Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #38,701 of 46,514
  I seriously don't get how you guys think MD is getting full-quality regular-build $499 MSRP HD650s and selling them for $200 but okay... 
beyersmile.png

Today the HD650 is selling for $315.00 on Amazon.  I could not tell you the last time they were actually $499.00.  At 15 years plus since release all developmental and equipment costs are paid.  I would being willing to bet there is still a nice profit margin for both Sennheiser and Massdrop.

As the warranty is from Sennheiser they are not going to sell 5,000 subpar headphones that they then have to back.

Plus we get a great set of cans for $200.00. 

wink.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #38,702 of 46,514
I ain't saying they're bad.

I'm just saying they're not the same as the HD-650s that come straight from Senn, and it's more than just paint and a cable.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #38,703 of 46,514
They are the same headphone. They measure the same. Look at the measurements before telling us they aren't the same.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/824703/sennheiser-x-massdrop-hd6xx-review-preview-head-fi-tv

(There's a video by Jude and confirming measurements)

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #38,704 of 46,514

I'm just saying they're not the same as the HD-650s that come straight from Senn, and it's more than just paint and a cable.

You've yet to offer a single shred of evidence to support that claim, and it directly contradicts everything we actually know about them 

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #38,705 of 46,514

You've yet to offer a single shred of evidence to support that claim, and it directly contradicts everything we actually know about them 

I think that when it comes down to it, he is just not a fan of Massdrop...

beerchug.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #38,707 of 46,514
"Alternative facts"...

ph34r.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #38,708 of 46,514
I've got the 6xx and they sound the same as the 650. Where are you getting your information from?

+1.
No difference in sound between the HD6xx and HD650 that I could hear.
Build-wise the same as well.
I could tell no difference at all, build-wise or sound-wise.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #38,710 of 46,514
They also have a different name :D 

I can hear where SomeGuyDude is coming from. And to be fair he is just voicing an opinion. If we all had to produce evidence to back up our opinions on here.... Well.

I've never been attracted to the massdrop stuff... Same price over here anyways. 

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #38,712 of 46,514
I only ever buy from massdrop if it is a product I cannot get in the UK

I remember buying the 650's, oh about 18 months or so ago and knew nothing about these except for online reviews. I guess I was lucky in my blind buy.
The reason I even say this, if I was a newbie and just into HP's and saw these 6xx @ a $200 price point and were the same as the 650's, I probably would've been very suspect because I wouldn't have known jack. So I can understand where SomeGuyDude is coming from. It's hard to fathom a knock off having the same exact specs and performance minus the paint job and cable.
I'm surprised why anyone would ever buy the HP 650's..... ever! Hell, this may be a great Christmas present for my brother and save me close to $200
Edit: my apologize for quoting you, fat finger and didn't want to rewrite :)
Regards....

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #38,713 of 46,514
  With a lot cheaper parts, so like the K7xx vs the K712 it sounds mostly similar but is a lot flimsier and not as refined.

I wouldn't feel bad. Massdrop exclusives (except the TH-X00) are cheap versions of standard products and take 3+ months to ship out if you aren't one of the unlucky people who get told they don't have enough stocked.

I made the mistake of doing the MD thing in the past and it took so effing long for it to ship I almost forgot I'd ordered it. 

​What are the cheaper parts? From what they've confirmed so far, the only difference is the paint job and a different cable..

Massdrop habitually uses b-stock drivers and chintzy housings. Reviews of the K7XX are littered with people talking about them being creaky and feeling cheap, the HD6XX has the same.

Think of it from Sennheiser's side. Why in the hell would they take what is likely their most popular audiophile product and sell it for half price while also having to give a third party a cut of the profits? Wouldn't it just be proof that their product is wildly overpriced if they're selling it at $499 MSRP (and about $350 street price) but can afford to sell them at $200? No, it's a good way for them to unload parts that work fine but didn't pass QC for whatever reason.

The defense may be "yeah but it's a DROP, this is guaranteed bulk sales!" but that falls apart at the first hurdle because of just simple math. They're making a hell of a lot less money per set sold on MD... unless the parts are either much cheaper or couldn't be used in their own sets.

Because obviously MD would say that they're using b-stock parts. 

But no, okay, y'all just keep thinking that Sennheiser is, for no good reason, selling their standard-bearer at half price through a third party and, for equally no good reason, continues to sell the HD650 at normal price.

I seriously don't get how you guys think MD is getting full-quality regular-build $499 MSRP HD650s and selling them for $200 but okay... 
beyersmile.png

They also have a different name :D 

I can hear where SomeGuyDude is coming from. And to be fair he is just voicing an opinion. If we all had to produce evidence to back up our opinions on here.... Well.

I've never been attracted to the massdrop stuff... Same price over here anyways. 

Actually the box for the HD6XX states the model is the HD650.

The above quoted post are not what I would call an opinion.  They are written as a statement of fact.

Whether the HD650 is veiled or not, for instance, that is an opinion. 

deadhorse.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #38,714 of 46,514

Actually the box for the HD6XX states the model is the HD650.

The above quoted post are not what I would call an opinion.  They are written as a statement of fact.

Whether the HD650 is veiled or not, that is an opinion. 

deadhorse.gif

Hahaha.. You've really got it in for him haven't you? 

All I see is an opinion... And thats a fact :) 

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #38,715 of 46,514
  Hahaha.. You've really got it in for him haven't you? 

All I see is an opinion... And thats a fact :) 

What's a fact is that you're incorrect.

An opinion is something subjective. Whether or not the HD650 is the same driver as the HD6xx would be something objective. Objective is measurable. It's not something up for debate here. Yes, color and cable may be different, but if the driver is the same, that's what matters.

Jude took OBJECTIVE measurements of both the HD650 and HD6xx and they were virtually identical. He said they sounded it as well and he would not be able to blind test any difference. He is the founder of this here lovely website we all use. I think his word and measurements mean something, they do for me.

I think "someguydude" was either trolling or has something against Massdrop which it sounded like through comments. That's an opinion. Subjective.

So this is all I have left to say on the subject. Look at the measurements which are objective, not opinions on the matter.

Case closed. Checkmate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back