Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #8,131 of 46,513
Quote:
Geez, you guys are making me want a Lyr so bad!! But I can't afford it :frowning2:

Neither can I and I just did 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyone want an Asgard? Lol.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #8,132 of 46,513
Oct 7, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #8,134 of 46,513
Quote:
I am planning on doing it as in-depth as I can! I should have it later this week. Probably not soon enough to get here before the 30-day trail runs out on my 650's though :frowning2:.

Looking forward to it.  So you won't be keeping the 650s?

I'm looking to get a tube amp in the near future.  Happy with what I have, but I want some tubage in my life.  Torn between the Lafig DV and WA2.  With the possibility of an integrated amp from McIntosh for speaker/headphones.  But Lyr still has an outside shot.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #8,135 of 46,513
Quote:
Looking forward to it.  So you won't be keeping the 650s?

I'm looking to get a tube amp in the near future.  Happy with what I have, but I want some tubage in my life.  Torn between the Lafig DV and WA2.  With the possibility of an integrated amp from McIntosh for speaker/headphones.  But Lyr still has an outside shot.

Tubeage should be experienced by everyone. I had a old tube tv as a little kid that took forever to turn on/off, my first Marshall guitar amp had a SS/tube combo (wow do tubes warm things up), and I was lucky enough to get to hear the K702;s through a WA3 along with my old D-2000's at a head-fi meet (first proper headphone amping I heard). That's when I realized that one of the best things I could have was a proper tube amp (someday, that being now.)

Oct 10, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #8,137 of 46,513
^^
I have several hundred hours on mine and they are still very comfortable.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #8,140 of 46,513
Quote:

With winter coming, I think these tubes can also serve the purpose of heating up our apartment! :)

That's right.  One for each room.  Who's needs the heating company, when there's Schiit Audio home heating services.
tongue.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #8,141 of 46,513
Quote:
Just ordered the Lyr..

Now to compare the Lyr with the Valhalla! :D 

When I compared all three at the Head-Fi SF Bay Area meetup back in February, I tried all three with the HD650 and remember liking the Valhalla the most, then the Lyr and then the Asgard.  That said, I did like all three and it was just a quick comparison.  I'd love to head your thoughts on the Lyr vs. the Valhalla, though... the former is of course more versatile.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #8,143 of 46,513
I'm in love. Just got a pair of second hand 650's (I paid 238,5EUR which I think is OK, not the deal of the year, though).
These sound so good. I'm upgrading from ATH-AD700's which I've had for 3 years now and sounded lovely for the 70EUR that I paid by the way. First got second hand DT880's which seem the supreme analytic 'phones but got very tiring pretty quickly. Kept them as monitor phones. Also tried AKG 702's but they were uncomfortable and pre-burn in sounded horrid. It felt like the natural upgrade since they boast an immersive sound stage à la AD700, but I just didn't like them. I should listen to a pair that's properly burn-in some time.

These Senn's are just a tad less comfortable than the AD700's but I'm sure they'll be BETTER once I get used to them, since these are small enough to use in bed and to sleep with.
Yes, to sleep with. These are absolutely fatigue-less to my ears, while sounding overwhelmingly good.

One weird thing, I have a dedicated amp (burson HA-160) but feel it is a bit of a waste. I think the sound out of my ipod sounds fine. SUCH HERESY!! No, really, it's a nice laid-back and relaxing sound to my ears, no veil with the 650. If anything, the worthless ipod DAC makes the sound even more laid-back. Well, I'll be using the Burson while on my desktop PC for some extra kick & while playing the piano for extra drive.

(Coincidentally both the AD700 and the Senn 650 are both very high in the Headphones Top List, so the list sure is accurate to me).

Unless Sennheiser reveals a new totally laid-back and not too bright sounding upgrade over the HD650, I doubt I'm buying new headphones any time soon. If ever. These really diserve the #3 place in the headphones listing on head-fi. Superb.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #8,144 of 46,513
Quote:
What's the average usage on a pair of hd650 pads?

I wore mine out over a good 5 years before replacing them...somewhere between 1k and 2k hours.  In retrospect I should have replaced them sooner....the replacements really opened the soundstage and airiness...visually I only then realized how flattened the old ones were. 

So...how the new HD650 + Schiit stack life treating you?
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Don't sell the Asgard short; it may be the best space heater of them all!

When the electric bill just doesn't matter: Schiit!

Quote:
One weird thing, I have a dedicated amp (burson HA-160) but feel it is a bit of a waste. I think the sound out of my ipod sounds fine. SUCH HERESY!! No, really, it's a nice laid-back and relaxing sound to my ears, no veil with the 650. If anything, the worthless ipod DAC makes the sound even more laid-back. Well, I'll be using the Burson while on my desktop PC for some extra kick & while playing the piano for extra drive.

Uhh....iPod sound on par with the HA-160?  HD650 sounds horrid straight out of an iPod.  I mean, it's listenable, sure, but the output impedance and low voltage thoroughly kill the dynamics and detail.  a Fiio E11 on an iPod LOD....sure that'll sound decent.  But iPod as the amp....I think you may need to send that Burson in for service or something
blink.gif

How do you have the Burson set up...what source are you feeding it?  And what kind of music format? I think we may be looking at a source/DAC issue holding it back...you can get a lot more out of an HD650 than what an iPod sounds like with it
wink_face.gif
   Heck even an iPod + LOD into the Burson should sound light-years better than plugging right into the iPod.  If you question your source, just get a Fiio LOD cable and try it out....it'll short you $10 or so and you'll get a good frame of reference.   Hint: iPod + LOD into Lyr sounds heaps better than straight iPod, and that HA160 should be in Lyr class (minus tube warmth.)

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #8,145 of 46,513
Quote:
How do you have the Burson set up...what source are you feeding it?  And what kind of music format? I think we may be looking at a source/DAC issue holding it back...you can get a lot more out of an HD650 than what an iPod sounds like with it
wink_face.gif
   Heck even an iPod + LOD into the Burson should sound light-years better than plugging right into the iPod.  If you question your source, just get a Fiio LOD cable and try it out....it'll short you $10 or so and you'll get a good frame of reference.   Hint: iPod + LOD into Lyr sounds heaps better than straight iPod, and that HA160 should be in Lyr class (minus tube warmth.)

The iPod is filled with lossless music exlusively, the Burson is fed by a V-DAC at 96/24 with lossless source music.
Sure, the Burson is more dynamic and has more "body", but the ipod music sounds passable. I must have low standards.
Right now I'm listening at another computer set-up with X-Fi Go! and a Logitech amplifier which a pretty darn mediocre set-up. It's more dynamic than the iPod, but it lacks warmth and sounds a bit tinny compared to the Burson. Still, it sounds far from bad.

I have been wearing these 650's for 3 hours without end now. Lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back