Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #33,331 of 46,499

Got the replacement, and it sounds amazing right out of the box--just like my other one.  I am happy now.  Too bad the storage box had some damage in one corner.  Unfortunately, I returned the muddy ones (and its perfect storage box) before I received the perfect replacement phones and its damaged storage box.  Oh well.

That was a fast turn around
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #33,332 of 46,499
Got the replacement, and it sounds amazing right out of the box--just like my other one.  I am happy now.  Too bad the storage box had some damage in one corner.  Unfortunately, I returned the muddy ones (and its perfect storage box) before I received the perfect replacement phones and its damaged storage box.  Oh well.

Remember, you will never listen to that box.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #33,333 of 46,499
Hello again guys,

Gotta ask the same question again but in shorter form this time. I own HD 800. Anyone here the current or previous owner of both the HD 800 and HD 650? Trying to figure out if there's any benefit to owning a pair of 650's since I already own 800's. Use: Primarily blu-ray home theater and console gaming as well as regular TV. HD 800's are outrageously great for this usage. Massive sound stage and detail (and I own the AVR that can drive these cans with great quality). Have read that 650's have a "higher" sound stage? Also deeper sub bass than the 800's? Anyone see a benefit to owning a 650 or is it "Dude, you own 800's, be happy"...

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #33,334 of 46,499
650's soundstage is far less involving and spacious as the 800's. The 800's also have the ability to have more impactful bass, but this is amp dependent (IMO). The 650's are lacking sub bass, however, do have decent bass when driven properly.

Where the 650's shine is their midrange, and non-fatiguing sound signature. The 650's also have the ability to present micro details at a very resolving level. The 800's tend to carry a lot more treble energy in their presentation, and far less midrange warmth than the 650's. (At least stock 800's).

The 650's are ultimately much more enjoyable for myself, simply because of the midrange presentation, resolution, and ability to enjoy music for as long as I want without hurting my ears. Can't do that with the 800's because of their treble.

The 800's are also extremely resolving of gear, but extremely picky. You will hear any bottlenecks in your system, and any/all flaws in recordings. Bad recordings sound bad.

The 650's will merely sound a bit "boring" or laid back with crappy gear. As you upgrade, the 650's get better and better and better unlike almost any headphone.

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #33,335 of 46,499
  Hello again guys,

Gotta ask the same question again but in shorter form this time. I own HD 800. Anyone here the current or previous owner of both the HD 800 and HD 650? Trying to figure out if there's any benefit to owning a pair of 650's since I already own 800's. Use: Primarily blu-ray home theater and console gaming as well as regular TV. HD 800's are outrageously great for this usage. Massive sound stage and detail (and I own the AVR that can drive these cans with great quality). Have read that 650's have a "higher" sound stage? Also deeper sub bass than the 800's? Anyone see a benefit to owning a 650 or is it "Dude, you own 800's, be happy"...

I have the hd650 (five years now) and just recently picked up the 800 S. There can offer a VERY different experience and I consider them complementary. I have no problem owning both and use them for different types of listening. 

650:

*great for any kind of music including lesser quality recordings

*enjoyable mid bass bump

*very smooth non-fatiguing treble

*amazing liquid mids

800/800S:

*excels with my better recordings, stunning with hi-res material

*amazing width and depth of sound stage

*possibly the best imaging of any headphone in the game...speaker like 

The 800 C became a bit too much of an occasional headphone for me, so I sold it. The 800 S gets as much use as the 650, which makes me happy. ymmv

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #33,337 of 46,499
  @MattTCG:

I'm thinkin about ordering a Questyle CMA800R, how do you deal with them in mono in terms of volume? :D 

Well, there are a few ways. Maybe the best solution is to use the NAD m51 as a dac (what I did). The NAD has IMO, the best volume control implementation that I've ever used, flawless. You can read the many reviews and they will all say the same thing about the NAD and it's perfect volume control. So with the NAD just turn your power amps to 100% and use the remote from the dac to control your volume. 

Maybe the next best solution is to use a preamp for volume control. I recently picked up the mjo2 (just a few days ago) and I'm trying it in the chain to see how I like the "coloration" of the mjo2 and it's ability as preamp/volume control. It will take me a week or so to really test it. 

Finally, I have also used a Gumby with the dual Questyle amps and made adjustments by hand to both potentiometers. This method of adjustment can be a little clumsy but I was able to get pretty accurate after a few days. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #33,338 of 46,499
  Hello again guys,

Not really, use an EQ if you want deeper sub bass.

The soundstage of the HD 650 is one of it's weakest points, it's comparable to IEM's in terms of width. There is really no upgrade in soundstage when going to the HD 650.

But sometimes they are on sale and you can get them cheaply. So there is no harm in grabbing them. Got a brand new HD 650 for $320 myself which wasn't bad I guess :p

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #33,339 of 46,499
Well, turns out the replacement phone's mids and treble are a bit more forward than I like, so I am having to EQ everything 1khz and and higher by -2.5dB to make it sound closer to the perfect HD 650 I already own. At least it is correctable with EQ, even though I would prefer not to use EQ. I did not have to EQ my perfect HD 650. So, as the Senn tech told me, there is indeed SQ variation for each HD 650. The three units I had ranged from muddy/undefined bass, perfect (no EQ needed), and too bright (EQ required to make mids and treble less aggressive).

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #33,340 of 46,499
Well, turns out the replacement phone's mids and treble are a bit more forward than I like, so I am having to EQ everything 1khz and and higher by -2.5dB to make it sound closer to the perfect HD 650 I already own. At least it is correctable with EQ, even though I would prefer not to use EQ. I did not have to EQ my perfect HD 650. So, as the Senn tech told me, there is indeed SQ variation for each HD 650. The three units I had ranged from muddy/undefined bass, perfect (no EQ needed), and too bright (EQ required to make mids and treble less aggressive).

Maybe pad wear/compression is effecting the sound of these 650's that you mention? 

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #33,341 of 46,499
They are all brand new phones. I did play around with the way they are positioned on my head and ears, but each unit's overall sonic characteristics remain the same. Although I don'tbelieve in burning-in headphones, I will try to see if burning-in the replacement phones (bright one) will tame the mids and highs.

Mar 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #33,342 of 46,499
The soundstage of the HD 650 is one of it's weakest points, it's comparable to IEM's in terms of width. There is really no upgrade in soundstage when going to the HD 650.

But sometimes they are on sale and you can get them cheaply. So there is no harm in grabbing them. Got a brand new HD 650 for $320 myself which wasn't bad I guess :p

Nice price!
IMO the soundstage of the 650's can be improved with the coin mod. I may try the dynamat mods as well to improve bass. If I do, I'll post impressions here.

David did you try the coin mod?

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #33,343 of 46,499
Nice price!
IMO the soundstage of the 650's can be improved with the coin mod. I may try the dynamat mods as well to improve bass. If I do, I'll post impressions here.

I doubt that mods can do much on that... Drivers distance is very near our ears when listening, earpads space is not as huge as some other headphones , mids are very full and highs are not that airy. All these things mean that soundstage cant be good.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #33,344 of 46,499
The 650's will merely sound a bit "boring" or laid back with crappy gear. As you upgrade, the 650's get better and better and better unlike almost any headphone.

Agreed.

The 650's sound exceptional with my gear and setup.  No complaints.

Mike

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #33,345 of 46,499
Nice price!

Haven't gotten my new ear pads yet, they are still in transit (things take a long time to get to Hawaii)
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back