Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #34,068 of 46,564
I don't think there's an endgame combo for myself. I'm always looking to try new gear so I usually buy knowing it's not a permanent solution. A bifrost or gumby would be an excellent choice for a dac & as I've always enjoyed the 650's & 800's on tube amps something from Eddie current would be all one would need. I'm curious now about the mhdt tube Dac's, that may be my next choice as I missed out on a used gumby over the weekend.

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #34,069 of 46,564
I don't think there's an endgame combo for myself. I'm always looking to try new gear so I usually buy knowing it's not a permanent solution. A bifrost or gumby would be an excellent choice for a dac & as I've always enjoyed the 650's & 800's on tube amps something from Eddie current would be all one would need. I'm curious now about the mhdt tube Dac's, that may be my next choice as I missed out on a used gumby over the weekend.

Just looked up mhdt tube Dac's they look quite interesting....... Cheers thanks..

Jun 1, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #34,070 of 46,564
I'm loving these. I love the way they make you feel like you are right there in the studio, as if playing instruments yourself. Happy man. Fiio e10k seems more capable as they start to open up. Looking at the e17k though... second hand £50

Jun 1, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #34,072 of 46,564
Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Welcome to Headfi, menieres!

End game for me is analog rig. It blows away any DAC I have heard in every aspect.
I'm using the VPI Classic 2 Companion presently. It sounds extremely detailed, realistic, and exposes layers in the music that were never apparent in years of listening with the 650's.

As for amplifiers, the Eddie Current Zana Deux is a truly end game amp for the 650's. I have not heard better synergy.

As for DACs that sound good, I can recommend the Multibit Gungnir. It is exceptional for the price. The Yggdrasil is slightly more revealing, but I would venture into analog if detail and multi layering is what you desire.

On a budget, Bottlehead Crack is a great amp, as well as Valhalla 2. Either could be end game on a budget with the right tubes. I would also recommend the Geek Out v2 as an extremely capable DAC/amp combo.

Have fun, the 650's are great headphones. I also found they were improved with the dynamat mods.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #34,073 of 46,564
Welcome to Headfi, menieres!

End game for me is analog rig. It blows away any DAC I have heard in every aspect.
I'm using the VPI Classic 2 Companion presently. It sounds extremely detailed, realistic, and exposes layers in the music that were never apparent in years of listening with the 650's.

As for amplifiers, the Eddie Current Zana Deux is a truly end game amp for the 650's. I have not heard better synergy.

As for DACs that sound good, I can recommend the Multibit Gungnir. It is exceptional for the price. The Yggdrasil is slightly more revealing, but I would venture into analog if detail and multi layering is what you desire.

On a budget, Bottlehead Crack is a great amp, as well as Valhalla 2. Either could be end game on a budget with the right tubes. I would also recommend the Geek Out v2 as an extremely capable DAC/amp combo.

Have fun, the 650's are great headphones. I also found they were improved with the dynamat mods.

Pics man!

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #34,077 of 46,564
  So far mine sound pretty good with the alo pan am, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a woo wa7. Any idea if this combo would be good?

I had a WA7d a few years ago, its wasn't that great back then but I think they might have made some changes so it might be better.  For the price I think a BH Crack and 4490 is a much better sounding setup for the HD-650, I have the Bimby and Uber for DACs but I think the 4490 is the best of the 3.  The other amp I would consider is the Elise.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #34,079 of 46,564
  Ended up getting the HD 650 anyway, might just not sell my HE-400 and use it for more bass heavy music. 

Hope you enjoy your HD-650, I've kept my HE-400 and even if I don't use them much its always nice to listen to them every once in awhile when you want to feel the beat

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #34,080 of 46,564
  New to Head-Fi and i'm planning to build a system around Senn HD650. I chose this headphone based mainly on reading the several headphone impression threads as I do not have the pleasure of auditioning different brands/models of headphones in our area.

Project Polaris is already in order but have not decided yet on what DAC to get, but I'm leaning on either Bifrost or Bifrost Multibit.

Just curious. If building a system around HD650, what is your end game Amp and Dac.

Thanks.

Lots and lots of amps and DACs out there.  Just keep asking people what they think; everyone thinks theirs is the best so you'll get lots of answers.  I have a Bifrost Multibit and Asgard 2 (SS), and I'm pretty happy.   I love the Bifrost, and will migrate upward amp-wise before the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back