Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #5,446 of 46,533
Going to be soldering a custom cable for the HD650. I can't believe how cheap it is to find good cable parts. Copper, Sennhesier plugs, wrapping, and a Neutrik plug all come under $70...

Oooh. I'd love to see pics of that when you're done.
But I actually find $70 quite expensive. What kind of wire do you use? Because I'd expect it do be possible to build a custom cable for $30-40.

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #5,448 of 46,533

Quote:
I am so close to pulling the trigger on a refurbished pair of these things! I have some questions, though.

Do refurbs generally come with the box as a new pair would?

Would the creative X-Fi HD USB DAC (http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-HD-Sound/M/B004275EO4.htm) be ok to power these things starting out? If not, what will it sound like underpowered? I plan on getting a Schiit Asgard amp later on to couple with the DAC and the HD650.

The DAC section is probably Decent, I'm not sure the amp section will be good enough.  You're probably better off using your PC's headphone jack until you saved enough for the asgard and a DAC.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #5,450 of 46,533
I love my HD650 so much it does nothing wrong and I have really no compliats.  But the kind of guy I am that can't leave well enough alone and keep thinking there must be something even better this so I've ordered LCD2 Rev2.  Hopefully it really is an upgrade and not a sideways move.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #5,451 of 46,533

Quote:
I love my HD650 so much it does nothing wrong and I have really no compliats.  But the kind of guy I am that can't leave well enough alone and keep thinking there must be something even better this so I've ordered LCD2 Rev2.  Hopefully it really is an upgrade and not a sideways move.

Don't worry, it'll be an upgrade.  What system will you plugging the LCD-2 into?

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #5,452 of 46,533

Quote:

YOULL LOVE THEM...probably wont listen to your HDs anymore!

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5,453 of 46,533

Quote:
Don't worry, it'll be an upgrade.  What system will you plugging the LCD-2 into?

right now I have a mhdt havana and amps are bottlehead crack speedball otl and also got a schiit asgard.
hd650 does well with either or those, with LCD-2 bottlehead is out but I'll have to see if the lcd-2 does ok with the asgard or I'll have to look into getting something with more output.

Jan 4, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #5,454 of 46,533

Quote:
right now I have a mhdt havana and amps are bottlehead crack speedball otl and also got a schiit asgard.
hd650 does well with either or those, with LCD-2 bottlehead is out but I'll have to see if the lcd-2 does ok with the asgard or I'll have to look into getting something with more output.

Nice setup!  I think your LCD-2 will sound niiiicce.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #5,457 of 46,533

Quote:
Oooh. I'd love to see pics of that when you're done.
But I actually find $70 quite expensive. What kind of wire do you use? Because I'd expect it do be possible to build a custom cable for $30-40.

Yeah, I'm still looking around. I was looking at litz wire, which is expensive, still haven't decided....

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #5,460 of 46,533
Silver + HD 650's = bliss.

I actually prefer copper for HD 600's, but everything is an upgrade for either of them.
regular_smile%20.gif
600's are good on Silver, and even though it's hyper resolving, it becomes a little bright. Copper is perfect for HD 600. (We're talking about upgrade cables, stock has nothing to do with these comparisons).

Now what I found shocking (yet still forseeable) was when Silvered HD 650 turn out to sound very similar to Copper HD 600, in terms of frequency response. Still not quite the same, but even closer. I would say the difference on both combos is there, but it's almost negligeable.

Both Silvered HD 650's and 'Coppered HD 600's sound very good. It's very hard to pick a clear victor between them. I like them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back