Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #22,548 of 46,569
  A out of topic question, what's the closest IEM soundsig-wise to the HD650?

Thanks!

One candidate would be IE8's, with the bass port set to minimum.  IE8's are, on the whole, a little more bassy than hd650's, but the overall presentation is pretty similar to my ears.  (Fit plays a big role in this though.)  That said, I'd recommend Westone 4's/4r's over IE8's.  They have less mid-bass, and less overall impact due to having ba drivers, but the overall sound is cleaner, clearer and a little more detailed, while still having smooth trebles.  Ergonomics and Westone's star tips are also way better than IE8's for me.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #22,549 of 46,569

One candidate would be IE8's, with the bass port set to minimum.  IE8's are, on the whole, a little more bassy than hd650's, but the overall presentation is pretty similar to my ears.  (Fit plays a big role in this though.)  That said, I'd recommend Westone 4's/4r's over IE8's.  They have less mid-bass, and less overall impact due to having ba drivers, but the overall sound is cleaner, clearer and a little more detailed, while still having smooth trebles.  Ergonomics and Westone's star tips are also way better than IE8's for me.

Thanks, the IE8 are looking great. I will look into the Westones too!

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #22,550 of 46,569
Female vocals are magnificent via the 650's.

Definitely. 80% of the tunes in my collection are female vocals and they really shine with some of the premium 6dj8 tubes + HD-650's... I really think these tubes bring out something in the top end of vocals with the 650's that is to die for. The 650's do such a super job of making vocals sound natural, I think maybe because they don't overly emphasize the higher end like other cans.

Here's an artist I really love... saw her live last weekend and she has a really great voice (her last album is online at the link)
http://www.avclub.com/article/stream-basia-bulats-new-album-emtall-tall-shadowem-103233
My fave track is City with No Rivers, love the juxtaposition between her voice and the drums. *shiver*

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #22,551 of 46,569

Female vocals are magnificent via the 650's.

Definitely. 80% of the tunes in my collection are female vocals and they really shine with some of the premium 6dj8 tubes + HD-650's... I really think these tubes bring out something in the top end of vocals with the 650's that is to die for. The 650's do such a super job of making vocals sound natural, I think maybe because they don't overly emphasize the higher end like other cans.

Well, I'm not trying to contradict both of you but I'm listening to the Album Double Fantasy & Yoko Ono's voice doesn't sound good on the HD650s at all 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #22,553 of 46,569
Out of all the IEMs , that I've owned before my can journey. I'd say the closest that I can recall , was the earsonics SM3. I've owned a lot of IEMs , including the custom EM3. At one point or another, I've owned most of the top tier universals, excluding any of the shure models. Hope that helps.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #22,554 of 46,569

Thanks!

I would disagree about the IE8/80. it's more of an exaggerated hd650. more bass, more mid veil, slightly too much of a treble spike to fool us into feeling resolution. now it is non fatiguing and the bass are very "tactile" for an IEM, it's easy to enjoy it when you like the hd650. so I'm not saying not to go for it. but they don't sound that much alike to me. the IE is strongly V shaped.

depending on how much you're looking for something warm and relaxed, or still want to keep details more up front(at the cost of maybe more fatigue), I would look for stuff like hifiman IE400, monster turbine copper for cool smooth sound. and maybe gr07 and se535 for a more balanced signature.
the 535 with some EQed bass and maybe a little something in the mids(or a source with a few ohms), and you get something that to my ears can be pretty close. I would EQ them all a little to get closer to the hd650( I EQ everything ^_^), but they are all already more than ok as is.
as long as you keep in mind that IEMs are crap compared to fullsize, and that you're trading sound for convenience, you should avoid disappointment.

stuff like W4/40 lack too much mids IMO, but then again if you're just looking for something laid back and non fatiguing, they certainly can be it.
none of the IEMs I mentioned are bad IEMs, you may also ask yourself if you need great isolation or not, or if you have trouble with certain shapes or size of tips to make your choice.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #22,555 of 46,569

Well, I'm not trying to contradict both of you but I'm listening to the Album Double Fantasy & Yoko Ono's voice doesn't sound good on the HD650s at all 
biggrin.gif

I'll just have to take your word for that.

Jan 30, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #22,557 of 46,569

biggrin.gif

All the silver wire and golden tubes in the world can only fix so much...

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #22,558 of 46,569
I do agree with the fact that if you can only afford one that you should get the HD650s. I have read reviews that said that they are a but "slow" to use for genres like rock, but I don't agree with that. They play really well with all the music I used them for, which includes heavy rock. So yeah the are a good solution for a single headphone solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back