Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 11, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #45,841 of 46,554
Yeah sure i will share my impressionen. And from the pictures alone the custom cans mod makes the headphone at least 50% more attractive😉🫠

May 11, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #45,843 of 46,554
Which config gives the most bass; adding the CC backweight and removing the rear foam, or removing the spider cage and rear foam (bare magnet config)?
If you remove the spider cage, the backweight cannot be attached.

May 11, 2023 at 1:08 PM Post #45,845 of 46,554
How hard is the custom cans mod does it come with instructions for dumbasses like me ?
Quite easy. Instructions included, and there's a YouTube video that's super helpful. Hardest part is getting the little sticker in the right place. Sometimes you don't even need it, either. You just have to be kind of careful working around the driver, like getting the stock foam out, if you choose to do that.

May 11, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #45,846 of 46,554
Quite easy. Instructions included, and there's a YouTube video that's super helpful. Hardest part is getting the little sticker in the right place. Sometimes you don't even need it, either. You just have to be kind of careful working around the driver, like getting the stock foam out, if you choose to do that.

I see maybe I'll experiment with my beater 6xx and leave my HD650 stock.
Does anyone just mass load the drivers without messing with foam ?

May 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #45,847 of 46,554
I see maybe I'll experiment with my beater 6xx and leave my HD650 stock.
Does anyone just mass load the drivers without messing with foam ?
I did just that for a while. That could end up being your preference. The YT video I'm thinking about has descriptions and measurements of the various foam configurations, so I recommend checking that out. After a few weeks, I took out the stock foam and played a bit with the included ones, eventually landing on the middle density insert foams.

May 11, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #45,849 of 46,554
How hard is the custom cans mod does it come with instructions for dumbasses like me ?
A simple instruction sheet. There is a YouTube video on ‘jfunk.org’ on the custom cans mod. The mod, by itself, takes all of ten minutes.

May 11, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #45,850 of 46,554
I know, I was asking which config would have more bass between having the backweight on and no foam vs not having the spider cage on at all
By removing the spider cage / not having the backweight, the structural rigidity of the housing for the earspeaker is reduced. This cannot be good for quality or quantity of bass being reproduced.

May 11, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #45,851 of 46,554
By removing the spider cage / not having the backweight, the structural rigidity of the housing for the earspeaker is reduced. This cannot be good for quality or quantity of bass being reproduced.
I read a lot of rapports that those who removed the spider cage and the backfoam, would have boomy bass. That’s why they used Dynamat to make it tighter and lessen the quantity

May 11, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #45,852 of 46,554
I read a lot of rapports that those who removed the spider cage and the backfoam, would have boomy bass. That’s why they used Dynamat to make it tighter and lessen the quantity
That is why I said “this cannot be good for quality or quantity of bass”. The ‘boomy’ bass is uncontrolled and excessive.

May 12, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #45,855 of 46,554
Do you guys know the difference between the copper and nickel kits ? Is it just for looks ?
I think that it is cosmetic. The nickel is ‘plated’ onto the copper. I use the copper backweights with ‘marbled’ HD600 and the nickel backweights with ‘midnight blue’ HD6XX … 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back