Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 30, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #34,036 of 46,554
I just returned the Dunu Dn2000 IEMs yesterday after being hugely unimpressed. £210 for me is a lot of dosh... I think my expectations where far too high and I ended up bitterly disappointed. So with the money saved I then decided to finally pull the trigger on the fabled HD650s... after much much debating.

I returned the AKG K550s after the hype on head fi made me think they'd be my end game over ear. I've also been let down by Grado sr80s, Soundmagic HP150s also. None of them did anything special for me. I hated the Grado sound especially.

I bought the HD650s last night with express delivery for tonight thru Amazon. I was up against the clock for overnight delivery... i made it by ONE MINUTE, I'm not the patient type. I was a bit apprehensive after I pressed the purchase button as moments later in another thread someone said they were just like UE 6000s, which i also have and think are a decent over ear but not at the level I'd expect these to be. The guy was talking out his ass if he thinks these are similar lol....

I've only been listening for an hour, The Best Of Bond Soundtracks. WOW WOW WOW. these are exceptional, and from what I've read only get better after burn in :) I can see why they are sitting at number one on head fi. They just tick every box. Beautiful sounding. Detailed like I've never heard before... not the analytical type either. They are hugely musical and open sounding. MIDS are to die for.

Sooo my question is lol... I'm using my Fiio e10k and it is at full volume and I'm getting a great sound. I've been looking at replacing it recently though for something better. I'm caught between Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2, Cayin Stark c5 and Meridian Explorer. Does anyone have one of these paired with their 650s and can recommend them. i like listening at quite a high volume on my laptop. It would also power my MEE Pinnacle 1s IEM and Senn HD25iis.

Any help much appreciated.

May 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #34,037 of 46,554
@harry501501, while I would not use my HD-650 as a portable (I assume this with your choices) I haven't found anything portable yet that will do the HD-650 justice, but this is just my opinion, others may say otherwise.  Maybe the new Woo WA8 might do the trick but that way too much IMO.

Seeing that you want to drive a few different headphones I would suggest a Project Ember, its a hybrid amp that quite a few have said works well with the HD-650, and I agree but I find that my BH Crack does a little better job than my Ember.

And I like the Best of Bond soundtracks, hard to believe all those great songs were used.  Only thing missing are the last two by Adele and Sam Smith

May 30, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #34,038 of 46,554
  @harry501501, while I would not use my HD-650 as a portable (I assume this with your choices) I haven't found anything portable yet that will do the HD-650 justice, but this is just my opinion, others may say otherwise.  Maybe the new Woo WA8 might do the trick but that way too much IMO.

Seeing that you want to drive a few different headphones I would suggest a Project Ember, its a hybrid amp that quite a few have said works well with the HD-650, and I agree but I find that my BH Crack does a little better job than my Ember.

And I like the Best of Bond soundtracks, hard to believe all those great songs were used.  Only thing missing are the last two by Adele and Sam Smith

May 30, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #34,039 of 46,554
@mbusby, thanks for the vid, I like it
darthsmile.gif

May 30, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #34,040 of 46,554

Hi, the three I mention are all DACs, it's for my laptop not portable. Those are great songs btw

May 30, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #34,041 of 46,554
  Hi, the three I mention are all DACs, it's for my laptop not portable. Those are great songs btw

I thought the first 2 are DAC/amp combo?  But doesn't matter since you have cleared that up.

So getting back to your question, are you looking for just a DAC and will use the Fiio as your amp?

May 31, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #34,044 of 46,554
  I thought the first 2 are DAC/amp combo?  But doesn't matter since you have cleared that up.

So getting back to your question, are you looking for just a DAC and will use the Fiio as your amp?

Hi, the Fiio e10k is just a DAC, not an AMP. I'm kinda fed up with it as it's not a preferred sound that i like. Plus it only powers the Hd650s at high gain AND high volume and with VLC media player at just under 100% volume. I'm kinda favouring the Dragonfly 1.2 as it sound like it's a nice airy detailed sound. The e10k is the opposite to my ears. It is quite congested sounding. I also use Mee P1s when i'm taking my laptop to work, they also need some juice and i think the DF1.2 could help them up too as they are very very smooth (but still detailed), a more neutral DAC could be just what they need.

edit : Spelling

May 31, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #34,045 of 46,554
I was looking at the Little Dot but I generally listen to music sitting on my bed watching my TV at end of bed. I'm not sure it would sit right and i'd hate for it to fall off my bed.

May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #34,046 of 46,554
Finally decided to just go for it and get the Valhalla 2.  Will probably have my Vali 2 up in the classifieds soon now.  Looking forward to pairing with my 650s.  

May have to sell my new Vibros now too though, as they won't exactly pair nicely with an OTL.

May 31, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #34,047 of 46,554
  Finally decided to just go for it and get the Valhalla 2.  Will probably have my Vali 2 up in the classifieds soon now.  Looking forward to pairing with my 650s.  

May have to sell my new Vibros now too though, as they won't exactly pair nicely with an OTL.

You might be surprised with the ZMF.  I wouldn't send them away till you try it with the Valhalla 2...

May 31, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #34,049 of 46,554

Hi, the Fiio e10k is just a DAC, not an AMP. I'm kinda fed up with it as it's not a preferred sound that i like. Plus it only powers the Hd650s at high gain AND high volume and with VLC media player at just under 100% volume. I'm kinda favouring the Dragonfly 1.2 as it sound like it's a nice airy detailed sound. The e10k is the opposite to my ears. It is quite congested sounding. I also use Mee P1s when i'm taking my laptop to work, they also need some juice and i think the DF1.2 could help them up too as they are very very smooth (but still detailed), a more neutral DAC could be just what they need.

edit : Spelling

Isn't the E10K a DAC/amp combo?  Also the Dragonfly 1.2 is a DAC/amp combo unless I'm mistaken.  Have you considered a DAP?  Some say the Pono in balanced mode is quite good with the HD-650 and I've tried my Fiio X3 & X3ii, they will get the HD-650 quite loud at about 90/120, they don't sound as good as the BH Crack or Ember but are much cheaper.  If you want clean neutral many like the ODAC/O2 combo and for the price its quite good if you like the sound signature (to be honest it didn't work for me but its a preference, not a indication of the quality).

May 31, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #34,050 of 46,554

Vahalla2 is excellent w/650's. I ran x2's with it on low gain once & it wasn't that bad. Great for high z though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back