Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #5,476 of 46,554
Ernest P. Whorrl! :wink:

Quote:
You should try out silver plated copper for he HD-650. I bet it would be a perfect match.
With a little work you can find some Belden 1804A that's in a Starquad configuration and is silver plated copper. It's fairly cheap too and it already has a covering, so no sleeving is required, just some heat shrink on the Y-split.

I think for the HD-650 it's best to find a very neutral cable that doesn't add any extra warmth. Mogami and Canare does. Don't know why or how.

What's funny is that silver plated copper from ALO is actually less bright and more neutral than all the copper wires I've tried, including stock. Only used it with my Q701 though.

Another wire that would be perfect for the HD-650 is Belden 1192A. It's  not even remotely warm and kind of bright. No rolled off treble like with the Canare.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5,477 of 46,554

Quote:
Sounds like a good setup. A better DAC can come later since you already have a decent one in the Xonar.
Unless you don't have the Xonar yet. In that case get a good DAC/amp combo such as the Audio-GD NFB-12 or the FiiO E7/E9 combo. If you absolutely need a soundcard, get a cheap one with optical/coax output. The software is the same in any case.
Be wary though, if you want great sound quality then go for solid state instead of tubes. Tubes can be fun sounding, but you will have to spend more to get the same sound quality.
Just to be sure, in this case I mean 'sound quality' in a more objective way. e.g. low distortion, etc.

I really doubt there is any DAC upgrade worth considering if he has the xonar st. To get a notably better sounding DAC than what's in the st is probably gonna cost way more than the hd650s themselves..

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #5,478 of 46,554
Someone asked about dakmart or dahmart as they are known on amazon.

I got in a set of hd650s today from dahmart off amazon. They were listed as used "like new"

They are absolutely new looking in the box with all the foam, adapter, manual, etc..

Shipped in a day and they sent me a tracking number

This deal is an absolute go imo. 

Oh yeah - they sound awesome...

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #5,479 of 46,554

Quote:
Why the price jumped to around $500 from about $350 in a few popular online stores? Fortunately I bought it last month at $320.

yeah i was thinking about buying them for a few months but then they changed the prices on the same day i was gonna buy them...

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #5,481 of 46,554
Quote:
yeah i was thinking about buying them for a few months but then they changed the prices on the same day i was gonna buy them...

same. i think the hd600's went up in price as well. 

With the new HD700 model around the corner, I'm sure the HD6XX will rise a little in popularity, which usually means price decrease on the older models. Looks like it's vice versa this time.

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #5,482 of 46,554
Why do people keep saying the HD700 is coming when all there was is just a random computer-rendered conceptualization of an HD700? Even if it was from Sennheiser, how does that mean the HD700 is coming soon? I see similar reports from years ago, what makes anyone think it's going to be soon?

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #5,484 of 46,554
Why do people keep saying the HD700 is coming when all there was is just a random computer-rendered conceptualization of an HD700? Even if it was from Sennheiser, how does that mean the HD700 is coming soon? I see similar reports from years ago, what makes anyone think it's going to be soon?

Exactly. If they were to display it at CES, then you could assume that it's coming soon, but that isn't even the case.

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,486 of 46,554
Well it's mid-2012, which is still quite a few months away, so it really isn't just around the corner.
wink_face.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #5,487 of 46,554
Too bad. Assuming the SRH1840 comes out this month, it would have been nice to have a comparison with the HD700 since they seem to be directly competing.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #5,488 of 46,554
Ack, this is just mean. I make a post stating that the HD700 will probably not be shown at CES anyway, and five minutes later I see that they WILL be unveiled at CES on the front page.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #5,490 of 46,554
What's CES?

It's the international Consumer Electronics Show, held in Vegas every year. It's probably the largest electronics show in the entire world, and each year heaps of new technology gets released at this show.
The amount of hifi is actually surprisingly big, as I read on a blog that there are a total of three floors dedicated to hifi.

This year Sennheiser is unveiling their HD700 at CES. Read the article posted on the front page by Jude for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back