Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #39,241 of 46,499
20170709_194918.jpg

My diy cable, 1200 threads in total.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #39,242 of 46,499
Just bought a near-new HD650 to join my modded HD800 and Ether Flow.

I must say the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is an excellent match for it. I've been listening to music all night long. While obviously the technicalities are clearly inferior to both my other headphones it's just a really enjoyable fun non-fatiguing experience.

I may not hear everything like I do with the other two but what I hear I really enjoy. Amazing tonality. Also, it's not like the technicalities are bad, it's just that I'm comparing them to something 5x (or more) the price.

I have a balanced cable on order but right now I am using the "crappy" stock cable and still managing to enjoy the music.

I'm probably going to eventually give it a balanced Norne Solv X cable to bring the best out of it.

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #39,243 of 46,499

I must say the Cavalli Liquid Carbon is an excellent match for it. I've been listening to music all night long. While obviously the technicalities are clearly inferior to both my other headphones it's just a really enjoyable fun non-fatiguing experience.

I may not hear everything like I do with the other two but what I hear I really enjoy. Amazing tonality. Also, it's not like the technicalities are bad, it's just that I'm comparing them to something 5x (or more) the price.

I have a balanced cable on order but right now I am using the "crappy" stock cable and still managing to enjoy the music.

I'm probably going to eventually give it a balanced Norne Solv X cable to bring the best out of it.
Your experience totally matches mine. Driven by Graham Slee Solo UL here, it's just so effortlessly natural in a way only the hd650 can be (apart from an hd580 :) )

Jul 9, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #39,244 of 46,499

Balance or unbalance for hd650 is something hard to feel, to understand for me.
When I cut its 6.3 trs jack to weld a neutrik xlr4 (for hdvd800) I was surprised of channel separation, just it, bass is no changed. That is stock wire.
Then I upgrade its wire, I welded neutrik xlr4 again and test on hdvd800.
I use a xlr4 to 6.3 trs adapter also, to compare.

There is BIG difference. I cant say what I love over the other.
Unbalance:
1) deeper bass
2) has thicker background instruments
3) warmer mid, closer
Balance :
1) more channel separation
2) better layer
3) bigger sound stage
Ofcouse power is higher but this is not term of sq.

My cable improves 650 texture to near hd800s, 8/10 (regarding 10 is hd800s), stock cable 6.5/10

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #39,245 of 46,499
Amplifiers sound different in unbalanced vs balanced mode. So the differences you hear might not be same with other amplifiers.

Jul 9, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #39,246 of 46,499
Hi jwolf is the k5 sound slightly coloured or would you consider it pretty neutral?

I find it pretty much neutral.

So you are really a fan of that amp. Can I ask what your current collection of 'phones is?
While it is more expensive than an SMSL amp, it is very reasonably priced. For my proposed collection of HD6XX, PM3 and SR325E do you think this would be a nice match for all three? I don't think I would bother carrying an amp around, it would just be for my lazy boy and plugged into the wall.

Shane D

I have Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser HD6xx, PSB M4U 2, Koss PortaPro, Apple earpods (the wired ones that came with my iPhone), & Venture Electronics VE MONK Earbuds.

If the PM3 and SR325E aren't harder to drive than the HD650 then you'd be find with the K5.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #39,247 of 46,499
I find it pretty much neutral.

I have Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser HD6xx, PSB M4U 2, Koss PortaPro, Apple earpods (the wired ones that came with my iPhone), & Venture Electronics VE MONK Earbuds.

If the PM3 and SR325E aren't harder to drive than the HD650 then you'd be find with the K5.

Thanks for the reply.
The PM3 and the SR325E don't even require amping, it is more of a luxury.

I am slowly getting a plan together. At this point I don't plan on needing portability and will not be hooking it up to the computer. Plugged into a wall, and using DAP's, do I need an amp/DAC combo or just an amp?

Thanks!

Shane D

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #39,248 of 46,499

+1

Really enjoy the LC with my modded 650 and hd800 sdr mod with the same experience, enjoyable, fun, non-fatiguing and that's all I need :darthsmile:

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #39,249 of 46,499
Thanks for the reply.

I am slowly getting a plan together. At this point I don't plan on needing portability and will not be hooking it up to the computer. Plugged into a wall, and using DAP's, do I need an amp/DAC combo or just an amp?

Thanks!

Shane D

If you are using your DAP it will depend on the DAP that you use if you want a DAC/amp or just an amp since some DAPs only have line out while others have digital out and can be connected to a DAC/amp. I use a Fiio X3 and X3ii, both have digital coax out so I can connect them to either my Bifrost MB or Teac UD-301 using the digital coax or I can go line out from either DAP directly to Ember, Lyr2 or BH Crack amps.

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #39,250 of 46,499
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks!

Shane D

Just get an iFi iCAN SE amp, then. I have the iCAN (non-SE) and listening to my HD 600 on them and they sound great. Pretty sure they would drive the HD 650 great as well, although my HD 650 are at the office and I've not brought them home to try them on the iCAN yet.

(Incidentally, I also used to have the PM3 and they drove those great as well -- and the XBass boost helped, too -- and of course as you said the SR325e don't really need an amp but they work great on it, too.)

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #39,251 of 46,499
If you are using your DAP it will depend on the DAP that you use if you want a DAC/amp or just an amp since some DAPs only have line out while others have digital out and can be connected to a DAC/amp. I use a Fiio X3 and X3ii, both have digital coax out so I can connect them to either my Bifrost MB or Teac UD-301 using the digital coax or I can go line out from either DAP directly to Ember, Lyr2 or BH Crack amps.

At this point I don't use any Fiio products. I just have my iPod Classic and my Sony NWZ A17.
I am guessing I would use the charging cable of each DAP and connect to the rear of the amp via the USB in port?
If I am running this setup, is there any benefit of a DAC?

Thanks for the education!

Shane D

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #39,252 of 46,499
Just get an iFi iCAN SE amp, then. I have the iCAN (non-SE) and listening to my HD 600 on them and they sound great. Pretty sure they would drive the HD 650 great as well, although my HD 650 are at the office and I've not brought them home to try them on the iCAN yet.

(Incidentally, I also used to have the PM3 and they drove those great as well -- and the XBass boost helped, too -- and of course as you said the SR325e don't really need an amp but they work great on it, too.)

I found that amp at a store in Canada, although across the country. Selling price is $379.00, plus tax. Pretty pricey, but some good reviews.

Thanks for recommendation!

Shane D

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #39,253 of 46,499
At this point I don't use any Fiio products. I just have my iPod Classic and my Sony NWZ A17.
I am guessing I would use the charging cable of each DAP and connect to the rear of the amp via the USB in port?
If I am running this setup, is there any benefit of a DAC?

Thanks for the education!

Shane D
Hi Shane, I did some research on the Sony and it does not have digital output, only line out so you will not be able to connect an external DAC from what I've found so far.

For the ipod it seems you will need a docking station to get digital output from what I could find, it also depends on which generation/model ipod you have.

At this point an amp would be the only thing you might want to look at but it will be fed by the headphone jack of either device.

Hard to say if a external DAC will benefit you since I've never heard the ipod classic or sony DAP that you have but with my Fiio X3ii using the Bifrost MB or Teac UD-301 as a DAC does improve the sound over the DAC of the X3ii a little to me while the DAC of the X3 is quite good and there is not much difference in using an external DAC.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #39,254 of 46,499
the sony A10 series has a digital out using some special usb adapter(sony being sony). but compatibility with DACs can certainly be an issue so it might be worth asking if somebody tried the specific DAC on the dedicated topics.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #39,255 of 46,499
Hi Shane, I did some research on the Sony and it does not have digital output, only line out so you will not be able to connect an external DAC from what I've found so far.

For the ipod it seems you will need a docking station to get digital output from what I could find, it also depends on which generation/model ipod you have.

At this point an amp would be the only thing you might want to look at but it will be fed by the headphone jack of either device.

Hard to say if a external DAC will benefit you since I've never heard the ipod classic or sony DAP that you have but with my Fiio X3ii using the Bifrost MB or Teac UD-301 as a DAC does improve the sound over the DAC of the X3ii a little to me while the DAC of the X3 is quite good and there is not much difference in using an external DAC.

Thanks for the effort! Much appreciated.

Shane D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back