Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #45,812 of 46,564
I found they can be a bit sharp in the highs with the wrong equipment
what equipment are you using? the highs are really chill. Its the most non fatiguing headphone in my collection. I even paired it with a amp that people say “adds a bit of sparkle to the top end” and its still easy to listen to. The 6XX does better with tube amps btw.

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #45,813 of 46,564
what equipment are you using? the highs are really chill. Its the most non fatiguing headphone in my collection. I even paired it with a amp that people say “adds a bit of sparkle to the top end” and its still easy to listen to. The 6XX does better with tube amps btw.
Differences in hearing account for a lot. Different head shapes, different ear canal shapes, different references for what's bright, dark, etc. I had a friend try my 6XX's and thought they were bright. Brighter than his HD600 anyway.

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #45,814 of 46,564
Through the years, I have found that the Senn HD6 series (all of them) ”Row A” midrange presentation gives some listeners the impression that the highs are “bright”. For me, there can be a slight upper midrange glare or excessive bloom that could easily be interpreted as bright highs. It can bother me, only with with some component/cable combinations. Doesn’t bother me enough to get rid of any of these, however.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #45,815 of 46,564
Through the years, I have found that the Senn HD6 series (all of them) ”Row A” midrange presentation gives some listeners the impression that the highs are “bright”. For me, there can be a slight upper midrange glare or excessive bloom that could easily be interpreted as bright highs. It can bother me with some component/cable combinations. Doesn’t bother me enough to get rid of any of these, however.
I personally find the HD 600 and HD 650 have a bit of a upper midrange glare, not major but enough to bother me on certain systems. But for whatever reason it bothered me more on the HD 650 than the HD 600. Actually don't find the HD 660S to have it but it does tone down the upper mids slightly from the HD 600/650. I haven't heard the HD 660S2 yet but gather it's like the HD 660S in this aspect.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #45,816 of 46,564
Well, let me rephrase, as the term "bright" can mean different things to different people. Glare could also be a good word. But let me be specific.

I found, stock, that the HD6XX was biased towards the "high-mids" (~3k to 5k). Mitch's EQ really tames these frequencies and provides a flat response from 40hz through 6khz. With the EQ, I find the presentation far more balanced and cohesive. For the price of the HD6XX and the EQ filter, I think you get one hell of a headphone.

To be clear, the point of the original post was to (i) tell people how much I enjoyed Mitch's filter and (ii) see if others found some enjoyment with Mitch's filter or other EQs as I am new to this headphone. Don't mean to be overly harsh of the stock HD6XX either - everyone has different preferences!

Apr 20, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #45,817 of 46,564
I personally find the HD 600 and HD 650 have a bit of a upper midrange glare, not major but enough to bother me on certain systems. But for whatever reason it bothered me more on the HD 650 than the HD 600. Actually don't find the HD 660S to have it but it does tone down the upper mids slightly from the HD 600/650. I haven't heard the HD 660S2 yet but gather it's like the HD 660S in this aspect.
I can’t speak to either 660, but the 600, 650, and 650 CC Mod will always be in the stable. Also the 58X, though for me it’s not a “reach for” can very often. The series may be the most fun headphone family ever.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #45,818 of 46,564
Thinking laterally - what do you think in comparison to the Neumann NDH30?
Is this also a descendant of Sennheiser?

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #45,819 of 46,564
Just picked up my 4th HD650 over the last 15 years. I’ve bought and sold these cans time and time again but I keep coming back to them for their physical lightness and that signature Sennheiser sound. I can’t be the only one. This time I’m gonna keep this set. Just thought I’d share. Burning those drivers in now….

May 3, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #45,820 of 46,564
Just got the drop 2.5mm balanced cable for my HD 6XX on eBay for $15!

Wow, this cable is niiice. It almost feels like the stock cable, but there are no kinks and it behaves quite well.

I think I got a pretty good deal on this. It was opened, but it’s pretty much brand new. Even came with the original packaging.

I just wish drop would make a version of this cable that’s 4.4mm. Same length, just 4.4 instead of 2.5

May 3, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #45,821 of 46,564

Wow, this cable is niiice. It almost feels like the stock cable, but there are no kinks and it behaves quite well.

I think I got a pretty good deal on this. It was opened, but it’s pretty much brand new. Even came with the original packaging.

I just wish drop would make a version of this cable that’s 4.4mm. Same length, just 4.4 instead of 2.5
Yeah eBay can have some great deals! I think the cable the 660S2 comes with is a shorter 4.4 cable, in addition to a 1/4” one. Won’t be as cheap though 😅

May 3, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #45,822 of 46,564

What are your impressions of the 6xx balanced vs. SE? I have a Topping A90 and am considering purchasing a balanced cable.

May 3, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #45,824 of 46,564

If you are not opposed to using a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, that might be an option instead of getting a brand new 4.4mm cable?

What are your impressions of the 6xx balanced vs. SE? I have a Topping A90 and am considering purchasing a balanced cable.

Personally, it depends how well implemented the SE source is. It is not uncommon that sources with both a balanced and SE output, the SE port tends to be gimped in design so as to "upsell" the balanced port, or the SE is sort of added as an afterthought. So on A/B testing, sometimes the balanced component sounds superior.

But if a SE source is well implemented, I think it can be competitive sounding. The HD650 sounds excellent with my Schiit Asgard 3 (which is purely SE). Having said that, balanced may give more power in theory, and it may reduce crosstalk etc but whether that is audible is another story.

For the 6XX/650, the 300 ohm impedance is not the easiest to drive, and perhaps the increased power from a balanced source may provide better dynamics, bass tightness etc. (it is not a matter of absolute volume). YMMV.

May 4, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #45,825 of 46,564
If you are not opposed to using a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, that might be an option instead of getting a brand new 4.4mm cable?

Personally, it depends how well implemented the SE source is. It is not uncommon that sources with both a balanced and SE output, the SE port tends to be gimped in design so as to "upsell" the balanced port, or the SE is sort of added as an afterthought. So on A/B testing, sometimes the balanced component sounds superior.

But if a SE source is well implemented, I think it can be competitive sounding. The HD650 sounds excellent with my Schiit Asgard 3 (which is purely SE). Having said that, balanced may give more power in theory, and it may reduce crosstalk etc but whether that is audible is another story.

For the 6XX/650, the 300 ohm impedance is not the easiest to drive, and perhaps the increased power from a balanced source may provide better dynamics, bass tightness etc. (it is not a matter of absolute volume). YMMV.
Nailed it with this reply. You have to take each product on it's own merit. Chord don't use balanced, yet they deliver exceptional sounding products, better than most balanced I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back