Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 3, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #27,661 of 46,554
  Its emotional more than technical, my hd800/T1/LCD-2 all sounded better from a technical perspective, but frankly its more of a feeling that i got from the HD650 than anything else.
Put it this way, i've really liked a lot of headphones, but i've always missed the HD650's when listening to the higher tier cans, the only pair that didn't make me feel that way were my LCD-2's, and i needed to sell them because i was in a bit of financial trouble, so i've repurchased the HD650.

Sorry for not being very descriptive in this, by the way

+1 I can't explain it in technical aspects/terms either but I've owned the T1 (twice), LCD-2 & HD800 (thrice).  I still own the 3rd pair of HD800 but I prefer the HD650 to the T1 & LCD-2 (the latter I did not like at all.)  There are IMO many variables that may explain this.  The quality of  :  source, recording/production, the way you hear, sound preference e.g. bass, treble, etc., the amp one uses e.g. tube, SS, balanced, SE, lower or higher quality, etc.  

Overall since I've been in this hobby for approx. 6 yrs now, I prefer the Senns HD6xx siblings & the HD800 over the many other HPs I've owned ... so far.  Using the same equipment at different times I'll prefer one over the other depending on the music/recordings & probably my overall mood at that moment.  That's the best way I can explain it also since I'm not technically savvy or I should say I am technically deficient and although I've tried understanding (& aprreciate) the technical aspects, measurement, charts, etc. posted by different members, I can't for the love of me understand any of that stuff.
confused_face_2.gif
 So I rely on what I hear. 
L3000.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #27,662 of 46,554
Put simply, 650 is probably the most forgiving, high-resolution HP I've encountered, without being clinical/analytical. It reveals just enough, not too much, like a skillful burlesque dancer. That makes it one of the most musical and valued HPs, in my book. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #27,663 of 46,554
^ exactly how I feel with all the technical stuff
Bought and sold HD650 more than any other phone, plan on keeping my current pair
Just something about HD650 that draws you in

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #27,664 of 46,554
I've also sol and re purchased the HD650 many times. It has the best mids out of all headphones and that can only be mayve disputed by the LCD-2.

The only reason I may not buy them again is because the sub bass is pretty non existent. I'm probably going to get the LCD-2 again and just remember how fsntastic this headphone is.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #27,665 of 46,554
@Cakensaur
 that's interesting you chose the HD 650 after the latest and greatest. I find if to be superior than about 90% of all headphones out there - but IMO, those other 10%-ish beat the HD 650 hands down, namely HE-6, Stax SR 09 (& maybe 07), MDR R10, some of the Audeze's, and maybe AKG K712. Do you have any experience comparing to those? That would be neat to hear about it.

Its emotional more than technical, my hd800/T1/LCD-2 all sounded better from a technical perspective, but frankly its more of a feeling that i got from the HD650 than anything else.
Put it this way, i've really liked a lot of headphones, but i've always missed the HD650's when listening to the higher tier cans, the only pair that didn't make me feel that way were my LCD-2's, and i needed to sell them because i was in a bit of financial trouble, so i've repurchased the HD650.

Sorry for not being very descriptive in this, by the way

This shows how scalable these things are, i'm sometimes suprised too.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #27,666 of 46,554
I've also sol and re purchased the HD650 many times. It has the best mids out of all headphones and that can only be mayve disputed by the LCD-2.

The only reason I may not buy them again is because the sub bass is pretty non existent. I'm probably going to get the LCD-2 again and just remember how fsntastic this headphone is.

The bass depends on the setup, and it gets a noticable increase with tubes.
I once feelt that the subass was almost nonexistent, but now i feel its a bit more present.
But the mids are something that certainly amazed me, they are very envolving.
Head-fiers where right, these scale quite a bit with tubes, especially on the mids.
Even though the subass is not that present, i always get distracted
by the mids and uper mids.
Fantastic. 10 top level performance.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #27,667 of 46,554
The subs are better on average than most open. The mids beat almost all closed. So I have the Shure SRH1540, when I want more low extension and highs (still having better than average mids for a closed dynamic). Each different as they compliment each other.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #27,668 of 46,554
Hello everyone.  I have been listening to My HD650's now for about a week.  I did not want to make any hasty judgements.  I am coming from a pair of Grado RS1i phones.  I love the Grado sound.  I love how I feel so close to the music, and can hear so much texture detail and other small nuances.  But, I also like to listen at a rather loud level, and the Grado phones have definitely damaged my hearing over a year of listening.  

At first, I HATED the HD650's.  They were of course dark and laid back in comparision, but it was the muddiness in the lower midrange that had me worried.  It was AWFUL.  Muddy, slow, just plain BAD.  If you don't believe in Break-in, then I don't know what to tell you, other than after putting about 75 hours on them at this point, they sound like a totally different headphone.  I ran pink noise through them at night, and every morning I would notice the sound had improved.  

Now, yes, they still sound a bit distant and laid back, but, they have PLENTY of treble energy.  Not super 'airy', but more than enough to satisfy.  The mids are excellent, and that lower midrange muddiness is almost totally gone.  Things are much, much clearer now.  

Now, they still aren't the most snappy and dynamic of  headphones.  They don't have the powerful transient 'snap' of the Grados, but they also can be played at high volumes with no fatigue whatsoever, and that is a HUGE deal to me.  I am expecting them to continue to get better as they break-in, as well.  After literally hating them at first, they now are a pleasant listen.

Also, I use a tube amp with them.  At first it was much harder to tube roll, as they are more forgiving than the Grados, and somewhat hide the small differences in tubes.  But as I have listened and become more familiar with the sound signature, I must say the right tubes are a NECESSITY if you are using these with a tube amp.  Tubes that sounded like world beaters with my Grados can be a muddy mess with these.  So far, the tubes that match the HD650's the absolute best are Tung Sol, especially the early 1950's Tung-Sol 12AX7 long gray plate.  

That is all for now...

Andrew

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #27,669 of 46,554
Thanks for the thoughts Andrew. I can't imagine how tough it must have been going from being a big Grado lover to the 650's... Also cool recommendation on the TS tubes. I personally find most TS tubes to have a nice overall balance of euphonics and clarity. I use the 6AS7GT quite often in my Zana Deux with the 650's as well, and I'm particularly happy with the bass and lower midrange response.

Just wondering if you'd heard the 700's? Seems a lot of Grado fans enjoy their signature.

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #27,670 of 46,554
Thanks for the thoughts Andrew. I can't imagine how tough it must have been going from being a big Grado lover to the 650's... Also cool recommendation on the TS tubes. I personally find most TS tubes to have a nice overall balance of euphonics and clarity. I use the 6AS7GT quite often in my Zana Deux with the 650's as well, and I'm particularly happy with the bass and lower midrange response.

Just wondering if you'd heard the 700's? Seems a lot of Grado fans enjoy their signature.

I have often wondered about the 700's.  I have not heard them yet, but would like to at some point give them a whirl.  

But, I am liking how the HD650 sounds today.  They really are starting to give me a sound that I like.  Nice imaging, sweet mids, enough treble air.  They really, really do need break-in.  Of that I am convinced.  And good amplification.  If you give them time, and amp them well, they certainly do sound very nice.  Worth their price, indeed.  

They are keepers, for sure. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #27,672 of 46,554

I have often wondered about the 700's.  I have not heard them yet, but would like to at some point give them a whirl.  

But, I am liking how the HD650 sounds today.  They really are starting to give me a sound that I like.  Nice imaging, sweet mids, enough treble air.  They really, really do need break-in.  Of that I am convinced.  And good amplification.  If you give them time, and amp them well, they certainly do sound very nice.  Worth their price, indeed.  

Having the HD-650, HD-700, RS2e, SR-225e and built 3 SennGrado's the HD-650 is the easiest to listen to for long periods and will be good/great with pretty much any genre of music that I listen to but when I want a little more excitement then the HD-700, RS2e and SennGrado's provide a nice alternative. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #27,673 of 46,554

I totally agree but many don't. Of all the headphones I've owned these exhibited by far the biggest improvement as the hours piled on.

I also agree about amping them properly, preferably with a valve amp.

Enjoy.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #27,674 of 46,554
I've owned the HD650 close to 10 times in my lifetime. Not one pair has changed in sound. I've also had 4 pairs at once new and old..all sound the same. It's all in our heads. Brain burn in is 100% real and takes time..especally if we are used to certain sound signatures.

Aug 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #27,675 of 46,554
I listen very carefully to different gear and headphones, and experienced a subtle change in my new 650's in the first 60 hours. They seemed to settle out, sounding slightly more treble oriented/detailed than my older pair with the same drivers.

I then experienced another shift from 80-150 hours, where they exceeded the presentation of the older pair I had by a noticeable margin. So I do believe in burn in myself, and think it's still open to the listener whether they hear changes or not. I also believe in brain burn in, and definitely physical burn in for dynamic drivers, capacitors, tubes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back