Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,461 of 46,533
You should try out silver plated copper for he HD-650. I bet it would be a perfect match.
With a little work you can find some Belden 1804A that's in a Starquad configuration and is silver plated copper. It's fairly cheap too and it already has a covering, so no sleeving is required, just some heat shrink on the Y-split.

I think for the HD-650 it's best to find a very neutral cable that doesn't add any extra warmth. Mogami and Canare does. Don't know why or how.

What's funny is that silver plated copper from ALO is actually less bright and more neutral than all the copper wires I've tried, including stock. Only used it with my Q701 though.

Another wire that would be perfect for the HD-650 is Belden 1192A. It's  not even remotely warm and kind of bright. No rolled off treble like with the Canare.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #5,462 of 46,533

Quote:
Silver + HD 650's = bliss.

I actually prefer copper for HD 600's, but everything is an upgrade for either of them.
regular_smile%20.gif
600's are good on Silver, and even though it's hyper resolving, it becomes a little bright. Copper is perfect for HD 600. (We're talking about upgrade cables, stock has nothing to do with these comparisons).

Now what I found shocking (yet still forseeable) was when Silvered HD 650 turn out to sound very similar to Copper HD 600, in terms of frequency response. Still not quite the same, but even closer. I would say the difference on both combos is there, but it's almost negligeable.

Both Silvered HD 650's and 'Coppered HD 600's sound very good. It's very hard to pick a clear victor between them. I like them both.

Quote:
You should try out silver plated copper for he HD-650. I bet it would be a perfect match.
With a little work you can find some Belden 1804A that's in a Starquad configuration and is silver plated copper. It's fairly cheap too and it already has a covering, so no sleeving is required, just some heat shrink on the Y-split.

I think for the HD-650 it's best to find a very neutral cable that doesn't add any extra warmth. Mogami and Canare does. Don't know why or how.

What's funny is that silver plated copper from ALO is actually less bright and more neutral than all the copper wires I've tried, including stock. Only used it with my Q701 though.

Another wire that would be perfect for the HD-650 is Belden 1192A. It's  not even remotely warm and kind of bright. No rolled off treble like with the Canare.

Looks like I'll stick with silver cabling. Not sure yet about what kind of fabrics or TechFlex I'll put over the wires...

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #5,463 of 46,533
I don't like how every time I have to pull off the foam earpads to clean out the foam, when I put the foam back I feel like I am each time flattening the earpads more and more. It's very hard to get the earpads back in without a lot of careful pressing to make it "click" in, and sometimes clicking one in pops another out etc. It also seems like the plastic grooves that fit in the slots have to pierce through the foam layer, which results in bigger and bigger holes being eaten through the foam layer over the acoustic silk as each time you push the earpads back on, the foam is slightly differently oriented, even if by a fraction of a millimeter.

Jan 8, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #5,464 of 46,533

Quote:
I don't like how every time I have to pull off the foam earpads to clean out the foam, when I put the foam back I feel like I am each time flattening the earpads more and more. It's very hard to get the earpads back in without a lot of careful pressing to make it "click" in, and sometimes clicking one in pops another out etc. It also seems like the plastic grooves that fit in the slots have to pierce through the foam layer, which results in bigger and bigger holes being eaten through the foam layer over the acoustic silk as each time you push the earpads back on, the foam is slightly differently oriented, even if by a fraction of a millimeter.

Agree. I hated this. Totally agree. If I had two qualms about the HD 600 and 650 it would be this: The effing cans aren't detailed enough, although their sheer tone is good. The effing pads wear out fast and are a royal PITA to take care of.

The stupid sound of the can is morphed and the soundstaged muffled/distored if those pads aren't like new. These are the things that suck about HD 650.

Jan 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #5,465 of 46,533
I probably have the solution. I keep my HD650 stretched by the DIY distance piece.This reduces headband pressure, making HD650 more comfortable and improving the sound. RE: cable - this is DIY 8-wires cable, 4 OFC and 4 SPC.

Jan 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5,466 of 46,533

One way you may prevent pressing on the pads themselves when you're installing them back is to slide your finger(s) into the section underneath the pads, where you can touch the plastic layer, and press that portion to make the plastic grooves snap back to its slot. Will try to provide a picture when I am free.

About the foam layer... Not much to comment, but yes that happens. I guess it's a good time to change the foam + earpads soon? I personally don't remove my earpads for cleaning that at all often, but I do allow them to rest a day or two after a few hours of use.

Jan 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #5,467 of 46,533

Quote:

Agree. I hated this. Totally agree. If I had two qualms about the HD 600 and 650 it would be this: The effing cans aren't detailed enough, although their sheer tone is good. The effing pads wear out fast and are a royal PITA to take care of.

The stupid sound of the can is morphed and the soundstaged muffled/distored if those pads aren't like new. These are the things that suck about HD 650.

Nope...the lack of detail and muffled sound is due to inadequate amplification and or poor source...nothing to do with pads (though you can replace them if they are worn)

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #5,468 of 46,533
I just love when I have spare time to lay back and enjoy music on these headphones. Powering them trough Xonar Essence STX and to me they sound really good. Do you guys think I would notice an upgrade with better cable? I'm not really experienced in making one myself, could pay somebody to do it for me I guess.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #5,470 of 46,533

Quote:
Nope...the lack of detail and muffled sound is due to inadequate amplification and or poor source...nothing to do with pads (though you can replace them if they are worn)

You have not noticed this over time.

As chamber space decreases (from original design intent), so does your soundstage.That's simple conceptual physics right there...

Pull the pads slightly above your ears, the soundstage increases. The change is very apparent. The further your ears are away from the driver/if the better pads are in good condition, you will have an intended sounstage/imaging at this point.. As the pads wear out, your ear becomes closer to the driver wavespreader itself, the soundstage in turn dissipates and becomes more (extremely narrow) and muffled in comparison.

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #5,471 of 46,533
Quote:

You have not noticed this over time.

As chamber space decreases (from original design intent), so does your soundstage.That's simple conceptual physics right there...

Pull the pads slightly above your ears, the soundstage increases. The change is very apparent. The further your ears are away from the driver/if the better pads are in good condition, you will have an intended sounstage/imaging at this point.. As the pads wear out, your ear becomes closer to the driver wavespreader itself, the soundstage in turn dissipates and becomes more (extremely narrow) and muffled in comparison.

Agreed. I tried this with the Q701. Push the pads into the ear, and soundstage becomes a lot more congested and not as big. As far as amplification and proper sourcing is concerned, the HD650 can have a very good amount of detail as well as a large soundstage on the right setup, and that's from my personal auditioning with the WA2 and the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #5,472 of 46,533

Quote:
I don't have any experience with aftermarket cables, but I think you'd be better of with buying a better amp than cables.

X2  Cables really should be last the thing upgraded after amp & DAC upgrades.

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #5,474 of 46,533
Is Asus Xonar Essence ST + Little Dot MK III + HD650 a solid combination? 
Can anyone please advise what should be added to the above for a better sound? Maybe a DAC?

Sounds like a good setup. A better DAC can come later since you already have a decent one in the Xonar.
Unless you don't have the Xonar yet. In that case get a good DAC/amp combo such as the Audio-GD NFB-12 or the FiiO E7/E9 combo. If you absolutely need a soundcard, get a cheap one with optical/coax output. The software is the same in any case.

Be wary though, if you want great sound quality then go for solid state instead of tubes. Tubes can be fun sounding, but you will have to spend more to get the same sound quality.
Just to be sure, in this case I mean 'sound quality' in a more objective way. e.g. low distortion, etc.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #5,475 of 46,533
Why the price jumped to around $500 from about $350 in a few popular online stores? Fortunately I bought it last month at $320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back