Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #39,016 of 46,499
Yes.

Horses for courses, though. Grado really likes a clean, low output impedance SS amp, as well as music that meshes well with their bright sound.

I really like acoustic guitar or solo violin with my RS-2i and a Lehmann amp; music with which the HD-650 does not sound great.

YMMV.

And with the Grado, bright and harsh.

May 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #39,018 of 46,499
These pads from ebay are very similar to the ones I bought for the plastic ring. As long as they have that plastic ring that snaps into the headphone you can cut the pads off and use the rings to adapt nicer pads.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #39,019 of 46,499
These pads from ebay are very similar to the ones I bought for the plastic ring. As long as they have that plastic ring that snaps into the headphone you can cut the pads off and use the rings to adapt nicer pads.

Thanks for the additional info, I guess when I need to change the pads on my HD650 I have a few options.

May 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #39,020 of 46,499
Thanks for the additional info, I guess when I need to change the pads on my HD650 I have a few options.

You're welcome! I never knew what I was missing with these real leather pads.

May 28, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #39,022 of 46,499
I remove my pads with the rings, hand wash them in a mild soap, rinse and then throw them in the dryer. Good as new.
I did that a few times, but the foam still loses thickness as time passes. I give up and get new pads as soon as my ear starts touching the inside of the headphone.

May 29, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #39,023 of 46,499
image.png

Richard Thompson with HD650s!

I thought artists usually used closed back cans in the studio.

May 29, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #39,024 of 46,499
They usually do but if an artist has a request or preference, especially for a famous one, mixing engineers always try and accommodate. He's probably listening at a pretty low volume so bleed shouldn't be too bad. Also, look at the closed back cans sitting on the desk, probably was given those first lol! He might need to hear his voice "live" and sometimes even good studios can screw up live monitoring depending on the system used.

It also doesn't look like a serious recording session, more of a live jam or stream for internet radio or talk show etc.

May 30, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #39,026 of 46,499
Well, after much deliberation, hand wringing, graph looking, auditioning and etc. I have finally decided to pull the trigger on a pair of HD 650s.

Context:

I've owned lots of different IEMs. Etymotics and Sonys mainly. I've had various over ear cans but I hit a plateau with my current lineup:

B&W P5 (original series)
Sennheiser 598 Cs
Sennheiser 598 (original series)
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohm

I consider the 598 to be my sound signature reference. I run them through a Schiit Modi/Magni 2U stack and they sound excellent. I use the Cs version with my iPhone (highly under rated headphones) and the Beyers with my Onkyo TX-NR646.

After many many hours with all of these phones I found that the Beyers are a touch too analytical for my taste and the 598s, while giving me the basic signature I want need more bass and upper mid clarity. So the 600/650 seemed like the logical upgrade path. I chose the 650 because I feel that the Beyer DT990s fill my studio monitor niche. My stereo is driving Yorkville YSM1 studio monitors and the Beyers have a VERY similar sound to them. The HD600 moves more toward a flatter sound from there. But for this latest round of phones I wanted something with a more musical approach while retaining a professional profile. Fun, but not TOO fun.

B&H has them for $320 right now. Mine get here on June 7th. Right before my birthday! Can't wait.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #39,029 of 46,499

Richard Thompson with HD650s!

I thought artists usually used closed back cans in the studio.

Open headphones like the AKG 240, HD 600 and HD 800 are also used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back