchasing amps for headphones. I've never heard of an amp for headphones, so can someone help explain to me the purpose of them?

I am looking for a pair of headphones myself and this one intrigues me. What type of amp would I have to look into buying?

When looking at headphones, think of them as mini-speakers.  These mini-speakers(like with regular speakers) need power to properly operate.  Any device that allows one to plug in headphones has a headphone amplifier from smart phones to CD players to full-size stereo receivers.  Without it, a device cannot power headphones to produce sound.

If most music playing(and some non) devices have built-in headphone amps(amplifier), why would one need an external headphone amp?  Well, for most earphones and many full-size headphones the built-in amps of these devices are enough.  For higher impedance headphones(120 Ohms and up) however, require more power to properly perform than lower impedance headphones.  An external headphone amp will provide the extra power needed(as well other benefits) to properly drive higher impedance headphones.

As with many things there are exceptions, so look at this as more of a general guide line than a rule.  As you learn and explore this hobby, you'll get a better feel for when you actually need an external amp.  As for what type of external amp or "amp" to get for the HD650?  Some safe choices are Fiio's E09K, the O2 headphone amp, and Schiit audio's recently released Magni.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9,670 of 46,565
Quote:

When looking at headphones, think of them as mini-speakers.  These mini-speakers(like with regular speakers) need power to properly operate.  Any device that allows one to plug in headphones has a headphone amplifier from smart phones to CD players to full-size stereo receivers.  Without it, a device cannot power headphones to produce sound.

If most music playing(and some non) devices have built-in headphone amps(amplifier), why would one need an external headphone amp?  Well, for most earphones and many full-size headphones the built-in amps of these devices are enough.  For higher impedance headphones(120 Ohms and up) however, require more power to properly perform than lower impedance headphones.  An external headphone amp will provide the extra power needed(as well other benefits) to properly drive higher impedance headphones.

As with many things there exceptions to this rule, so look at this as more of a general guide line.  As you learn and explore this hobby, you'll get a better feel for when you actually need an external amp.  As for what type of external amp or "amp" to get for the HD650?  Some safe choices are Fiio's E09K, the O2 headphone amp, and Schiit audio's recently released Magni.

Very well explained, thank you sir. IMO a lot of newbies like myself wonder the same thing...this should be stickied or something lol.  For me though, I knew I needed an amp so it was a little less confusing.  The part where I have doubts is a DAC.  I can understand a PC from like 1995 lacking good D/A conversions...but I really wonder if there is a significant benefit worth the $$$ for a budget-minded person like myself to get a DAC.  I really wish I knew of audio places to test out things and compare....but there aren't any that I know of in my area (aside from Sam Ash, Best Buy, etc.)

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #9,671 of 46,565
I'm really enjoying my odac and o2 and hd650 (like, really enjoying from hd595 and udac2), but should I be second guessing whether I should have given the HE-400 a try after stumbling upon it in this forum? ?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #9,672 of 46,565
I'm really enjoying my odac and o2 and hd650 (like, really enjoying from hd595 and udac2), but should I be second guessing whether I should have given the HE-400 a try after stumbling upon it in this forum? ?
I'm thinking of going O2 + ODAC or Modi for my new Senns 'till I get some Crack. xD Also, how's the mids on the combo?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #9,673 of 46,565
Very well explained, thank you sir. IMO a lot of newbies like myself wonder the same thing...this should be stickied or something lol.  For me though, I knew I needed an amp so it was a little less confusing.  The part where I have doubts is a DAC.  I can understand a PC from like 1995 lacking good D/A conversions...but I really wonder if there is a significant benefit worth the $$$ for a budget-minded person like myself to get a DAC.  I really wish I knew of audio places to test out things and compare....but there aren't any that I know of in my area (aside from Sam Ash, Best Buy, etc.)

If your source is a decent cd player or you have a nice aftermarket sound card, then an external DAC isn't truly necessary. However, coming straight from a PC or laptop, the internal DACs are often subpar, and the power supplies are poorly shielded. If your computer is your main source, an external DAC should be a noticeable upgrade.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #9,674 of 46,565
A few dozen really expensive tubes would help too...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #9,675 of 46,565

Users who are viewing this thread

Back