Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 21, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #25,382 of 46,514

Don't you have a neighbour or something? If you were in my town we could sort this in a jiffy but you've not disclosed your location.

I'm with @shawtuw on this one. Something's wrong. That amp should deafen you way before you reach even half-way on the pot.

Edit - I notice you've only posted this problem on this thread. Since the problem isn't with the headphones but the amp maybe you'll have more success posting in a Schiit thread.

micro Head-fi meet....

May 21, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #25,383 of 46,514

micro Head-fi meet....

wink_face.gif

May 21, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #25,387 of 46,514
LCD2.2 (pre-fazors) came in today. Man did I score a deal :)

Taking a brief listen and......very very nice. Have zero work to distract me the next few days - will leave them playing overnight to cook and then start the audition. Impressions vs the 650's in a few days.

On the world tour for the Fiio X5ii - should be at the door in a couple weeks - looking forward to how that sounds unamped with the 650's too. Has 40% more power than the original X5 and decent voltage swing, so I may be able to dispense with E12 amp for portable, around the house tunes!

May 22, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #25,388 of 46,514
LCD2.2 (pre-fazors) came in today. Man did I score a deal :)

Taking a brief listen and......very very nice. Have zero work to distract me the next few days - will leave them playing overnight to cook and then start the audition. Impressions vs the 650's in a few days.

On the world tour for the Fiio X5ii - should be at the door in a couple weeks - looking forward to how that sounds unamped with the 650's too. Has 40% more power than the original X5 and decent voltage swing, so I may be able to dispense with E12 amp for portable, around the house tunes!

Oh man looking forward to this....

I have the fazor lcd2s and would love to hear the pre fazor one day. Very interested in the X5ii as well.....

Cheers,
K

May 22, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #25,389 of 46,514
  When you find the perfect complementary amp for these cans:

edit: added the trash XD

I would love to do some dumpster diving in that trash can  
tongue.gif

May 22, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #25,390 of 46,514
Hello all,
I just ordered the HD650! So excited to get it :)
I was listening for over a hour and compared it with the HD600. I saw a lot of HD600 vs HD650 threads and I see most of them tend to like the HD600. And seriously? I just don't get it.
More than a hour of listening to the two of them and they sound 95% the same. I barely noticed any difference between the two.
Only cause I like warmth in the sound, and eventually I got the HD650 brand new for 270$, I went with the HD650 (The deal I got was so good, even cheaper than the HD600).
Next purchase will be the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade :)

May 22, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #25,392 of 46,514
  Hello all,
I just ordered the HD650! So excited to get it :)
I was listening for over a hour and compared it with the HD600. I saw a lot of HD600 vs HD650 threads and I see most of them tend to like the HD600. And seriously? I just don't get it.
More than a hour of listening to the two of them and they sound 95% the same. I barely noticed any difference between the two.
Only cause I like warmth in the sound, and eventually I got the HD650 brand new for 270$, I went with the HD650 (The deal I got was so good, even cheaper than the HD600).
Next purchase will be the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball upgrade :)

The differences between the two are smaller than you'd think. But I'd say it's even on where peoples's preferences reside. Good call on the amp. A friend of mine is building them regularly and does an amazing job if you are not looking to DIY.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-bottlehead-crack-with-speedball-upgrade-volume-mod-and-high-gloss-finish-2015-05-18-headphones-30189-woodstock-ga

May 22, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #25,393 of 46,514

The differences between the two are smaller than you'd think. But I'd say it's even on where peoples's preferences reside. Good call on the amp. A friend of mine is building them regularly and does an amazing job if you are not looking to DIY.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/amplifiers-bottlehead-crack-with-speedball-upgrade-volume-mod-and-high-gloss-finish-2015-05-18-headphones-30189-woodstock-ga

It could be perfect only if he would ship outside the states 
frown.gif

May 22, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #25,394 of 46,514
Oh man looking forward to this....

I have the fazor lcd2s and would love to hear the pre fazor one day. Very interested in the X5ii as well.....

Cheers,
K

Thanks Koolpep - one man's words and all that, but all info is good info and glad to share. Wish I had fazors available to compare the two, and I won't be the first to compare with the 650's, but hope it will help folks considering the same path to audionirvana :)

^^ good resource for those who doubt their soldering skills or just don't have the time or inclination. They do pop up for sale frequently too. Another source (with warranty) can be found in the Bottlehead forums as their semi-official third-party builder.

I'm pencilling in a Mainline build for the winter.... 

May 23, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #25,395 of 46,514

I know it sounds crazy. It's not that the headphones are portable, its just that I'm portable.  I'm looking for one answer for the HD600 at the office, HD650 at home and something closed/iem when I'm out. 

I really like the ipod classic, too, though there are a lot of haters. I let it go when it was discontinued, thinking that there were so many good options. I totally regret selling it. 

Thanks for the idea! I wish the SR71B had a dac, too. I've had the SR71A in the past...and really regret letting it go, too! 

Headfi is full of regrets of not letting good enough be good enough. 

If you like the iPod Classic...try the FiiO X3ii...better still, add the FiiO E12a.  That'll make the 650's sing.  Yes I know that the E12a is only rated to 150 ohm but switch the E12a to High Gain, switch on the Bass Boost and you'll be surprised how good the Senn's sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back