Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #32,266 of 46,514
Thanks for the suggestions. Was actually thinking of Oppo PM3.
Hope I dont get zap by 650 lovers here..ha ha

You could get yourself a used HD800 and call it a day!

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #32,267 of 46,514
is this normal? the right side of my HD650 doesnt adjust up as high as the left side....the right side stops much lower...here in this pic i have them both pulled up as far as they go and the right side is significantly smaller...is this a defect or another one of those pointless german mechanics that have zero practicality but everyone praises cus BMW vanity > honda ? jk lol

but srs, is this normal?

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #32,268 of 46,514
blink.gif
 Odd, I can't comment on any but my own pair of HD650's, but mine do not do that.
Both sides seemed to be equal when I adjusted them up and down.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #32,269 of 46,514
is this normal? the right side of my HD650 doesnt adjust up as high as the left side....the right side stops much lower...here in this pic i have them both pulled up as far as they go and the right side is significantly smaller...is this a defect or another one of those pointless german mechanics that have zero practicality but everyone praises cus BMW vanity > honda ? jk lol

but srs, is this normal?

No, this is not normal, my HD 650 does not have this defect. And if you inspect the headphone a little more carefully, you might find out that they are made in IRELAND, not in Germany.

Jan 28, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #32,270 of 46,514
No, this is not normal, my HD 650 does not have this defect. And if you inspect the headphone a little more carefully, you might find out that they are made in IRELAND, not in Germany.

well obviously i was referring to them being designed in germany... You may also be shocked to know that most BMWs in the US are made in south carolina...

shoot what should i do?

i mean i can adjust them evenly, i wear them both on the 7th click from the bottom on each side and they are even and nice and comfortable...

but after the 8th click the right side stops and the left side goes up to 12 clicks before it stops...

is that ok? or do i need to RMA them? i mean they fit me comfy and any bigger would be too loose...

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #32,273 of 46,514
  well obviously i was referring to them being designed in germany... You may also be shocked to know that most BMWs in the US are made in south carolina...

shoot what should i do?

i mean i can adjust them evenly, i wear them both on the 7th click from the bottom on each side and they are even and nice and comfortable...

but after the 8th click the right side stops and the left side goes up to 12 clicks before it stops...

is that ok? or do i need to RMA them? i mean they fit me comfy and any bigger would be too loose...

if it makes you feel any better, my right side also stops a few clicks lower than the left side....maybe this is how the newer ones are made? 

Or is this going to be the fidelio x2 all over again?

Jan 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #32,274 of 46,514
Alright my 650 bros, i just had a huge sigh of relief.

I have mental illness and i a huge nervous breakdown/crying session thinking about how god screwed me over in this life and how badly i wanted a girlfriend and didnt get one and how even these headphones turned out to be a lemon, and i got super mad and gave my right side a strong yank out of frustrating, and apparently there were these stickers stuck in there keeping it from going up more

so now i am happy to say that they go up all the way and im glad they are not defective...i got frustrated also cus i called sennhesier before this and a girl picked up and was like "ehh...call amazon!" and im like "dont u guys have 2 year warranty??" and shes like "no, im  a hot girl and we are a hive mind here to make u suffer, we wont help you - try amazon :p" and then hung up...or maybe it was i who hung up, or maybe i screamed - i can't remember its a bit fuzzy. 

but im glad my 650s arent defective, they are one of the few things i have in lief keeping me together. (lol jk about going crazy)

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #32,276 of 46,514
wow, i didn't even know that i had stickers up there,  i never even adjuste my headphones up that high anyways... i guess that really goes to show how sennhesier really is the king of quality and headphones - i've never had headphones that put stickers up there, but its nice to see sennheiser care about the details.

and dont let the girl disappoint you, i have had a couple frustrating experiences with sennhesier sales people before, but i remind myself they are not the true genius behind sennhesier, most of them are just call center people/random girls with nice voices hired, and i can tell you from experience - nice voice DOES NOT = nice body.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #32,277 of 46,514

Yes, width. Also for me, everything that my floor system does very well: depth (the trumpets and oboes MUST be well behind the cellos and violins) and separation. 650 does very well with smaller-scale chamber (as I said), but when multiple groups of instruments are then added and play together, the 650 loses it. I hear everything, but in an almost homogeneous flattened image. Weird. I didn't get that with T1 (used to own T1), LCD-2.2, and now, my HE560 does it soooo well. The PS500 also does classical better. Not knockin' the 650, for everything else, it's great. Just not large-scale symphonies like Schubert's 9th or anything dynamic written by Ludwig.
cheers

Alright, I guess maybe I'm not so critical with classical music (yet?). I thought the width on the HD650 was pretty cool, and I was seriously impressed with how well the HD650 was doing on a more "emotional impact"-level (apologies if that's not very accurate). Like getting punched in the chest with awesome music.

Haven't tried Schubert's 9th specifically, but I will definitely give it a whirl on the HD650. And then compare and contrast with the T1 as soon as I have the opportunity again of course.

beyersmile.png

Any specific smaller-scale chamber music you would recommend to listen on the HD650 to?

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #32,278 of 46,514

Any specific smaller-scale chamber music you would recommend to listen on the HD650 to?

Get over to this thread, not here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626563/best-classical-recordings-ever/7485#post_12292449

(Everything and anything....for chamber. Beethoven's Horn septet/sextet, Mozart's wind concertos, Haydn's String Quartets).

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #32,280 of 46,514
Will do. Apologies for not following forum etiquette.

No need to apologize. You asked a perfectly valid question pertinent to the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back