Sennheiser HD650 Amp - Need Help - N00b Here=)
Jun 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #31 of 43
Of course it would do it's job, the predator is an excellent DAC + amp for its price. With the HD650, trust me, it will be more than good. You should stop pondering over the equipment and start enjoying the music. After all that's what we really spend the money for.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #33 of 43
Thanks =)!

I'm just trying to find me some Emmelines now :frowning2:

I already bought my HD650's. And I actually upgraded the stock wires to these custom made pure Silver stranded wires off ebay. They were pricey, but I'm sure they'll be worth it!

Anyone know a place that sell's emmelines besides RSA? I'm looking for the amp to be in the 300-400ish $$$ range, seeing as how its $475 retail with RSA.

Would greatly appreciate it!

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #35 of 43

Quote:
Thanks =)!

I'm just trying to find me some Emmelines now :frowning2:

I already bought my HD650's. And I actually upgraded the stock wires to these custom made pure Silver stranded wires off ebay. They were pricey, but I'm sure they'll be worth it!

Anyone know a place that sell's emmelines besides RSA? I'm looking for the amp to be in the 300-400ish $$$ range, seeing as how its $475 retail with RSA.

Would greatly appreciate it!

idk if its still fs but -->http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497147/fs-rsa-the-predator-amp-dac-mint-condition

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #37 of 43
The Pico Dac/Amp combo is my second choice, But I am going strong for this Emmeline RSA Predator. It pretty much encompasses everything I want!

Thanks Greatdane for your suggestion!

I just need to find a bloody seller for these emmelines now!!

Jun 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 43
There is a big difference between a battery powered portable, even if it can hook up to a wall power outlet, and a desktop amp, because the design is still constrained by batteries. But if you want the Predator it's not going to sound horrible or anything. 

I don't get what you mean by Emmelines other than RSA. Emmeline is a RSA brand name after all. Ray makes them, and Ray sells them. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #40 of 43
I recently added a DACPort to my stable.  Simple, sounds very good with HD650.  USB Dac will do 24/96 native, and self powered amp in the same device.

I was surprised at how good it sounds, and it will play the hi-rez stuff I have in my collection now.

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacport/

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #41 of 43
If you want a decent DAC that is far more versatile than an amp/dac combo for under $200.00 then get an EMU 0404 USB and connect the amp to that. It also has a little classA amp in it but is only 60mw so not enough oomph for more demanding headphones. With the EMU you can use it as a straight DAC, external soundcard, passthrough unit to another DAC (surround amp etc.), 2 amps connected at once, recording device with ASIO for guitar, midi keyboard, mic etc. I use one and use all of it's capabilities. That allows you to buy any headphone amp too because you are not tied to amps with DACs inside them.

Jun 28, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #42 of 43
Matrix M-stage amp is a good choice for HD650, you can get cheaper amps but the get m-stage will save you the time of trialing cheaper amps that leave you wanting more.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent

Your soundblaster \ ipod will be an ok starter source,  for connections from your soundblaser or ipod use a mini to RCA cable into the Amp.

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #43 of 43
Not to try to hijack this thread or anything, but I have approximately the same question as the original poster did.  So rather than make a new post about the same thing, I thought I'd just ask in here.

I recently purchased a Sennheiser HD-650 as well, although my question is if my current DAC (and maybe it's an AMP?) is up to the task of driving the HD-650's.

I'm currently using an M-Audio Firewire Solo : http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo.html

My original reason for getting the M-Audio unit was a completely separate idea before the headphone purchase, it was actually because the on-board sound on my PC had way too much hiss for my taste (probably high frequency noise from the video cards amongst other things).  Fortunately this unit cleared that problem up entirely, the sound through my speakers was very much improved, and I've abandoned the on-board audio entirely.

So now that I've got this new pair of headphones, I just plugged them in and hoped for the best.  I suppose I haven't reached the "burn in" period (I'm fairly new to all this), but they sound really good to me right now.  Am I missing out on much by using the M-Audio unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back