Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #34,531 of 46,533
A rule of thumb that mostly works... if you haven't heard much about a specific amp/headphone pairing, it's probably because it's not very popular. Generally speaking, the popular combos are known to sound excellent together... spending money on something that looks enticing that not many people use is probably not something I'd recommend. I'm sure this will ensure flameage, but at this point, I don't really care. Too many people try to fit a square peg into a round hole, and then come back here asking for a new upgrade a few months later. Spec wise, most headamps will drive headphones just fine. Once you hear synergy, you understand why people recommend certain combos.

And yes, of course someone has to blaze the trails and try certain gear with certain headphones. And yes, there are plenty of FOTM's as well.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #34,533 of 46,533
  Yeah I read that innerfidelity article while doing research on what pair of headphones to buy. I was looking for something that has a lot of clarity but also adds a bit of warmth which seemed like the HD650 would be perfect for. I have the newer version with silver drivers. I used the E10k with it for a few days before selling it and upgrading my set up to the Vali + Modi. Also, I recently ordered the Crack with Speedball upgrade for Bottlehead's sale so I'll see if that makes a good amount of difference. From my understanding the Speedball upgrade is supposed to improve the clarity a good amount.

Testing what audiojun recommend about listening at a higher volume has improved the clarity a bit. Normally I listen to somewhere between 8-10 "o'clock" on the Vali and turning it up to about 11-12 brightens the highs a good amount. The only issue is that I listen a lot while I'm working so I don't want to damage my hearing with higher volumes for extended periods of time.

Being pretty new to high quality headphones, I haven't nailed down all the jargon yet so I'm not sure if I'm describing what I hear correctly. To reiterate, the overall sound quality of these are really good but for songs I've listened to enough to be familiar with every sound the HD650s don't quite separate the sounds as much as I'm used to. So when people say that they discover new things in their music while listening to these I feel like I am actually taking a step back instead of diving deeper into the music. Could this be whats described as the "laid back sound" or "veil"?

That's weird since I find they have tons of separation between sounds, more than the HD600, if anything almost a trace too much.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #34,535 of 46,533

What are you powering them with? I don't doubt that they are cable of that, I'm more just wanting to know if there is an issue with my pair since I bought them used or if it has to do with my amp/dac.

Maybe because I'm using a solid state Benchmark DAC1 PRE to drive them, I don't know, but I'd hardly call them unnaturally veiled or muddy or laid back, the treble is very crisp and present, maybe just a shy weak on one little segment of the low treble (where the HD600 is too high), but that actually makes them give even more separation between sounds not less. I'm constantly stunned when some say the treble is totally veiled and dark and muddy and so on. If it had more it would be fake and bright.

Or maybe it's just a difference between our ears or maybe you've just become used to some super bright and very toned audio?
Sometimes it takes a a day or two to get used to anything remotely close ot flat if all you've ever used is stuff with all sorts of crazy peaks.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #34,537 of 46,533
  Maybe because I'm using a solid state Benchmark DAC1 PRE to drive them, I don't know, but I'd hardly call them unnaturally veiled or muddy or laid back, the treble is very crisp and present, maybe just a shy weak on one little segment of the low treble (where the HD600 is too high), but that actually makes them give even more separation between sounds not less. I'm constantly stunned when some say the treble is totally veiled and dark and muddy and so on. If it had more it would be fake and bright.

Or maybe it's just a difference between our ears or maybe you've just become used to some super bright and very toned audio?
Sometimes it takes a a day or two to get used to anything remotely close ot flat if all you've ever used is stuff with all sorts of crazy peaks.

Yeah it did take me a week or so to get used to them but I've had them for over a month now and they still sound a little bit too muddy for me. But I think the problem is with the sound quality of the Vali at lower volumes, which I typically listen to. If I turn it up it becomes a good amount less muddy but is loud to the point where I can only listen 30 minutes or so. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #34,538 of 46,533
  They are not quite like the AKG701 (although more than the HD600 are) but I think those are a bit unnaturally thin at the end of the day.

What are you referring to here? The HD 650's? If so, you're deaf. They are nothing like the 701's.

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #34,539 of 46,533

Yeah it did take me a week or so to get used to them but I've had them for over a month now and they still sound a little bit too muddy for me. But I think the problem is with the sound quality of the Vali at lower volumes, which I typically listen to. If I turn it up it becomes a good amount less muddy but is loud to the point where I can only listen 30 minutes or so. 

The HD 650's are not at their best at low volume levels, IMO.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #34,540 of 46,533

The HD 650's are not at their best at low volume levels, IMO.

Is there a good way to measure the dB levels coming from headphones? I already have a moderate case of tinnitus so I try to keep the volume on low when listening for long period of times. I tried using an iPhone app and cupping it into one of the earpads but it measured it a lot lower than I think it actually is so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #34,541 of 46,533

Is there a good way to measure the dB levels coming from headphones? I already have a moderate case of tinnitus so I try to keep the volume on low when listening for long period of times. I tried using an iPhone app and cupping it into one of the earpads but it measured it a lot lower than I think it actually is so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

If you have a smart phone just get a SPL meter app, see below:

If you place the phone between the ear pads like below the reading will be on the low slide by about 7-9dB, depending on the headphone, pads and where the mic of the phone is located

To get a little more accurate readings you will have to calibrate the meter app on your phone and then place the mic of the phone as close to the driver as possible to get good readings.

Jul 5, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #34,542 of 46,533
  A rule of thumb that mostly works... if you haven't heard much about a specific amp/headphone pairing, it's probably because it's not very popular. 

My experience with Head-Fi is that "popular" is mostly a function of "low cost" + "buzz" and secondarily a function of "synergy", as evidenced by the O2 + HD-650 discussions that re-occur in this thread, every month or so. Many on this thread were proponents of the O2, at one time or another, and now will state a lack of "synergy" with the pairing.

There is definitely a lemming effect on Head-Fi.

Jul 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #34,544 of 46,533
I love my hd600 I got from bro in law. But bass could be a bit better. I hear 650s are my ticket. I need to listen to these one day. I have Magni2 that I use 600s with.

If you're open to using EQ...here's some info. (_gl author).  Made a huge difference IMO.  

Edit...added link I forgot...http://www.head-fi.org/t/797907/hd600-my-custom-bass-extension-curves
Bern

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #34,545 of 46,533

I love my hd600 I got from bro in law. But bass could be a bit better. I hear 650s are my ticket. I need to listen to these one day. I have Magni2 that I use 600s with.

If you're open to using EQ...here's some info. (_gl author).  Made a huge difference IMO.  

Bern

Didn't see a link Bern, so I've taken the liberty:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/797907/hd600-my-custom-bass-extension-curves .
Well worth checking out the thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back