Sennheiser HD650 cables
Aug 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 21
I'm in the process of ordering all the materials to build some cables (both to check if there is a difference and just so I can have some extra cables of different lengths, like a really long one to use in bed and a short one to travel with, etc.) and some interconnects. I really believe that buying aftermarket cables is truly a ripoff. Debate all you want about the sonic benefits of aftermarket cables, but the fact remains that all of the "audiophile quality" commercial cables sold use readily available connectors and wiring, and the markup is just immense. Even the Sennheiser headphone connectors are now available from Moon Audio (as linked to earlier in this thread), and those would absolutely be the hardest component to get.

For example, a Cardas cable is simply a combination of Canare Star Quad wire ($5.10 from markertek) + Cardas Sennheiser headphone connector ($15 from moon audio) + an Switchcraft Plug ($5.20 for the best Gold Switchcraft from markertek) + Techflex ($2.40 from Markertek)  = 27.70 + maybe max $20 shipping (huge overestimate) = 47.70 + soldering iron, solder, etc. = $67.70 for a 10ft Cardas cable at the absolute maximum. Retail price: $185 from headroom.

Even if you have ZERO DIY supplies, I still think you should make your own cable. The amount of soldering required is miniscule, and it's not really a hard skill to learn (you're essentially melting a compound over two connections that dries and makes them stick together, it's not THAT difficult).

Summary: Even if you do go about upgrading your audio cable, please don't throw away your money ordering a commercial cable when for about an hour of your time you could save at least 50%, most likely more, and use all that saved cash to buy some real equipment. I'm not a huge believer that DIY is much cheaper than commercial stuff when it comes to more complex equipment, like amplifiers, because the process is complicated, the parts are expensive when you don't order them in bulk, and it often ends up costing the same if not more than buying a nice amp (clearly the Beta22 is a different story), but when it comes to cables it absolutely saves a tremendous amount of money. And it's such a valuable skill -- you can DIY all your interconnects too so if you really believe in the virtues of better cabling you won't have to spend a fortune getting some Canare cabling throughout your setup.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 21
I really believe that buying aftermarket cables is truly a ripoff.

You sound like financially, you'd do real well in business.

Summary: Even if you do go about upgrading your audio cable, please don't throw away your money ordering a commercial cable when for about an hour of your time you could save at least 50%, most likely more,...

And of course , you included your time researching and ordering up the parts in your above?  And when you write about Headroom (Retail price: $185 from headroom.) you did include the cost of their overhead in your comments?

L3000.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 21

Quote:
I really believe that buying aftermarket cables is truly a ripoff.

You sound like financially, you'd do real well in business.

Summary: Even if you do go about upgrading your audio cable, please don't throw away your money ordering a commercial cable when for about an hour of your time you could save at least 50%, most likely more,...

And of course , you included your time researching and ordering up the parts in your above?  And when you write about Headroom (Retail price: $185 from headroom.) you did include the cost of their overhead in your comments?

L3000.gif

:) Fine fine, I may have overdone it. Although you have to admit that as you get sucked into this world, you're going to inevitably blow hours of your free time researching, so you can't really factor that in. Good catch though, headroom overhead would be additional :) .

Anyways, to the OP, enjoy your new cables if and when you get them. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 21
If I get an aftermarket cable, I'll get it from Zombie-X. His are the most reasonably priced I've seen. He's got a 6 foot silver cable on his site now for $100 I think. Very reasonable. Sonic benefits or not, I need to get something shorter for my 650's. The cool looks and possible sound improvement would only be an added benefit. I'd be happy to pay extra to have it made for me. A car accident a few years ago left me with a bum right hand, rendering me pretty useless with even the most basic tools. Not that I was even good with tools before...

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 21
last time i bought an aftermarket headphone cable i found the stiffness of the cable really annoying. can you fine gents recommend a hd650 cable that is very flexible with little to no microphonic noise? thanks in advance.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
last time i bought an aftermarket headphone cable i found the stiffness of the cable really annoying. can you fine gents recommend a hd650 cable that is very flexible with little to no microphonic noise? thanks in advance.

Already done it earlier in this thread: Headphile Blacksilver. Flexible and with no microphonics; silver (obviously) and relatively cheap. Maximum of 6 feet, if that's a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back