Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 16, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #45,796 of 46,554
They don’t require enough pressure to dent the grille, and the outer edges of the grille is plenty strong. Just a snap at the top or bottom, then 2 or 3 more clicks as you work around. You can then see if it’s even.
Mine definitely required enough pressure to dent the grilles. I know because I did it and the earpads still weren't clicked on. The trick is to use the plastic part around the grill.

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #45,797 of 46,554
As far as I can tell (which is just a hobbyist’s superficial knowledge), there are 2 things that go into this. One is impedance matching and the other is just the natural-sounding, expansive nature of tubes.

When you pair a high impedance headphone (like 300 ohms) with a high output impedance amp (like 120 ohms) you get a relatively low damping factor (in this case 2.5). Compared with most solid state amps, whose goal is to have as low an output impedance as possible, you’ll end up with a much higher damping factor, and thus duller, less energetic sound. It might be simplistic, but to me the sound from high impedance amps (solid state or tube) literally sounds less “damped” and more alive. ✅
✅ Exactly my thoughts! [That is why - as much as I love the LTA MZ3 - with its 2 ohm output impedance, the LTA MZ3 is more energetically lifelike with lower impedance Audeze LCD-X, Focal Clear OG, Grados than with ZMF dynamic headphones. I want that ‘blossoming’, that ‘release’!]

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #45,798 of 46,554
The pads are original I ordered them from sennheiser distributor and they were pretty pricey I might add....39 euros for a piece of plastic and foam....

I got them out and placed them again and I tried to make them even at all places. Unfortunately the first time I tried yesterday I put more pressure on and the right grill kinda bent....not touching anything though...

I am going to leave them like that before I do any more damage. Also I bet that its not good to disconnect the cables of the headphones every other day...

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #45,799 of 46,554
The pads are original I ordered them from sennheiser distributor and they were pretty pricey I might add....39 euros for a piece of plastic and foam....

I got them out and placed them again and I tried to make them even at all places. Unfortunately the first time I tried yesterday I put more pressure on and the right grill kinda bent....not touching anything though...

I am going to leave them like that before I do any more damage. Also I bet that its not good to disconnect the cables of the headphones every other day...
It will help if you disconnect them. I am doing that every time I change the pads. If you do it few times is not a problem. I would not want to do it every day though ....

And always work with the plastic outer ring never push the grilles.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #45,800 of 46,554

I pushed the grill in a few times (put a small dip in) on my 58X's when modding them. All you have to do is take off the grill and gently push out on the dent--good as new. Not sure you want to take off the grills but Youtube has some videos on it and once you get the hang of it you can just pop them right off. I've also disconnected and reconnected cables so often I can't even remember and as long as you line up the pins it's not a problem. But, don't want to encourage anything if you feel like backing off for now, I can certainly understand.

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #45,802 of 46,554
I finally realized after listening to so many different headphones, $100 pairs to $5000 i still realized that, i still love my sennheiser hd650s. i have never heard another headphone that can produce detailed but heavy bass like the sennheiser hd650s. Even though the sound is a little laid back, i still love them. i tried the grado sr325is and i just didnt like the sound, it was sort of muffled, there was (to me) hardly any detail. all i have to say is I LOVE MY 650s! No one can take them away from me!
rating:
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

now tell about your experiences =).
I don’t wanna be the one to start some thing, but the 650 just sounds so much better than the 6XX did I don’t know what it is it just does

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #45,803 of 46,554
I don’t wanna be the one to start some thing, but the 650 just sounds so much better than the 6XX did I don’t know what it is it just does
How are the pads on each? Are one pair of pads more worn down than on the other?

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #45,804 of 46,554
The pads are the same there’s some magic in the originals that’s just make it more rich and overall a better experience

Apr 16, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #45,805 of 46,554
I've spent the last couple of weeks pretty much exclusively using my HD650s. They're somehow hitting a spot in a way the Utopia, VC etc. don't for me right now, when paired with my Burson Soloist 3X GT (not to say those other headphones are flawed - I guess I just go through phases). Such a coherent sound, one that can provide genuine slam/great dynamics when powered properly without ever becoming fatiguing. There is zero chance I ever remove these from my collection that's for sure!

Apr 16, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #45,806 of 46,554
I've spent the last couple of weeks pretty much exclusively using my HD650s. They're somehow hitting a spot in a way the Utopia, VC etc. don't for me right now, when paired with my Burson Soloist 3X GT (not to say those other headphones are flawed - I guess I just go through phases). Such a coherent sound, one that can provide genuine slam/great dynamics when powered properly without ever becoming fatiguing. There is zero chance I ever remove these from my collection that's for sure!
I completely agree the 650 got something that no other headphone got at any any price range truly special it will be around/relevant for another 20 years

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #45,809 of 46,554
Hi everyone - I'm writing to share my quick impressions of the HD6XX. I purchased them a little over a month ago and, out of the box, wasn't really fan (they sounded fuzzy to my ears). I burned-in the headphones using Tara Labs Cascade Free Burn In Disc (on repeat, at night only, for a week, with the headphones covered in a blanket to muffle the sound). There was a very big improvement - they sounded more detailed relative to when they were out of the box. They just "cleared up". While I don't think the HD6XX is the last word in detail, they are a lot of fun to listen to.

However, I still found the HD6XX to be bright and lacking in bass extension. I read on another forum about Accurate Sounds' EQ filters for headphones by Mitch Barnett. While the articles focused on the impact his filters had on the Raal CA1A, Audeze TOTLs, and Abyss headphones, I saw that Mitch sells a filter for the HD6XX. I really found the HD6XX improved greatly after applying his EQ filter. I'm running his filters through HQPlayer. Bass extension has improved dramatically and the "brightness" I noticed recessed greatly. Music sounds far more balanced, while retaining the big and fun sound these cans deliver.

Has anyone else used Mitch's filters for this headphone? I wanted to make sure I shared my experience with the community in case folks weren't aware of it!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #45,810 of 46,554
Hi everyone - I'm writing to share my quick impressions of the HD6XX. I purchased them a little over a month ago and, out of the box, wasn't really fan (they sounded fuzzy to my ears). I burned-in the headphones using Tara Labs Cascade Free Burn In Disc (on repeat, at night only, for a week, with the headphones covered in a blanket to muffle the sound). There was a very big improvement - they sounded more detailed relative to when they were out of the box. They just "cleared up". While I don't think the HD6XX is the last word in detail, they are a lot of fun to listen to.

However, I still found the HD6XX to be bright and lacking in bass extension. I read on another forum about Accurate Sounds' EQ filters for headphones by Mitch Barnett. While the articles focused on the impact his filters had on the Raal CA1A, Audeze TOTLs, and Abyss headphones, I saw that Mitch sells a filter for the HD6XX. I really found the HD6XX improved greatly after applying his EQ filter. I'm running his filters through HQPlayer. Bass extension has improved dramatically and the "brightness" I noticed recessed greatly. Music sounds far more balanced, while retaining the big and fun sound these cans deliver.

Has anyone else used Mitch's filters for this headphone? I wanted to make sure I shared my experience with the community in case folks weren't aware of it!
Never heard the 6XX described as bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back