Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #5,416 of 46,514
still waiting for my bottlehead crack to amp up with the 650.

very very disappointed on the hd650 right now, with my auinst rig. I am upgrading from SRH840, and i still feel that teh SRH840 slightly outperform HD650. although it is still less than 50hrs burn in.

hope the sound will improve when it is fully burnt in and the new amp arrive!!
will the dac also improve the sound detail when i listen??

Dec 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #5,417 of 46,514
I've found that burn-in doesn't do much with the 650s--or, if it does, it occurs within a day. However, the 650 does scale up powerfully, so the better the amp and the more impressive the DAC, the happier you'll be with it.

Quote:

very very disappointed on the hd650 right now, with my auinst rig. I am upgrading from SRH840, and i still feel that teh SRH840 slightly outperform HD650. although it is still less than 50hrs burn in.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #5,419 of 46,514

Quote:

The Audinst isn't exactly the best amp for the HD650. You need a bright and potent amp for the HD650 to really shine.

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #5,421 of 46,514

Quote:
Yes, the HD650 sound horrible (bass heavy/muddy) without the proper amp

Ah. Not totally/ While it doesn't sound perfect on the Audinst, it should sound alright if you have the silver driver HD650's. I'm interested to know if he has the older version or the updated version of the H650.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #5,422 of 46,514
...meaning, relatively speaking...auditioned the HD650 on an amp that was powering my RS1i to perfection and the HD650 sounded horrible...have to have the precise combo with these phones, many dont understand that and think it is the headphones...or may say its the amp, when the amp would be perfect with other phones just not the 650s

TRIAL and Error

TRY TRY again

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #5,423 of 46,514

Quote:
...meaning, relatively speaking...auditioned the HD650 on an amp that was powering my RS1i to perfection and the HD650 sounded horrible...have to have the precise combo with these phones, many dont understand that and think it is the headphones...or may say its the amp, when the amp would be perfect with other phones just not the 650s

TRIAL and Error

TRY TRY again

Maybe you just like bright headphones. Remember, the RS1i's are a lot different than the HD650s, and you may just like forward, hyper detailed sound of the RS1i's. The HD650's may just not be to your tastes.

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #5,424 of 46,514

Quote:

Maybe you just like bright headphones. Remember, the RS1i's are a lot different than the HD650s, and you may just like forward, hyper detailed sound of the RS1i's. The HD650's may just not be to your tastes.

Umm, NO, I LOVE the 650s...they personally only sound good when balanced and powered by my PB1 or PB2...other amps do not drive them appropriately, they are great phones but fickle..some other phones like grado, ultrasone are very easy to drive

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5,425 of 46,514
Wait, what? sorry, can't really read that, your sentence is a little jumbled. You think that the Q701 should be MJ's headphone? No, don't agree with that. Sure, they're fast, but the midrange isn't all that amazing, clear, but not the best. And yes, in some ways, it's better than the HD650. Speedier, more resolved, More layered soundstage, and top end extensions doesn't have the signature veil like the HD650.

No, you got it all wrong. It should be MJs headphone because Quincy Jones helped to tune it. This is the guy who produced off the wall, thriller, and bad and I just expected this headphone to be the best match MJ could of ever had with any can. Who knows, I could personally still think that after I listen to it but still...thia is upsetting news.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #5,426 of 46,514

Quote:
No, you got it all wrong. It should be MJs headphone because Quincy Jones helped to tune it. This is the guy who produced off the wall, thriller, and bad and I just expected this headphone to be the best match MJ could of ever had with any can. Who knows, I could personally still think that after I listen to it but still...thia is upsetting news.

i'm not a big MJ fan anyway (as a matter of fact, I really don't like his style of music). Find somebody who likes MJ, and ask them how it sounds through the Q701's.

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #5,429 of 46,514
about the clip - well i sometimes do something similar with my old ipod shuffle and my beyers - as said above my hd650s have just arrived so theyre still in permanantly fixed to my pc for burn in.

will it harm the phones - unlikely , however you can do it with some precautions
due to the cable being relatively long if you curl them and fix with a small strap of velcro or similar it allows you to have the tiny wieght of the clip on the wire but not directly on the straight pull from the connectors.

so yes fine to do but probably safer not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back