Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #32,296 of 46,554
  I always wonder if I should get a hd800(or the S now) and EQ it. I already EQ the hd650 and my favorite sound is somewhere in between those 2 signatures. I find both comfy and light enough so that's like 80% of what matters to me. but then if it's to still end up with the signature I enjoy with EQ, is the price difference something I can justify? I have a hard time saying yes. I've been leaning toward one direction then the other for the better of the last 2 years. the main difference is that I could use the hd650 without EQ. but I can't stand the hd800 as is. but no doubt the hd800 is an amazing headphone when it comes to signal fidelity out of a dynamic driver, it's really there at the top.

The HD 800 is definitely a better headphone but honestly sound quite different even when modded/EQ'd to sound more like the HD 650. A cheaper option may be to grab a pair of Nighthawks or something else with a better driver and distortion specs than the HD 650 and EQ them.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #32,297 of 46,554
  I also agree i do not recommend the hd700, they felt so flimsy and i personally didnt like the sound of the HD800 because it was so sharp that it felt painful to me.

my biggest gripe with the hd700 was how the adjustment didn't lock tightly like the 650hd and if you shook it even a little it would get all loose, and idk what iwas about the hd700, but i just could not get them to feel comfortable, it just felt like something was off no matter how tight or loose i wore them. Z pretty much points out everything i didnt like about the hd700, i tried em out myself before i saw his review so when he was saying all those things its like he was reading my mind.

Might have had a defective one, mine are really sturdy, any adjustment stays, takes a little effort to move. 

For the HD-700/800 I've found that the DAC/AMP that I use makes a bigger difference in my enjoyment of then than the HD-650, also quality of recordings is a must for HD-700/800, bad or sub standard recordings actually sound worse on them while the HD-650 is very forgiving of bad/subpar stuff.

And I agree with @cuiter23, they are somewhat of an acquired taste, like Grado's which most of my friends have a love/hate relationship, not much middle ground with them.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #32,298 of 46,554
  I also agree i do not recommend the hd700, they felt so flimsy and i personally didnt like the sound of the HD800 because it was so sharp that it felt painful to me.

my biggest gripe with the hd700 was how the adjustment didn't lock tightly like the 650hd and if you shook it even a little it would get all loose, and idk what iwas about the hd700, but i just could not get them to feel comfortable, it just felt like something was off no matter how tight or loose i wore them. Z pretty much points out everything i didnt like about the hd700, i tried em out myself before i saw his review so when he was saying all those things its like he was reading my mind.

Where did you handle them? Were they a store or show demo pair that had been adjusted and re-adjusted about a million times?

Jan 30, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #32,299 of 46,554
For someone with a Titanium-HD sound card and HD650 headphones.
What would be some recommended headphones amplifiers, for connecting to the RCA line-outputs on the Titanium-HD, for driving the HD650, in the $300-$500 range?

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #32,307 of 46,554
I always wonder if I should get a hd800(or the S now) and EQ it. I already EQ the hd650 and my favorite sound is somewhere in between those 2 signatures. I find both comfy and light enough so that's like 80% of what matters to me. but then if it's to still end up with the signature I enjoy with EQ, is the price difference something I can justify? I have a hard time saying yes. I've been leaning toward one direction then the other for the better of the last 2 years. the main difference is that I could use the hd650 without EQ. but I can't stand the hd800 as is. but no doubt the hd800 is an amazing headphone when it comes to signal fidelity out of a dynamic driver, it's really there at the top.

I was wondering the same ever since I joined HeadFi. But a few weeks ago I got the chance to get a 2 year old used one with 1 year dealer warranty from a local shop for 750€ and must say I should have done that long ago. But you with your critical mindset, I don't know.....

Jan 30, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #32,308 of 46,554
For someone with a Titanium-HD sound card and HD650 headphones.
What would be some recommended headphones amplifiers, for connecting to the RCA line-outputs on the Titanium-HD, for driving the HD650, in the $300-$500 range?

I suggest a Meier Audio Corda Jazz ff. Have it, love it and find that it pairs exceptionally with the HD650. Kind of lifts the details that are under the Vail as some people say. But the signature remains intact and relaxed.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #32,309 of 46,554

If you have a good DAC and amplifier, big chance you won't even use the HD 650 anymore if you get the HD 800 S. Atleast mine is gathering dust, even on bad recordings the HD 800 S sounds better.

But also check out the Hifiman edition X. According to my ears, it's an excellent upgrade over the HD 650. Too bad Fang won't lower the price though :p

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #32,310 of 46,554

I personally never EQ, but I'm certainly not one of those people who are against the idea. I just never find a need to and/or I am too lazy.

That said, I always think that EQing is great for tweaking something you already like to be near perfect (so improving on positives), or to make your only available piece of crap headphones sound tolerable because you're stranded on a remote island and EQing is the only thing you have available (so making the negatives tolerable). However, to EQ a headphone that you just don't really like to something tolerable, even though you have plenty of other options available that you already like without EQing... I personally wouldn't buy that headphone. And that's even disregarding the price difference.

Just my two cents.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back