Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #39,226 of 46,514
There were sub-titles when I watched it.:confused:
Now I see them....they need to be turned on ...definitely entertaining... lol....thanks.
Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 9.43.25 AM.png
Love the prose...6:02 ...“like every piece being hand the sound on the way the HD 800 does.”

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #39,227 of 46,514
If you also need a source+amp then look at the Fiio X3ii, getting cheap ($150) since they will be replaced by the X3iii soon, or the X5ii since the X5iii just came out so the X5ii is quite a bit cheaper than when it first came out. I don't know about you but for me having to attach an amp to a DAP is not very convenient IMO. These will drive both the HD6XX and PM3 about as good as you can get for under $300 all in one solution, and you can always add a desktop amp later. Both also have coax digital output so you can even add a external DAC in the future.

I have the X3II and it does not drive the HD650 or HD6xx well enough. You do need an amp. I have a K5. I'm thinking of getting an A5 but I'm waiting to see what the X3III is goes to be like.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #39,228 of 46,514
I am okay with my sources for now. I like my Sony and I did like my new iPod Classic, but now it is getting a bit noisy. Hopefully it has a one year warranty. Right now the immediate plan is for headphones and an amp.

Considering how cheap the units are, would it be worth moving up the price scale? If so, any suggestions?

Shane D

I cannot speak about the Sony, but the iPod really needs to go. It's a terrible match for the HD650. The iPod is just terrible. It really needs to go. Apple lost their focus on music. The best iPod Apple ever made was the 4th gen. After that, it all went downhill fast.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #39,229 of 46,514
Thanks a lot for the help.
From what value do you think I can get a good quality cable? I'm not looking for something with supreme quality, but something at least with the quality of the original cable.

Flexibility and weight do not care much. Sound quality is the first choice.

Do you think this cable is a good choice?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement...r=&hash=item417b181decmGUMWfhJYYOFoytYakicDVg

https://www.amazon.de/lovinstar-versilberte-Upgrade-Sennheiser-HD580-HD600-HD650-Kopfhörer/dp/B06XVX1YKV/

I am using Ebay as a main purchase option because it is easy to send to the country I live in.

The cable on eBay I would not buy because it doesn't give enough details. The listing doesn't say what the wire is made of. The Amazon cable, maybe but I would say no. If I was buying a cable, I'd look for a listing that says what the cable is made of and if you want it, then you have enough information to get it.

Jul 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #39,230 of 46,514
Thanks for the reply. I don't want to get too far off subject, but I am looking to improve my HD 650 if I can. We must be talking about two different Kameleons. I am wanting something to use with my amp, not another or different amp. Here is what it says about the Kameleon, I will email them after the holiday and find out.
"The in-line Kameleon filter is an active equalizer with easy to insert modules that are tailored for specific headphones. The device goes between any source (as long as it is around line level) and your headphone amp. It corrects the frequency response of certain headphones so the tonal balance becomes more even".

Why doesn't the Kameleon flatten the sound so the graph is a straight line?

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #39,231 of 46,514
I cannot speak about the Sony, but the iPod really needs to go. It's a terrible match for the HD650. The iPod is just terrible. It really needs to go. Apple lost their focus on music. The best iPod Apple ever made was the 4th gen. After that, it all went downhill fast.

Lately I have been doing a lot of testing, with my own and other models of phones. With no EQ, straight out of the DAP the Sony sounds a lot better and has more power. I love the small form factor, but miss a lot of the iTunes options for customizing playlists.

I just tested out the X5iii the other day. Sounds nice and looks nice. MAN, it is heavy. Not sure about customization opportunities with it, as far as the music goes. It would be a heavy unit to drag around, compared to my little Sony.

Shane D

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #39,232 of 46,514
I have the X3II and it does not drive the HD650 or HD6xx well enough. You do need an amp. I have a K5. I'm thinking of getting an A5 but I'm waiting to see what the X3III is goes to be like.

Aren't they basically the same machine? Are you just looking for the portability factor?

Shane D

Jul 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #39,233 of 46,514
Why doesn't the Kameleon flatten the sound so the graph is a straight line?

That's a good question. The Kameleon isn't actually like an adjustable EQ unit. It is done in a way that attacks the worst aspects of the headphone and leaves its character behind as well.

Not all drivers EQ that well without introducing other artifacts and distortions plus phasing problems, so it is better for the sound if adjustments are as minimal as possible. Poor drivers really don't respond well to EQ so it's best to start with good 'uns, which the Senn really does have. This enables minimal adjustments to get a much flatter response.

Mind you ... what is flat in a headphone? I don't know any that do produce a flat frequency response really. They all have mini dips and hills ..... some way bigger than others.

For me, it's a totally different level with Kameleon. Sub bass is very present and it's slightly more open sounding than stock.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #39,235 of 46,514
I got the K5 for use at home and the A5 would be for portability.

So you are really a fan of that amp. Can I ask what your current collection of 'phones is?
While it is more expensive than an SMSL amp, it is very reasonably priced. For my proposed collection of HD6XX, PM3 and SR325E do you think this would be a nice match for all three? I don't think I would bother carrying an amp around, it would just be for my lazy boy and plugged into the wall.

Shane D

Jul 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #39,236 of 46,514
@JWolf Careful with the sequential single replies instead of multiple quote replies or the posting police will be all over your case in this thread as they were with me. (FYI, what you're doing is not against posting guidelines, just some members can't handle it.) Up to you how you reply. I prefer single quoting myself.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #39,237 of 46,514
anyone here use the mojo and 650s?
i usually listen (to my flc 8s iems) at light purple./blue...but they're easier to drive
than the 650s for sure...when i plugged in my 650s i had to go to past red to yellow
for good volume...is that what you're also finding with your mojo/650s combo...or am i going deaf?

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #39,238 of 46,514
I currently use HD650 with mojo & the iPhone SE. When using the mojo typically in the red/yellow/green to get the sound I prefer. If I use just iPhone SE (European version) then probably use at 80% - 90% of max volume. I know a lot of people say the iPhone cannot drive HD650 but certainly in terms of volume it can & actually think it is a decent match. My mojo currently in for repair so just using iPhone at the moment.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #39,239 of 46,514

I felt and a few others along with me felt that the X3ii was decent with the HD650 and didn't require an amp to sound okay, this is a matter of preference and not absolute, but agree that an amp does help you get more out of them, its why many say they will scale with better gear. I've very little experience with portable amps other than the Hugo, Mojo and M8 which to me are all really good gear as far as portable DACs/amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back