Sennheiser HD650 cables
Jul 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 21
The supplied cable does an excellent job.

Cardas Smurf isn't that much of an improvement
& I'm not tossing away any more funds for cables.

Save up for a Bottlehead Crack kit instead.
IMO a better investment than over priced cables.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #5 of 21
Headphile Blacksilver. One of the cheaper cables but one of the most effective in overcoming the Sennheiser 650 veil. Worthwhile if you really like the 650 but pine for greater openness and detail. Can't add treble (impossible) but can give the impression of greater brightness through increased sharpness (focus).

Of course all change brought about by cables is relatively subtle. Listen for greater insight and a sense of ease, not a revolution in sound.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 21
There's also DHC (DoubleHelixCable).
Black Dragon.

I went with custom covers.  Not better sounding as they use the same wire but better looking covers.  Kinda like putting mags and tires on a commute car.  Doesn't go faster but sure looks cool getting you there.

My order is next in line.  So next week I'm hoping to have the DoubleHelixCables attached to the HD-650 for try out.

beerchug.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 21
Sadly, sorry on the picture request as I don't have a way to create and post images.  No camera or web posting site.  I haven't taken a picture in years now since putting the artistic camera down.  But I can write about my first impressions when I unbox them.

L3000.gif

Aug 2, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 21
I used to use the Cardas blue "smurf?" cable.  It changed to gray years ago, and I updated to it after making a comparison.  Cardas said it didn't change the sound, but clearly on 2 comparisons a difference could be heard (something changed unrelated to the color... perhaps just a process improvement).  My samples of each were clearly different.  

I like the gray very well.  However, this is a musical cable.  Compared to stock, bass is tighter, detail is better without edge, midrange blooms realistically.  Treble is more extended but not the last word in focus of the after-market cables.  It does not add edge or sharpness. If you want to make the HD650 sound like brighter headphones, you might try other cables.  

Stock cable in comparison was decent but a bit "fluffy" (a soft grain), less extended on both extremes, a bit looser in the bass, and less transparent.  

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 21
I went with Zu Mobius because of length,looks and reviews here on head-fi.I think they're the best looking cable over 10ft (which I need to keep my lazy butt on the couch).when I swiched out the originals, I noticed an immediate difference. And I knew my system was complete when my girlfriend pointed out the silly ear to ear grin I made every time I put my phones on. Couldn't be happier with my setup, unless someone could tell me how to make poorly rec/mastered music to sound better on it!

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 21
Was sent a picture of the new 10' cables on order with Double Helix Cables.  They should be here any day now.  Time will tell how they sound when compared to the stock Sennheiser HD-650 cables I'll be switching out.

biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
The supplied cable does an excellent job.

pocketchange is right. There is no need to get an expensive cable as long as you do not have an excellent amp and DAC to drive the HD650 properly.
Invest your money in a nice tube amp (Woo WA6, for example) and listen for a while. You can think about upgrading later.
And even when you have a very good amp and DAC, your money is still better spent on more music than on cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back