Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 17, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #45,872 of 46,527
20230517_194632.jpg

Chocolate brown

May 17, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #45,874 of 46,527
Yes i will post the result, hopfully i can finish the paintjob this weekend.

May 17, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #45,875 of 46,527
May 17, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #45,876 of 46,527
Been borrowing a friends HD 650 recently (newest version) and I think I'm finally understanding and appreciating them. So far the HD 660S and HD 660S2 are just not sounding as good to my ears and there is a smooth effortlessness and body and detail to the vocals the newer ones just don't have.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #45,877 of 46,527
I'm always amazed at how smooth and effortless the mids are but alongside that how much detail it puts into rendering elements it should be weak at, taking into account all I've read over the years, eg cymbals. I've had treble rich headphones but I've often found cymbals becoming a tizzy mess compared to the space and shimmer they have on the hd650's behind those rich mids.

May 17, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #45,878 of 46,527
I'm always amazed at how smooth and effortless the mids are but alongside that how much detail it puts into rendering elements it should be weak at, taking into account all I've read over the years, eg cymbals. I've had treble rich headphones but I've often found cymbals becoming a tizzy mess compared to the space and shimmer they have on the hd650's behind those rich mids.
Yeah, the mids are honestly fantastic on them. Problem with the HD 660S for instance is it's too dry and sounds kinda strained (which causes me mild fatigue) and the HD 660S2 while better is not as effortless as the HD 650 and is a bit too recessed in the upper mids and isn't dynamic enough to make up for it (like my T1.3 is), also had some edge to treble that seems a tad out of place and while the S2's bass reaches deeper, is more detailed, and is tighter, I got fatigue from it's bass.

I have other good headphones but they're tuned differently. I've been looking for an intimate mid-focused sound and since I had bad experiences with the HD 650 in the past (likely due to bad system pairings), I avoided them. But since I had the opportunity to borrow a practically brand new pair, I decided to give them a proper listen again.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #45,879 of 46,527
Been borrowing a friends HD 650 recently (newest version) and I think I'm finally understanding and appreciating them. So far the HD 660S and HD 660S2 are just not sounding as good to my ears and there is a smooth effortlessness and body and detail to the vocals the newer ones just don't have.

yea the advantage the 600/650 have over the 660s/660s2 is in the timbre/naturalness aspect. the former two clear the latter two by a good margin in that regard (moreso over the 660s). it's the main factor that makes the 660s2 a side grade and 660s a downgrade to me - that piece and dynamics. Re dynamics speaking about the ability for louder sounds to sound louder in the mix. 660s2 had the weird quality of making all instruments sound at a similar volume which was unacceptable for me as a frequent listener of classical.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #45,881 of 46,527
yea the advantage the 600/650 have over the 660s/660s2 is in the timbre/naturalness aspect. the former two clear the latter two by a good margin in that regard. it's the main factor that makes the 660s2 a side grade to me - that piece and dynamics
Yeah honestly, they sound much more organic and it's so effortless and I'm hearing more information, nuance, and detail in the midrange too. I do think the old Senns do have better dynamics, maybe not in the bass, but definitely in the mids. When I listen to the HD 660S and HD 660S2 I felt they were lacking a bit there and they were more strained sounding in general. I want good midrange and treble dynamics too, not just bass dynamics. Oddly I find a lot of headphones struggle with midrange and treble dynamics. The newer Senns I've heard seem to struggle with it whereas the HD 600/650 have great dynamics there. Beyers also have great dynamics from top to bottom, but the HD 660S/S2 just feels lacking.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #45,882 of 46,527
Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #45,883 of 46,527
noooooo... not sh$t brown ahaa
I bet it look glorious 😂! But i know Brown is not everyones cup of tea! If the postman is fast enough there will be the option for dark blue.... but i thought blue for the 6xx is to obvious

May 18, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #45,884 of 46,527
The cons to my previous posting is the Harman Curve. Flat line isn't Harman Curve like!

More about Harman Curve -->
https://audiosolace.com/harman-target-curve-explained/
Under the Harman curve, listeners are categorized into three potential groups:
  • Harman curve lovers: This group comprises people under 50 primarily and forms 64% of all listeners. They prefer headphones with sound quality tuned very close to the Harman curve.
  • More bass lovers: This group makes up 15% of all listeners and mainly constitutes male and young people. They prefer headphones tuned 3 to 6dB more bass than Harman curve at sounds below 300Hz, and 1dB more for outputs above 1 kHz.
  • Less bass is better: Females and mostly older than 50 form the most significant chunk of this group, constituting 21% of all listeners. They prefer bass below the Harman curve by 2 to 3dB and 1db more on outputs above 1 kHz.

How Many Harman Curves are There?

https://headphonesaddict.com/harman-curve/

After almost a decade, we got 4 different iterations of the Harman curve. Each of them shows slight changes in what people prefer to hear.
In the last iteration from the year 2019, the curve received a slight boost in bass and smoother treble.

Different Harman targets.

Was ist die Harman-Kurve (und wie verbessert sie die Klangqualität von Kopfhörern)?

https://www.techesi.com/de/what-is-...-does-it-improve-headphone-sound-quality.html

What is your opinion, your experience?

May 18, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #45,885 of 46,527
I bet it look glorious 😂! But i know Brown is not everyones cup of tea! If the postman is fast enough there will be the option for dark blue.... but i thought blue for the 6xx is to obvious
I’d go for matte black, or even better - dark purple! :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back