Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #22,533 of 46,565

It sounds like this!

Note: this album is amazing. 

What I expected... slowed-down Doom Metal. Not bad, actually, for its genre.

I added the album to my Spotify "Albums for Review" playlist - thanks for the recco. I couldn't find it on TIDAL, which seems to be a recurring theme, and I'm about ready to drop TIDAL.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #22,534 of 46,565
The D600 has its bass region accented. Electronic music, pop, hiphop, edm, dubstep, house will sound balanced. Jazz and classical will sound a bit too romantic, bass will need to be turned down.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and the 650s are really good for top quality productions, but you miss a lot of the impact from the bass region. I still really like the 650s bass though. If it came down to only affording one, stick with 650s.

For sure! Appreciate the input

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #22,535 of 46,565
I once saw a post somewhere with a list of heavy metal sub-genres. There were hundreds. Here's a Wiki list but I'm sure there are more. Not in my opinion mind. I'm not really into defining music so precisely and most of what I listen to I wouldn't like to define. When people ask me what kind of music I prefer I just say "good music" and leave it at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

HOLY crap..

Jan 29, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #22,536 of 46,565
I actually don't mind some of that music either, it's just the categorisation that bugs me. Oomph were (are) part of the New German Hardness bandwagon and their music is almost always melodic toe-tapping kind of stuff. The album Monster is also recorded very well. Listen to it in a system with subs and be blown away. One of the real positives of this modern metal is that the bands have discovered the bass end of the sound. Try this...

There's also Megaherz. Again, their music is generally melodic, if slightly darker in both content and context. Great stuff though with, certainly on this track, a terrific chorus...

And there's also Eisbrecher. Their music is very much influenced by dance music sounds. Multiple keyboard layers and a pronounced drum backbeat being a defining characteristic...

In true heavy metal style a lot of the players in these bands have been members in each others bands too so sometimes you'll hear the same vocals or guitars. I don't know if they've fallen out or left because of 'musical differences' but it's been happening since Judas Priest & Iron Maiden. Why change a winning formula.

Here's one for the oldies (me). Aye, it's Lemmy...

And the strange thing is that they all have proper, grown-up production. Most of this stuff sounds excellent on the HD 650 and really dispel the veil myth in my opinion.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #22,540 of 46,565
There is a shop selling the hd650 with a massive discount. Should I buy it considering I have a HD800?

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #22,542 of 46,565
Sorry for this but... when you guys mentioned dubstep... I couldn't help but think of this video

http://youtu.be/5Kod1q39ddE

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #22,545 of 46,565
  Sorry for this but... when you guys mentioned dubstep... I couldn't help but think of this video

http://youtu.be/5Kod1q39ddE

That was pretty funny ... 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back