Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #39,047 of 46,499
I let go my hd 650... and expect to retrieve them...!
I have appreciated them specially on the Oppo HA1, with balanced connexion...
Better dynamism, good basses, more clarity...
I enjoyed them with this companion...
They are modded ...As these modds were made by a relation, I would like to buy the pair I sold...!!

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #39,049 of 46,499
I can't imagine the difference is huge, as their default calibrations are created from an averaged frequency response from a number of units. Sennheiser is also very good about product consistency.

Jun 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #39,050 of 46,499
has anyone here had their 650s professionally calibrated by sonarworks?
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sonarworks-headphone-calibration-software.762969/page-53
just wondering if you're happy with the outcome

I've heard the HD650 with the standard plug-in and it a noticeable change in the overall sound signature, you might be able to duplicate it with careful EQ but I've never tried. Haven't heard of anyone sending their own HD650 to get it calibrated but I can't imagine it to be drastically different from the standard profile. FWIW I didn't really care for the changes but this is a personal preference.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #39,052 of 46,499
I have the SonarWorks plug-in but I prefer the HD 650 sound just the way it is - no equalization needed.

So you have this plugin for your computer but what good is it when most computers sound like crap for quality music? My Fiio X3II sounds better than my laptop and my desktop. This plugin won't work for my portable device. It means I'm tethered to the computer. Also, they don't have a profile for PSB headphones. So again, useless.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #39,053 of 46,499
Just because it doesn't work for you in your situation doesn't make it useless. Most people use computers and USB as their source and connection.

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #39,054 of 46,499
Agree with others who have noted the Sennheiser 650s can be exceptional when mated with the right front end/amplification. The 650s and 600s tend to be warm enough to be called "dark" by some, but with good amplification and a tonally honest front end they're fantastic.

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #39,055 of 46,499
So you have this plugin for your computer but what good is it when most computers sound like crap for quality music? My Fiio X3II sounds better than my laptop and my desktop. This plugin won't work for my portable device. It means I'm tethered to the computer. Also, they don't have a profile for PSB headphones. So again, useless.

The key is to find or build a computer that isn't crap for quality music, FWIW my Fiio X3ii doesn't sound better than any of my computers even if straight from built-in headphone jack (HD650 not used from headphone jacks since there isn't enough juice to get to listening volume), and even with the X3ii connected to my Bimby or UD-301 with the digital coax and then connected to a BH Crack the HD650 still sounds better from the optical output of the two mobo's to either of the mentioned DACs and BH Crack. I also have two other systems that have Asus Xonar sound cards which can drive the HD650, but the BH Crack fed by either DAC is still better.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #39,057 of 46,499
My Mac mini mated to the ODAC & Project Ember is supplying me with the best sound I've ever heard in my own home. I guess I'm old though, and my hearing is definitely not what it once was.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #39,058 of 46,499
if you want any headphone calibrated to what Sonarworks decided to define as their target, you can send the headphone to them and they'll do a custom calibration.
as for the "it doesn't work with my brand of coffee machine so it's useless", you might come to notice at some point that there are other people in the world with other needs and habits. :wink:

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #39,059 of 46,499
Agree with others who have noted the Sennheiser 650s can be exceptional when mated with the right front end/amplification. The 650s and 600s tend to be warm enough to be called "dark" by some, but with good amplification and a tonally honest front end they're fantastic.

Very much so. In fact, I love my 650 so much that I have two of them - one that I use regularly and one that's a spare still sitting unwrapped in its original packaging. Just in case the first one breaks or Sennheiser decides to do something really stupid - like end the production of the 650 and introduce a successor with a different voicing.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #39,060 of 46,499
Just because it doesn't work for you in your situation doesn't make it useless. Most people use computers and USB as their source and connection.

I originally bought SonarWorks to tame the treble on my AKG K701s. It does indeed tame the treble, but after EQ the headphones sound a bit 'neutered' to me so I ended up not using the EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back