Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #45,781 of 46,554
who listens to the HD650 headphones with which amplifier? what do you think about OTL amplifiers sounding best? and how can this be explained? everywhere it says that OTL+ high Impedance dynamic is the best pairing. What can an OTL amplifier do that a semiconductor cannot do with HD650 headphones?read in several places that the HD650 headphones are still better than the new 660 S2, although this is hard to believe, but there is quite a big price difference between the two.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #45,782 of 46,554
who listens to the HD650 headphones with which amplifier? what do you think about OTL amplifiers sounding best? and how can this be explained? everywhere it says that OTL+ high Impedance dynamic is the best pairing. What can an OTL amplifier do that a semiconductor cannot do with HD650 headphones?read in several places that the HD650 headphones are still better than the new 660 S2, although this is hard to believe, but there is quite a big price difference between the two.
As far as I can tell (which is just a hobbyist’s superficial knowledge), there are 2 things that go into this. One is impedance matching and the other is just the natural-sounding, expansive nature of tubes.

When you pair a high impedance headphone (like 300 ohms) with a high output impedance amp (like 120 ohms) you get a relatively low damping factor (in this case 2.5). Compared with most solid state amps, whose goal is to have as low an output impedance as possible, you’ll end up with a much higher damping factor, and thus duller, less energetic sound. It might be simplistic, but to me the sound from high impedance amps (solid state or tube) literally sounds less “damped” and more alive.

And then the tubes themselves just add a kind of expansiveness and naturalness that solid state gear can’t really replicate. Since the 650’s soundstage is fairly narrow and intimate, the pairing with tubes really helps the soundstage blossom. It can even ameliorate that 3-blob effect the 6XX series Sennheisers can have. Then it’s quite synergistic to pair a very natural sounding headphone like the 650 with the sound of tubes, which enhance what it can do with timbre and smoothness.

I listen with the ZMF Pendant SE, which isn’t an OTL amp, but still has the option of a high output impedance jack. But even a DarkVoice will give the 650 a little “extra something.” Hope this helps!

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #45,783 of 46,554
Personal preference for sound counts much in here, preferred HD650 more from hybrid tube amplifier than OTL as OTL often adds fair amounth of warmth to sound and HD650 is already warm sounding headphone which resulted boomier and bit too boosted bass for my liking, OTL was my choice with HD600 or HD800 which are bass lighter and brighter.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #45,784 of 46,554
The Vahalla 2 is a great amp. With the stock tubes my Asgard 3 was actually warmer sounding. The JJ6922 tubes are a good choice for input tubes but still the warmth factor people expect isn't there. The Amperex orange globes did the trick. A little warmth but still the punch. I love the way this thing blows my 600 ohm headphones out of the park. My HD600's sound fantastic to.

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:17 AM Post #45,788 of 46,554
Is 6xx exactly the same as 650?

6xx has cheaper plastic (less durable, I could not believe it when I heard a friend's had some issues after only two years and a 650 can last 20+ years) and perhaps less attention paid to matching drivers. iMHO

<runs and ducks>

Would Sennheiser ever disclose the minute differences justifying the big price difference?

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #45,789 of 46,554
Is 6xx exactly the same as 650?
I hope it is the same sound quality wise because otherwise I need to buy the 650 at some point.

The conventional wisdom says that are exactly the same sound quality wise and this is why the connected two separate threads in the past into one (this one). Also in the outside box from massdrop with the product details it writes HD650 clearly.

However one month ago one sennheiser sponsor answered twice in a similar comment in youtube saying/implying that the 6XX is not the same as the 650. When they mentioned to him that previous sponsors in the past ensuring otherwise and whether we should split this headfi thread again he immediately deleted his comments.

Nevetheless, from that moment he put some doubt in me.

I did not buy the 6XX because it was cheap as I paid taxes to be shipped in UK but because I liked the blue colour much more than the previous model. Back then around 2017 you could find the 600 and 650 from 200£ ro 250£ in amazon but did not like the original colour schemes (especially the 600).

The new version of HD650 and HD600 have better plastics and design IMO only the box is missing. For a reasonable difference in price I would choose them now instead just not to have any doubt in my head.

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #45,790 of 46,554
I hope it is the same sound quality wise because otherwise I need to buy the 650 at some point.

The conventional wisdom says that are exactly the same sound quality wise and this is why the connected two separate threads in the past into one (this one). Also in the outside box from massdrop with the product details it writes HD650 clearly.

However one month ago one sennheiser sponsor answered twice in a similar comment in youtube saying/implying that the 6XX is not the same as the 650. When they mentioned to him that previous sponsors in the past ensuring otherwise and whether we should split this headfi thread again he immediately deleted his comments.

Nevetheless, from that moment he put some doubt in me.

I did not buy the 6XX because it was cheap as I paid taxes to be shipped in UK but because I liked the blue colour much more than the previous model. Back then around 2017 you could find the 600 and 650 from 200£ ro 250£ in amazon but did not like the original colour schemes (especially the 600).

The new version of HD650 and HD600 have better plastics and design IMO only the box is missing. For a reasonable difference in price I would choose them now instead just not to have any doubt in my head.
I also think it is safer to buy an original hd650 because of the possibly long-term quality of reliability.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #45,792 of 46,554
I have the HD 660s and the HD 6XX and they sound the same to me. I have no idea why. Unit variation maybe? Anyways, I also A/B tested them using an audio switch between my iPhone and my Mac mini. When they're volume matched, they sound identical which is nice since I like being able to listen to the 6XX anywhere in the house and not be tied to my desk.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #45,793 of 46,554
I just replaced the pads on my 650, never have done it before. I watched a YouTube video and in the end I did it but I am not sure if they are in the right place.

I squeezed pretty hard but I didn't hear them clicking in all the places...just upper left or down right....first time one of the pads was actually a little out of place so I had to push it down again. I don't want to apply much force cause I am afraid I will damage the grills or the headphones in general.

Now they are into place meaning they don't fall out or whatever....how can I be sure I have put them correctly? Would there be a sound difference if they were not put properly?

Cheers.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #45,794 of 46,554
I just replaced the pads on my 650, never have done it before. I watched a YouTube video and in the end I did it but I am not sure if they are in the right place.

I squeezed pretty hard but I didn't hear them clicking in all the places...just upper left or down right....first time one of the pads was actually a little out of place so I had to push it down again. I don't want to apply much force cause I am afraid I will damage the grills or the headphones in general.

Now they are into place meaning they don't fall out or whatever....how can I be sure I have put them correctly? Would there be a sound difference if they were not put properly?

Cheers.
Does not always do a noticeable click. Especially if they are some aftermarket which are not matched perfectly.

Usually I am trying to hold very carefully the headphone from the pad if it does not fall I know that they are correctly in place. Also you can go round the pad and put some extra pressure carefully to make sure that the pad is is place. You might hear a click in some places but most often not.

In any case, after you change pads in 4XX you will appreciate how easy is to change pads in the 6 series.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #45,795 of 46,554

Cheers.
They don’t require enough pressure to dent the grille, and the outer edges of the grille is plenty strong. Just a snap at the top or bottom, then 2 or 3 more clicks as you work around. You can then see if it’s even.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back