Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #42,196 of 46,499
I just ran this test again

I can only discernibly hear the tone at 15.6k, but can feel the pressure on my ears at 16k. Before that I feel nothing. This is with my volume at slightly louder than conversation levels for the intro audio of the vid. Pretty good tool for seeing how your ears react to frequency. To give an idea this is with my thx 789 on lowest gain in balanced on my hd6xx with pot at 1:00. I might be able to hear past 16 if I crank the volume, but at that point Its really loud under normal audio conditions so not really a good hearing test imo

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #42,197 of 46,499
Okay guys, I don't wanna dig through 2810 pages so i'll just ask this.....{snip}......I will most likely be buying a Magni 3 / Modi 3......{snip}....Now to fill out the rest of my $400 budget, i'm considering either new 6xx or used 600s....{snip}.....My main uses would be just normal every day desktop stuff. Listening to youtube videos, twitch, occasional podcast/sports game and music. MY music taste is pretty much damn near everything but I listen to more metal than anything else, with the very occasional hip hop or edm track.....{snip}....I'm by no means a basshead at all but the music i mainly listen to does have a lot of double pedaling and the like.....{snip}......Will either of these be okay for me or should I look elsewhere?
The HD6xx units are significantly cheaper than the HD650s advertised here in Ontario. My listening interests are very similar to you. I'm happy with my Massdrop HD6xx purchase (and I find the Senheisser build-quality robust).
The Magni3 packs a hell of a lot of performance in for ~$100 USD. Even after Canadian/US exchange rates, customs, duties, and brokerage fees, it was an excellent value for me. I splurged for the Modi multibit option... my quirk. I suspect the Modi3 will suit your needs/wants.
If you go the Magni/Modi route, you'll have more money for your headphone selection - I suspect (quality headphones) > (DAC/head-amp).
I don’t own the HD 6XX’s yet but I do own a Magni 3 and a Vali 2 and I can tell you the Magni’s highs are more sharp and brittle sounding than the vali’s. On a more positive note the the bass guitar is well defined with the Magni. This is using my HIFIMAN HE-400i’s. From what I’ve read the 6XX’s and 650s are like putting honey over frequencies so maybe they would even it out.
I've been messing around with my HD6XX's with a Vali 2 for serveral months now. I can't put my finger on it, but I prefer plugging in my HD650-clones to the little toaster (Vali2), instead of my Magni3. For spoken word, I prefer the Magni's colouration. I (somehow) feel less fatigued using the Vali for long listening sessions. @Grado Diesel 's musings are in line with my experience. When my beer fund replenishes, I'm going to pick up a Massdrop HE-4xx planar magnetic (I want to see what all the fuss is about with planar magnetics)... and plug them into my little brushed aluminum boxes. :)

If a big whack of cash falls into my lap, I'd blow it on an Asgard2 (sstate headamp) & Valhalla (tube headamp). I like shiny things & toasters. :ksc75smile: I suspect it could all be fed by my mighty Modi... at least until I picked up a Gungnir. Meh...

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #42,198 of 46,499
I just ran this test again

I can only discernibly hear the tone at 15.6k, but can feel the pressure on my ears at 16k. Before that I feel nothing. This is with my volume at slightly louder than conversation levels for the intro audio of the vid. Pretty good tool for seeing how your ears react to frequency. To give an idea this is with my thx 789 on lowest gain in balanced on my hd6xx with pot at 1:00. I might be able to hear past 16 if I crank the volume, but at that point Its really loud under normal audio conditions so not really a good hearing test imo

This test shouldnt really exist, youtubes compression algorithim cuts of treble above 15 or 16k.

Feb 13, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #42,199 of 46,499
This test shouldnt really exist, youtubes compression algorithim cuts of treble above 15 or 16k.
Furthermore, they have freakin' background music playing!
I love that the guy in the video says to tell your friends and loved ones to shut the hell up while you're doing this test, but, oh, hey, check out this sweet video game music I made!

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #42,200 of 46,499
not a fan of such test video because the listening level is mighty important for the results, and I've seen too many people turning up the amp until they'd pass, possibly destroying some more hair cells in the process.
also the little descriptions per frequency range are dumb and misleading. I understand that they were meant to be funny but it's one of those times where it would be more relevant to correct than to be funny.
with that said, the backward tone sweep does start at about 20kHz and goes down correctly as advertised(checked by sending the sound to a RTA).

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #42,201 of 46,499
not a fan of such test video because the listening level is mighty important for the results, and I've seen too many people turning up the amp until they'd pass, possibly destroying some more hair cells in the process.
also the little descriptions per frequency range are dumb and misleading. I understand that they were meant to be funny but it's one of those times where it would be more relevant to correct than to be funny.
with that said, the backward tone sweep does start at about 20kHz and goes down correctly as advertised(checked by sending the sound to a RTA).
I agree about the volume level being very important. I’m not sure what it should be to be close to a clinical test, so thats why i set it a little higher than conversation level. Should be around 80db as a guess. Its cool you checked to see if the tone was actually playing. But too bad it aslo proves my hearing is only up to 15.6k. I guess I’m no super human! sigh...

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #42,202 of 46,499
Furthermore, they have freakin' background music playing!
I love that the guy in the video says to tell your friends and loved ones to shut the hell up while you're doing this test, but, oh, hey, check out this sweet video game music I made!
haha I noticed the background music as well. Was like hmm, this might get in the way a bit of the test.

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #42,203 of 46,499
The HD6xx units are significantly cheaper than the HD650s advertised here in Ontario. My listening interests are very similar to you. I'm happy with my Massdrop HD6xx purchase (and I find the Senheisser build-quality robust).
The Magni3 packs a hell of a lot of performance in for ~$100 USD. Even after Canadian/US exchange rates, customs, duties, and brokerage fees, it was an excellent value for me. I splurged for the Modi multibit option... my quirk. I suspect the Modi3 will suit your needs/wants.
If you go the Magni/Modi route, you'll have more money for your headphone selection - I suspect (quality headphones) > (DAC/head-amp).

I've been messing around with my HD6XX's with a Vali 2 for serveral months now. I can't put my finger on it, but I prefer plugging in my HD650-clones to the little toaster (Vali2), instead of my Magni3. For spoken word, I prefer the Magni's colouration. I (somehow) feel less fatigued using the Vali for long listening sessions. @Grado Diesel 's musings are in line with my experience. When my beer fund replenishes, I'm going to pick up a Massdrop HE-4xx planar magnetic (I want to see what all the fuss is about with planar magnetics)... and plug them into my little brushed aluminum boxes. :)

If a big whack of cash falls into my lap, I'd blow it on an Asgard2 (sstate headamp) & Valhalla (tube headamp). I like shiny things & toasters. :ksc75smile: I suspect it could all be fed by my mighty Modi... at least until I picked up a Gungnir. Meh...
I didn’t like the 4xx/400i with the magni 3 at all. Works great with the asgard 2 thppough. Schiit agrees as they have a pic of the 4xx with the asgard 2 on their product page.

Feb 13, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #42,204 of 46,499

Check out Razor Dog Audio and Amazon for HE-400i’s. They are much cheaper lately and I’ve read the 400i’s are more comfortable than the headband on the HE-4XX. I can wear my HE-400i’s for 8-10 hours a day no problem.

Feb 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #42,205 of 46,499
I agree about the volume level being very important. I’m not sure what it should be to be close to a clinical test, so thats why i set it a little higher than conversation level. Should be around 80db as a guess. Its cool you checked to see if the tone was actually playing. But too bad it aslo proves my hearing is only up to 15.6k. I guess I’m no super human! sigh...
yup, it's always disappointing to learn that we're just humans. despite all the common DNA I share with bananas:banana:, the conclusion remains the same. TBH, for stuff at 20khz, it should say "child" instead of superhuman.
I don't know if there is a typical standard testing procedure for such high frequencies, but doing it with a random headphone having a random frequency response probably doesn't help getting the standardized part. the hearing tests I've done for work were going up to a dazzling 8khz tone. ^_^

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #42,206 of 46,499
You definitely don't need to spend $1000 to wake the 650/6xx up at all. $350 for a thx 789 will do just fine.

IMO you don't need a big bad SS or OTL amp to make the HD650 class of headphones sound great. I actually get terrific sound out of my JAR650 (Juper Audio Research's heavily modded HD650) on every SS amp on hand, including the oldest, least expensive, and least powerful (M Stage Matrix HPA-1 w/upgraded opamps). Just listened to that combo again the other night...lovely sound.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #42,207 of 46,499
@BrotherKathos

You can do HD600 or 6XX/650 with Bottlehead crack and you'd get good musical output. With the crack, I'd recommend 600 over the 650/6XX. It gets the 600 at the right tonality. On the other hand, 6XX would be a valued choice compared to the 600 if considering price.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #42,208 of 46,499
I didn’t like the 4xx/400i with the magni 3 at all. Works great with the asgard 2 thppough. Schiit agrees as they have a pic of the 4xx with the asgard 2 on their product page.
I prefer my Vali 2 over the Magni3. I keep eyeing the Massdrop 4XX because of its ~$170 USD price price tag. (Magni3)(H4xx) was a lousy pairing, eh. Hmm, good to know.

Check out Razor Dog Audio and Amazon for HE-400i’s. They are much cheaper lately and I’ve read the 400i’s are more comfortable than the headband on the HE-4XX. I can wear my HE-400i’s for 8-10 hours a day no problem.
I've heard mutterings about the inconsistent build-quality of the HiFiman planar magnetics. That'd scare me away from them. Re: Razor Dog Audio... and HE-400i. Nevertheless, @Grado Diesel ... thanks for the idea. I'll be in a position to splurge for another pair of 'phones in May.

IMO you don't need a big bad SS or OTL amp to make the HD650 class of headphones sound great. I actually get terrific sound out of my JAR650 (Juper Audio Research's heavily modded HD650) on every SS amp on hand, including the oldest, least expensive, and least powerful (M Stage Matrix HPA-1 w/upgraded opamps). Just listened to that combo again the other night...lovely sound.
@Pharmaboy makes a good point: don't overspend on a headphone amplifier for this HDxxx class of headphones. While I jumped onto the Schiit Audio bandwagon, I suspect a JDS Labs Atom Amp (~$100 USD) and the Mayflower ODAC (has an amp & DAC) or Arc (just the amp, with DSP?!) would power them just fine.

@BrotherKathos

You can do HD600 or 6XX/650 with Bottlehead crack and you'd get good musical output. With the crack, I'd recommend 600 over the 650/6XX. It gets the 600 at the right tonality. On the other hand, 6XX would be a valued choice compared to the 600 if considering price.
Hell, I'd buy the Bottlehead just to get the DIY experience. Interesting pairing. @SilverEars ... thanks for the post, eh.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #42,210 of 46,499
I think I'm just gunna go the 6XX route.

I've heard with all the $100 amp options out now that the Magni 3 is kinda sub par and that the Atom is king now
I don't like the magni 3 much, but it does pair well with the 6xx. I've never heard the Atom, but it does use the same amp section as the EL amp which I do own and prefer to the magni 3 if that tells you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back