Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #5,401 of 46,514

Quote:
I don't know If I can participate in this thread anymore, I'm really digging the sound of my Q701's. 
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Ha ha, you must be enjoying that deep articulate bass and clear, detailed highs.
biggrin.gif
  Are you pairing it with the Valhalla?

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #5,402 of 46,514
Yeah I think you oughta let 'em burn in. When I first used them just out of a FiiO E7 everything was coming from miles away from my left and right sides, they were absolutely unbearable to listen to until I just used them for a few hours on and off while I did other stuff and they slowly fixed themselves, like in comparison though, they still suck out of a $100 portable amp but there was noticeable improvement.

Quote:
i got my hd650 today!!

tbh, i am a bit disappointed, think it performed worse than my SRH840.

my setup is an audinst rig, ordered a bottlehead crack but haven't arrived yet.

the high is harsh, slightly ear piercing. (not sure if it is the right word)
and the instrument seperation is just disappointing. :frowning2:

should i left it for burning in for a while before ihear it again??

btw, how should i burn in? just plaing the msuic and leave the headphone alone??

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #5,403 of 46,514

Quote:
Ha ha, you must be enjoyinf that deep articulate bass and clear, detailed highs.
biggrin.gif
  Are you pairing it with the Valhalla?

Yes. I'm pairing them both with the Valhalla. And I don't get why people say that the Q701 has shy bass, it's anything bass. Decent amount of midbass hump, a lot of rumble, and pretty good extension down low!

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #5,405 of 46,514

Quote:
How is th Q sound with MJ austin?

It's pretty good. Not the best match though. A lot better speed than the HD650, but I find the midrange to be rather thin compared to the rest of the spectrum, surprisingly.

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #5,406 of 46,514

Quote:
It's pretty good. Not the best match though. A lot better speed than the HD650, but I find the midrange to be rather thin compared to the rest of the spectrum, surprisingly.

That's the one area the Q701/K701 tend to struggle a bit.  The thicker mid-range(from what I've read) of the Lyr would pair well with the AKGs.  Something to consider perhaps?

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5,407 of 46,514
Austin, spend more time with them, with a wide variety of music too, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the bass on the X70Xs in the beginning either.  And x2 on what digital pride said, tubes and power fix the midrange.  They are picky and almost as hard to drive as orthos.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #5,409 of 46,514
Well I sold my Darkvoice 337 amp and got a great trade and traded my iBasso D4 Mamba for an Audio-gd Compass and I enjoy it so much more than the DV 337. It's a big clarity upgrade and the soundstage is so much better because it was literally impossible to make it right on the DV 337 because the volume controls were separate for each ear/channel and you wouldn't get it right without knowing what it's supposed to be anyway. So big clarity and soundstage upgrade, and this amp (it has a DAC too but my PS Audio DLIII is probably better so I use it, the DAC inside is great too and still sounds great with the amp section and the 650s) adds that bit of extra highs that the 650s need for me. Maybe I'll get used to it because of the major SS change and want even more later but for now I love my setup! Now I have to resist the HE-400 pre order :wink:

Well I guess synergy is everything with the 650s then!

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #5,410 of 46,514

Quote:
That's the one area the Q701/K701 tend to struggle a bit.  The thicker mid-range(from what I've read) of the Lyr would pair well with the AKGs.  Something to consider perhaps?

Well. I'm using the Valhalla, which makes the midrange a tad more lush, but I'm holding out for the HA-160DS. If that doesn't work, then we will see how well the HRT Music Streamer II+ pairs with the Valhalla.

Dec 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5,411 of 46,514

Quote:
Austin, spend more time with them, with a wide variety of music too, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the bass on the X70Xs in the beginning either.  And x2 on what digital pride said, tubes and power fix the midrange.  They are picky and almost as hard to drive as orthos.

Will do, sphinxvc. About the driving part, I fully agree with that part. While I'm currently waiting form the Burson Audio HA-160DS to arrive (I know that'll have no problem driving the Q701) even my Valhalla, which can crank the HD650's really, really high, isn't at all very loud with the Q701. I'm literally almost 4 o'clock on the dial of my Valhalla when amping the Q701. And the knob starts at about 7 o' clock.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #5,412 of 46,514
At this point, I would just like to say that the Phonitor drives both my 650 and my 701 extremely well. :-D

So if the SPL is ever an option, give it a try!

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #5,413 of 46,514

Quote:
At this point, I would just like to say that the Phonitor drives both my 650 and my 701 extremely well. :-D

So if the SPL is ever an option, give it a try!

I've heard great things about the Phonitor, and I'm sure it has lots of power. I'm hoping that I'll see one at the next Head-fi meet.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #5,414 of 46,514

Quote:

Wow, basically should be MJ's signature headphone with quincy jones on it....and it's not better than the HD650
angry_face.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5,415 of 46,514

Quote:
Wow, basically should be MJ's signature headphone with quincy jones on it....and it's not better than the HD650
angry_face.gif

Wait, what? sorry, can't really read that, your sentence is a little jumbled. You think that the Q701 should be MJ's headphone? No, don't agree with that. Sure, they're fast, but the midrange isn't all that amazing, clear, but not the best. And yes, in some ways, it's better than the HD650. Speedier, more resolved, More layered soundstage, and top end extensions doesn't have the signature veil like the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back