Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #29,491 of 46,527
  Is the HD650 a better sounding headphone than the HD600, or is it different taste for different folks?

Both are great headphones. When I recently had both of them in the house, I realized that I could live with each of them but I prefer my 650 by quite a bit.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #29,492 of 46,527
I have been having thoughts about maybe grabbing a pair of HD700 when i find then in the B/S/T forum for a sweet deal.

The HD600 has also crossed my mind, but i have heard it and other than the top end , I found them more similar than different.

I liked the HD650, because i wanted a darker can for a compliment to my other cans.

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #29,493 of 46,527
  I have been having thoughts about maybe grabbing a pair of HD700 when i find then in the B/S/T forum for a sweet deal.

The HD600 has also crossed my mind, but i have heard it and other than the top end , I found them more similar than different.

I liked the HD650, because i wanted a darker can for a compliment to my other cans.

The hd700, for me, is an epic fail. The right cans to complement the hd650 or the hd800...ymmv. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #29,494 of 46,527
Great complement to HD650: the HE560. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #29,495 of 46,527

The hd700, for me, is an epic fail. The right cans to complement the hd650 or the hd800...ymmv. 

Interesting....I understand they are that you either love them or hate them type can....not sure what I will do.

Maybe i will just grab a classic RS1 and be done....I tried my Grado 225i on my OTL from glenn, and they are surprisingly good....should be ever better with the 6336 tube.

Guess I am on the fence what to do...but the HD650 & HD800 are going nowhere 
smile.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #29,496 of 46,527
^^ Sorry, I forgot that you had the hd800 already. 
redface.gif
  I've been pondering adding something to my collection to complement the 650 and other hp's that I already have. What I really need above anything else is a good closed option. So just this weekend I picked up the pm-3. Hopefully that will make a good choice. 

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #29,499 of 46,527
Great complement to HD650: the HE560.  :beerchug:

I had the HE560 for about a month. To me it's a lot closer to the sound of the HD800 with a prominent, detailed treble and very tight bass that has extension but not much weight. The real deal breaker for me was comfort. I found it almost painful after a short amount of time. Sennheiser really has the comfort issue solved, at least for my head shape (maybe because I'm mostly German).

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #29,500 of 46,527
I had the HE560 for about a month. To me it's a lot closer to the sound of the HD800 with a prominent, detailed treble and very tight bass that has extension but not much weight. The real deal breaker for me was comfort. I found it almost painful after a short amount of time. Sennheiser really has the comfort issue solved, at least for my head shape.

Can't say that I agree about the comfort on the he560. Not for me at least. The weight, fit and overall comfort was excellent but the hd650 did beat it if only by a small amount. 

What was the problem for you, clamp?

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #29,501 of 46,527
Can't say that I agree about the comfort on the he560. Not for me at least. The weight, fit and overall comfort was excellent but the hd650 did beat it if only by a small amount. 

What was the problem for you, clamp?

Not clamp. I don't have an extremely large head but it seems like the distance from the top of my head to my ears is more than most. Many phones don't have quite enough vertical adjustment and I run out just before it gets to what would be perfect. I had to pull down on the 560's really hard to get them centered on my ears. Sennheiser has the most vertcal range as I'm quite a way from maxing it out.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #29,502 of 46,527
Interesting....I understand they are that you either love them or hate them type can....not sure what I will do.

Maybe i will just grab a classic RS1 and be done....I tried my Grado 225i on my OTL from glenn, and they are surprisingly good....should be ever better with the 6336 tube.

Guess I am on the fence what to do...but the HD650 & HD800 are going nowhere :smile:  

I have liked the HD700 a lot at certain times but wouldn't recommend it as part of a stable of phones. It has a unique tonal balance that takes time to adjust to. Once you get used to it, it can be quite addicting and make other phones sound off. After a couple months focused soley on the 650's and Nighthawks, my hearing has been recalibrated and the 700's sound really weird now and I can see why a lot of people hate them.

I think the Nighthawk is a good compliment. It's been fascinating mixing them up.

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #29,503 of 46,527
I have liked the HD700 a lot at certain times but wouldn't recommend it as part of a stable of phones. It has a unique tonal balance that takes time to adjust to. Once you get used to it, it can be quite addicting and make other phones sound off. After a couple months focused soley on the 650's and Nighthawks, my hearing has been recalibrated and the 700's sound really weird now and I can see why a lot of people hate them.

I think the Nighthawk is a good compliment. It's been fascinating mixing them up.

And how do you compare the Nighthawk to the hd650?

Oct 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #29,504 of 46,527
I had the HE560 for about a month. To me it's a lot closer to the sound of the HD800 with a prominent, detailed treble and very tight bass that has extension but not much weight. The real deal breaker for me was comfort. I found it almost painful after a short amount of time. Sennheiser really has the comfort issue solved, at least for my head shape (maybe because I'm mostly German).

Interesting.

for me, an HP that is "complementary" is one that has a markedly different sound profile, not the same, as another HP (e.g. 650). I find the clarity, imaging, tight bass, speed, and treble texture (among other traits) of my 560 to be distinct from the 650 (which is stlll a great HP for my music).

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #29,505 of 46,527
Interesting.

for me, an HP that is "complementary" is one that has a markedly different sound profile, not the same, as another HP (e.g. 650). I find the clarity, imaging, tight bass, speed, and treble texture (among other traits) of my 560 to be distinct from the 650 (which is stlll a great HP for my music).

I agree but the guy who asked the question already has an HD800 so I was saying it's similar to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back