Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #22,501 of 46,536
I can attest that the AH-D600 has bass that is very good and will hit lower than the 650. Those music styles you listed are designed for subwoofers. To recreate that experience with a headphone it requires either a more bass centric design and/or equalization to get the perceived balance.

I used to have the D600 and if those were the only styles I listened to id go with the d600

That said I ended up keeping the 650 over the Denon's. I have another bass orientated headphone now, and it's more portable than the 600s. Overall the 650 is better than D600 for tonal accuracy. The D600 is quite good especially with those styles and is extremely comfortable unless you have a really small head. Try it out

Thanks! But is how much bass is there with the ahd600? Cause i just want the bass to be there but now overpower anything else you know?

I don't listen to the music styles you do but used to own HD650 and D600 at the same time and can attest that D600 have way more bass than HD650 that's why when D600 came out most people were complaining that they have too much bass. I wish it was quality bass but unfortunately it was overpowering instead so you better stick with HD650 and get a tubes amp to drive them

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #22,502 of 46,536
You think you sound like your dad? Everybody on here listens to dubstep and I don't even know what it is. And somebody mentioned "trap"?

Yeah, I saw the "trap" reference and no,  I have no idea what that is.
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #22,503 of 46,536

alright!!!

hi zorrofox... i listen to a lot of domestic japanese music, so it's hard for me to find a reference stick on other's music taste in correlation to their headphone because my music collection made me an odd duck. but i listen to Melody Gardot a lot. Well a lot in the past but still, i'm familiar with her music.

Quick question for you personally, have you listened or owned an hd600? Does hd650 evokes more emotion (and do more justice) to Melody Gardot for you personally?

well that and, will you categorize my magni 2 uber as a decent amp for the hd650?
i really dont think i can import bottlehead crack anytime soon as the 40% import charge is out of my reach..

I'm sorry but I haven't heard the HD 600. I don't think it's going to be as good as the 650 though, at least not for my musical tastes. Before buying my 650's I did a lot of research and everything I read pointed me in their direction. Unlike almost any purchase I've ever made I have never regretted the HD 650's. If I never hear a better headphone I'll be happy with what I have.

I've also never heard the Magni but I've read many people say it works great so I wouldn't worry about it.

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #22,505 of 46,536
I don't listen to the music styles you do but used to own HD650 and D600 at the same time and can attest that D600 have way more bass than HD650 that's why when D600 came out most people were complaining that they have too much bass. I wish it was quality bass but unfortunately it was overpowering instead so you better stick with HD650 and get a tubes amp to drive them

That is exactly the type of bass i was worried about and do not enjoy that overpowering bass. Definitely not my type of headphone then. Thank you ^_^

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #22,506 of 46,536
You guys don't know what trap is? It's like electronic aggressive dance music type of genre. As in like club/dance music.

That sounds like something I can happily cross off my list then. Not my cup of tea at all.

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #22,509 of 46,536
Hello All,

I just got my hands on a pair of HD 650s two days ago, Amazon UK has a great special at the moment, and I have to say it is great.
I didn't really know what to expect but they are amazing. The first thing that came to mind when I listened to them was realism.
They have an amazing sense of the music being in the room with you.
I see that a bit earlier in the thread somebody was talking about them being bass shy, and I really think that for audiophile grade headphones their bass is great.
They give great scale to the music, I think if there was more bass the balance of the sound will be off. Maybe the problem is how they are being driven, because they are notoriously difficult to drive.
Anyway that is just my two cents, I enjoy them hugely.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #22,510 of 46,536
Thanks! But is how much bass is there with the ahd600? Cause i just want the bass to be there but now overpower anything else you know?

The D600 has its bass region accented. Electronic music, pop, hiphop, edm, dubstep, house will sound balanced. Jazz and classical will sound a bit too romantic, bass will need to be turned down.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and the 650s are really good for top quality productions, but you miss a lot of the impact from the bass region. I still really like the 650s bass though. If it came down to only affording one, stick with 650s.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #22,511 of 46,536
Lmao im suprised you never knew what that is. Makes me wonder how many genres of music there is.

I once saw a post somewhere with a list of heavy metal sub-genres. There were hundreds. Here's a Wiki list but I'm sure there are more. Not in my opinion mind. I'm not really into defining music so precisely and most of what I listen to I wouldn't like to define. When people ask me what kind of music I prefer I just say "good music" and leave it at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #22,512 of 46,536
  Hello All,

I just got my hands on a pair of HD 650s two days ago, Amazon UK has a great special at the moment, and I have to say it is great.
I didn't really know what to expect but they are amazing. The first thing that came to mind when I listened to them was realism.
They have an amazing sense of the music being in the room with you.
I see that a bit earlier in the thread somebody was talking about them being bass shy, and I really think that for audiophile grade headphones their bass is great.
They give great scale to the music, I think if there was more bass the balance of the sound will be off. Maybe the problem is how they are being driven, because they are notoriously difficult to drive.
Anyway that is just my two cents, I enjoy them hugely.

Your 3rd post. Welcome to Head-Fi!

The 650's aren't actually that difficult to drive from a technical perspective but they have an eminently tweakable sound which can be tailored with different amps to suit different tastes. As regards bass I'm happy as long as I can differentiate the bass drum from the bass guitar. That's not as simple as it sounds for some headphones. Sometimes it's deep & low but has a bloom kinda effect. Not good.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #22,513 of 46,536
I defend subgenre naming because otherwise it's really, really hard to describe a sound. Like if I tell you that band X is, I dunno... like they have a lot of blast beats, but the songs use more major keys and it's got the same production as black metal but it's not as violent... that might sort of describe it. If I call it blackgaze then boom. We know.

Looking at the list I see a few missing ones like funeral doom, powerviolence, metallic hardcore (it's different than metalcore), brutal death metal, slam death metal, blackgaze, the various post- versions of other genres, all the hybrids you can think of.

I've never been a subscriber to the "it's just metal!" or "I just call it music I like" thing because, great, well, what if I want to hear some of it? What if you're in the mood for something and want to find a new band? Let's say I know you have good taste so I want a suggestion, but I'd like to point out the kind of mood I'm in. I want "good music" but I don't want you throwing a jam band at me when I'm in the mood for hard rock.

Over on the Ultimate Metal forums there are threads dedicated to the main umbrella genres, and it's a GODSEND. I'm like "man I haven't heard any good grindcore in a while" so I pop into that thread and BOOM. Suggestions for grind. I also use SputnikMusic for a LOT of suggestions. It's marvelous. Fire that site up and ding, go into the post-hardcore or the sludge metal page and there's a whole list of albums to take a look at. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #22,514 of 46,536
Aye, as soon as you mentioned blackgaze I was with you.
eek.gif

It's good to have a list of stuff I can safely avoid. I do like some New German Hardness now & again. Generally in the car, loud & fast.

Funeral Doom? Man, no thanks.

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #22,515 of 46,536
  Aye, as soon as you mentioned blackgaze I was with you.
eek.gif

It's good to have a list of stuff I can safely avoid. I do like some New German Hardness now & again. Generally in the car, loud & fast.

Funeral Doom? Man, no thanks.

Haha that's been my thing lately, more "artsy fartsy" metal. The HD650s really sing with that kinda stuff. 

It's also made me HAAAAAAATE a lot of modern death metal for the terrible over-compressed production with crappy plastic-sounding drum triggers. Ugh. 
mad.gif

Nice call on the New German Hardness, too. There's something about the stomp of that stuff that makes seriously irresponsible driving music LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back