Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #8,176 of 46,514
Quote:
Interesting.  I tried the HD650 straight out of my iPhone 4 and if it had been a horse--I would have shot it.  Out of the op-amp headphone feed in my Pioneer receiver, it really opened up, but the Lyr--well, the Lyr lights up the HD650 like the 4th of July.  I started with some Amperex orange globe A-frames--and they have a nice warm tubey sound.  I was so happy with that combination and was skeptical of tube rolling--so it took me a while to try anything else.  I recently switched to the stock GE 6BZ7 tubes and was surprised at the brighter sound.  The 6BZ7 tubes give the HD650 a little extra bite, although they don't sound quite as smooth as the Amperex tubes.  You guys with Lyrs should mention the tubes you're using.

Quote:
Yeah, I've been through great swaths of that thread and it's not exactly...uh, user friendly, or HD650-oriented.  I'm also not looking to spend $100/tube.

Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread

There's already a nice 275 page thread on that topic.  Have fun.

The A-frame Amperex OGs were also my favourite tubes for the HD650. All midrange tubey goodness that the HD650 revelled in. I felt like a lone voice in that thread recommending those tubes for the HD650. I had the fabled Lorenz Stuttgarts that I found less engaging with the HD650. They were good for the LCD-2 but even then, not deserving of the hype they generated. If you want a more balanced sound with excellent transparency, try out the Amperex Bugle Boys. These had wonderful synergy with the HD800 and with that headphone I found them similar to the Stuttgart signature but with better clarity. They're abundant so you can get them on the cheap. Beware of counterfeits though.

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #8,177 of 46,514
Quote:

The A-frame Amperex OGs were also my favourite tubes for the HD650. All midrange tubey goodness that the HD650 revelled in. I felt like a lone voice in that thread recommending those tubes for the HD650. I had the fabled Lorenz Stuttgarts that I found less engaging with the HD650. They were good for the LCD-2 but even then, not deserving of the hype they generated. If you want a more balanced sound with excellent transparency, try out the Amperex Bugle Boys. These had wonderful synergy with the HD800 and with that headphone I found them similar to the Stuttgart signature but with better clarity. They're abundant so you can get them on the cheap. Beware of counterfeits though.

Are you referring to tubes for the lyr here? I'm on the hunt for something and just getting started with tube rolling on my lyr. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #8,181 of 46,514
Quote:
I'm using the GE's and I like them a lot. Just got a loaner box of tubes from another headfier. I really like the Lorenz and the Telefunkin's.  
biggrin.gif

LOL, who's the cold-hearted jerk that decided to hook you on Lorenz and Telefunkens? That's pretty low practice....
biggrin.gif
Those Lorenz are up to, what, $200 a tube now? If you can even find them...

Quote:

Yes,

Like a 4 Channel Fully Balanced βeta-22.

Don't worry, I haven't put them on the mono blocks - yet
wink_face.gif

LOL.  I think my original broken Lyr gave me a preview of what blocks would sound like with HD650......I wouldn't advise it
wink_face.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #8,186 of 46,514
Quote:
Hey, I put the stock GE tubes back in today and they have a significant hum. Are they done?

Have you tried wiggling them around a bit? I removed mine and put them back in and had that problem. Try removing/reinserting them if you haven't already. Oh yeah, make sure you didn't accidentally loosen one of the cables going to your amp while taking out the tubes, that happened to me and i was really confused, then i checked the back and the cable was loose. If none of that works, try letting them run for a few hours, and see if the noise is still there.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #8,187 of 46,514
Yeah, I took them out and reseated them. No difference. Put in another pair of bulbs and everything was fine. I was careful with them. Not sure what happened. 
frown.gif

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #8,188 of 46,514
Quote:
Yeah, I took them out and reseated them. No difference. Put in another pair of bulbs and everything was fine. I was careful with them. Not sure what happened. 
frown.gif

Hmm thats not good D: Try cleaning the pins of the tubes. I read on the tube rolling thread somewhere that that worked for someone.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #8,189 of 46,514
Quote:
frown.gif

Quote:
Hmm thats not good D: Try cleaning the metal part of the tubes that go into the amp. I read on the tube rolling thread somewhere that that worked for someone.

I'm going to suggest you get a can of ProGold/DeoxIT.  It's a contact cleaner that can do a wonderful job.  Some people will warn you (rightly) that it can cause a buildup of "gunk" for lack of a better term.  This usually happens because it's been used in excess.  Spraying a tiny amount onto the pins of the tube can sometimes clear up these issues.  This also works for any other connections (RCA/XLR/BNC/IEC/switches/dials etc).  Just make sure that you wipe off any excess spray.  I'll sometimes apply a tiny amount, then use compressed air to spread it around, and finally wipe it off with a lint-free cloth.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back