Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #8,162 of 46,507
Quote:
Your face when the 4xx series was Dun Goof'd my nVidia before the 5xx and 6xx.

With that said my bfg gtx 280 puts my asgard to shame, you can literally fry an egg on the 280.

Lol! I had a malfunctioning ps2 back in the day, and i actually roasted hot dogs and sometimes eggs on a plate sitting on top of it. If i left them on too long, they would actually get burn marks. Yep, on a ps2. I never returned it for a new one cause i loved being able to cook and play video games on the same thing 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #8,163 of 46,507
Quote:
Lol! I had a malfunctioning ps2 back in the day, and i actually roasted hot dogs and sometimes eggs on a plate sitting on top of it. If i left them on too long, they would actually get burn marks. Yep, on a ps2. I never returned it for a new one cause i loved being able to cook and play video games on the same thing 
biggrin.gif

You're my hero.

Oct 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #8,164 of 46,507
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Burn yourself on it and sue them! Lol

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #8,165 of 46,507
i'll lose interest in my 650s (and all my cans for that matter) for a month or two because i really like speakers. So i picked up this gigantic kenwood receiver from the late 70's. it sounds awesome with my JBL and Klipsch speakers, so i thought why not try my 650s?
lo and behold it sounds AWESOME.

just down right great.  that said they sound very good out of my marantz and my Woo as well.

one thing they did not sound awesome out of was my phone.  it was so bad after a few too many scotches last winter, i thew away the adapter.  And NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

These really are the headphones for me.  Im not sure of another can that could get me to move on without them.

the tone, sound signature, air, soundstage, comfort and warmth is just exactly what i like.

im still very skeptical about upgrading cables.  i feel like thats 200$ i could dump into a better DAC or something

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8,166 of 46,507
Quote:
i'll lose interest in my 650s (and all my cans for that matter) for a month or two because i really like speakers. So i picked up this gigantic kenwood receiver from the late 70's. it sounds awesome with my JBL and Klipsch speakers, so i thought why not try my 650s?

just down right great.  that said they sound very good out of my marantz and my Woo as well.

one thing they did not sound awesome out of was my phone.  it was so bad after a few too many scotches last winter, i thew away the adapter.  And NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST.

These really are the headphones for me.  Im not sure of another can that could get me to move on without them.

the tone, sound signature, air, soundstage, comfort and warmth is just exactly what i like.

im still very skeptical about upgrading cables.  i feel like thats 200$ i could dump into a better DAC or something

I feel the same about the 650's. With regard to the cables...get the cable and the dac!! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #8,167 of 46,507
Quote:

Nice to hear that you enjoy them. I hate them from all of my portable devices as well. They just sound terrible; the dynamics are a lot worse, those amazing mids are gone, and theres a huge veil. I've never been a big believer in cables myself.  I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, but the difference in cost just is not worth it to me. I would much rather invest the money into a pair of portable headphones, a new dac, or just save the money and help my wallet.. Its taken a beating ever since i joined headfi 
redface.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #8,168 of 46,507
Quote:

That sounds a lot better
wink.gif
  Dynamics, body, and midbass control are the first things to go when underamping HD650.  Sure it sounds passable....but we don't buy former-flagships (or when I bought mine...flagships) for "passable" audio, right?
wink.gif

I just got a pair of these and I am waiting around and doing my research on the right amp to buy, while letting them burn in and listen to them occasionally... and what you describe is exactly what I am getting (or lacking, actually).  Its funny though, I feel like I can *tell* exquisite sound is in them, just waiting to be amplified out.  
cool.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #8,169 of 46,507
nice username

check your local salvation army or goodwill/thrift shop.
if you can get your hands on a cheap used receiver it will do you well for the time being.  and can run you 50$ or less depending on the brand.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8,170 of 46,507
Quote:
Yeah, I've been through great swaths of that thread and it's not exactly...uh, user friendly, or HD650-oriented.  I'm also not looking to spend $100/tube.

I don't have a Lyr, but I have several amps/preamps that are compatible with the 6DJ, 6922, E188CC, 6N1P, etc.  They're not exactly cheap, but you could get the Genelex Gold Lion 6922.  You can get them new for $70-80 per pair.  I think they fair well compared to many of the NOS options I've tried.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #8,171 of 46,507
Quote:
nice username

check your local salvation army or goodwill/thrift shop.
if you can get your hands on a cheap used receiver it will do you well for the time being.  and can run you 50$ or less depending on the brand.

Thanks... and thanks for the suggestion.  Any recommendations of what I should look for, not necessarily a brand or model but as per specs of the receiver?

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #8,172 of 46,507
i dunno really.  take the can's with you to audition the amp.  make sure it works, scratchy knobs is a very fixable issue if you run into that.
watts won't be a concern really.  anything will be able to drive the 650's
ive had the best luck with kenwood, marantz, pioneer, sansui, and yamaha.  and i've heard good stuff about onkyo and harmon kardon.

really its just a stepping stone.  unless you fall in love with it.
i'd just shoot for 70s or early 80s.
and steer clear of black plastic units.  some can be good, but a lot of them are not, especially when compared to the older stuff.  headphones weren't really a big deal in the late 80s and early 90s.

is your name from the band?
curious, if you're in my area i could possibly point you in a direction

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #8,174 of 46,507
Thanks... and thanks for the suggestion.  Any recommendations of what I should look for, not necessarily a brand or model but as per specs of the receiver?

I second what Rawrbington said. 70's is good, silver face is usually a pretty good indicator, the brands mentioned are good.

If your goal is to use it for your 650's or other cans vs driving speakers, I wouldn't worry about output power. I bought a 15wpc late '70's Yamaha for $35 that has plenty of drive for headphones via HP jack. You can't compare the watts/power of a vintage vs a HTIB receiver that claims 100w/ch or whatever, so don't be scared off by what appears to be low watts.

While thrift stores and garage sales can be a source of really good deals, I think it can also be more risky unless you can try it out there to see what works and what doesn't. Most of my vintage gear was purchased via Craigslist - at least you can demo and inspect it before you buy.

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #8,175 of 46,507
I was gonna guess you might be from oklahoma somewhere since otherlives is from Stillwater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back