Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #33,316 of 46,499
That is very interesting that one sounded so much different than the other. Maybe one was defective? If you get your new one, I'd try and test their frequency response if you can find someone with the equipment.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #33,317 of 46,499
Was the new HD650 the muddy one? Because my new HD650 definately sounded muddy in the bass when I got them but after burning in for at least 48 hours the sound improved and was no longer muddy. Nvm you bought them both new.

I agree with your comments as my 650's were rather dull sounding, almost boring straight out of the box so I decided to burn them in on continuous play for a week. Opened them up, nice tight bass and very satisfying treble and splendid mids. Further use (I've had them for just over a year now) and they continue to blossom.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #33,318 of 46,499
I found mine also changed in the first 100 hours. I attributed it to pad wear mostly... I'd have tried swapping pads and checked how they sounded.
Sennheiser has extremely good quality control between components. The 650 drivers are sold in matched pairs, so it's possible the FR was different... Maybe not like "Aww, these see!" though.
The 800's have FR graphs from the factory that can be downloaded by serial number. There are threads with owners posting their graphs... Neurotic audiophile behaviour.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #33,322 of 46,499
  I must be the odd one here, my HD-650 didn't change from day one, they were great from the very first time I put them on.

One of the two pairs I bought sounded fantastic right out of the box.  To be honest, the "muddier" one was pretty good, too.  If I did not have the other one to compare it with, I probably would have never known that one pair was indeed muddier. 

FWIW, I offered the Senn tech to "burn in" the muddy phones to see if it will improve.  The Senn tech said "our tests and measurements show that burn in has no effect on the sound quality".   He told me that listening to the phones over time may have a psycho-acoustic effect, where the user gets accustomed to the phones' sound, and the brain adapts to the sound signature.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #33,325 of 46,499
Anyone heard the Meier Corda classic FF with HD650? 

I am sure Jan Meier did. I have the Jazz FF and can say that the HD 650 sound superb driven by it. The veil gets lifted without any harshness added. Simply put it is a grat combo.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #33,326 of 46,499
I am sure Jan Meier did. I have the Jazz FF and can say that the HD 650 sound superb driven by it. The veil gets lifted without any harshness added. Simply put it is a grat combo.

How is the speed & transients? I know HD650 is not the fastest cans, is it possible to make them faster with amp?

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #33,327 of 46,499
  How is the speed & transients? I know HD650 is not the fastest cans, is it possible to make them faster with amp?

I wouldn't get your hopes up too high, its the nature of the headphone...

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #33,329 of 46,499
Mar 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #33,330 of 46,499
Just bought two brand new HD 650s--one for the house and another for the office. Sadly, one sounded muddier and the treble more subdued. The other HD 650, however, is heavenly. I spoke with Senn tech support, and I was told there will be variations between individual units. Anyway, I am returning the muddier one, and will receive the replacement tomorrow. Hopefully the replacement will sound as great as my other 650.

Got the replacement, and it sounds amazing right out of the box--just like my other one.  I am happy now.  Too bad the storage box had some damage in one corner.  Unfortunately, I returned the muddy ones (and its perfect storage box) before I received the perfect replacement phones and its damaged storage box.  Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back