Sennheiser HD650 Amp - Need Help - N00b Here=)
Jun 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #16 of 43
Great, thanks for everyone's input, I definetly learned a lot. However, I do still have a few questions.

1) What's a DAC that everyone keep's talking about?

2) If I buy something like "http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator" as the person above stated, And I plug this amp/dac into my computer through usb, and plug my HD650 into the Amp, will the quality of the music be distorted because my computer? Or does it make no difference if the files are coming straight of out my computer (with a really crappy sound card I might add)

3) I'd like something smaller and discreet, like the link I just posted above. Are these inferior to the full-sized amps?

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Thanks again

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #17 of 43
Hearing positive improvements with the Schiit amp is a good start.  It can only get better from here!

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 43
A DAC is a digital-to-analog converter, it converts digital data (0's and 1's) into analog signal that headphones and speaker use. The Predator is actually a DAC + amp in one, meaning that it will take digital data, convert it into analog signal, then amplify it for your headphones and speakers.

When you plug in a USB DAC, your other sound devices are by-passed. What you get out of it is purely from itself, meaning that the computer will route digital music data directly through the USB cable into the DAC for conversion. So the quality should be superb and not at all affected by whatever sound card you have in your computer. Signal quality is not an issue with USB because it is purely digital data.

Hope that helps.

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #19 of 43
jd007 already answered this really well, but I'll put it in different terms because of your question:

"Or does it make no difference if the files are coming straight of out my computer (with a really crappy sound card I might add)"

The soundcard is a DAC.  If you have a usb or optical connection to an external DAC, you can bypass the "crappy" soundcard; then depending on how good the DAC is, you have a better or MUCH better one (in effect). I had a buddy over who is a computer guy, and a video guy, and decidedly not an audio guy, and he was commenting on how much better my system sounded than he noticed before.  I pointed to my DAC and explained, "that thing with the blue LED... that's my soundcard".  Lightbulb moment.

Which DACs are compatible with which operating systems may be an issue, or whether you need any software or not is something to be looking for if you're thinking of getting a DAC or amp/DAC combo. I think if you're using a computer as a source, especially if you already know the computer has a "crappy soundcard," the DAC is worth getting. I used to burn everything to CD just becuase my CD player sounded much better than my soundcard. Then I got a usb DAC that was a little better than the one in my CD player, and now the computer is the favored source.

Of course, you're looking at spending more money if you get a DAC and headphone amp (whether separately or in one unit), so you have to let your budget be your guide, there.

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 43
Thanks everyone for your input.

No I wont be using these portably, But I don't have room to fit a massive amp in on my desk.

I need something that will be good, and not kill my wallet. So  far I've seen these, wihch are quite goo.

iQube V2
Schiit Asgard
Headstage Arrow
Emmeline Predator

(If you've noticed, I like something discreet, and somewhat mobile so I can carry it around the house[not outside however] and as well, be in the 250-400 dollar price range)

I've learned much since joining this site, but can someone clarify which of the amps I stated above are DAC+AMP combo? I would like the amp I buy to be both a DAC+Amp all in one. Even though I don't clearly understand the difference =D!

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #21 of 43
Thanks everyone for your input.

No I wont be using these portably, But I don't have room to fit a massive amp in on my desk.

I need something that will be good, and not kill my wallet. So  far I've seen these, wihch are quite goo.

iQube V2
Schiit Asgard
Headstage Arrow
Emmeline Predator

(If you've noticed, I like something discreet, and somewhat mobile so I can carry it around the house[not outside however] and as well, be in the 250-400 dollar price range)

I've learned much since joining this site, but can someone clarify which of the amps I stated above are DAC+AMP combo? I would like the amp I buy to be both a DAC+Amp all in one. Even though I don't clearly understand the difference =D!

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #23 of 43
Both the iQube V2 and the Predator are DAC + amp in ones. Personally I'd go with the Predator. Also the iQube V2 should be out of your budget I think? (Unless you buy used)

Jun 26, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #24 of 43
Which one do you recommend? Yeah I was looking at prices just now, the iQube v2 is way out of my price range :frowning2: *tear*, but I contacted that guys at ray samuels or whatever and got a price quote of $475. That should be good.

Is there much difference between these two amps!? I dont understand why some amps are more expensive then others? I mean, don't they all do the same thing? I dont understand.

I see it like, a salesman trying to sell two identical bikes to two seperate people for COMPLETLY different prices just because of something miniscule like the colour per sa. Just because one is bright green he charges $100 more over the other one which happens to be black. Can someone clarify why this is?

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 43
Buddy, I don't think you should be too hasty. We could answer all your questions for you, but I suggest you lurk around a bit more and learn more about how amps are designed and what makes a difference. Different amps have different parts and circuits designs and power sources, which affect the amp's power delivery and sound. In general, a battery powered amp will always be in a different class from desktop amps which a whole power outlet's power behind them. That said, the iQube is pretty powerful for a battery powered amp. 

If you use input, you'll be skipping the built in DAC, because inputs are analogy source. Your DAC will then be the one in whatever you're feeding the amplifier with, the iPod DAC, the laptop's DAC etc...

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 43
So your saying it's better to use a USB input method when listening to music, rather then the Input?

So does the Emmaline Predator also get powered when I plug it into the computer via usb? Or do I need batteries in there on top of that?

And whats a desktop amp!?

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #28 of 43
Also if you look here:

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/predator

the emmaline predator uses input, usb and has  POWER outlet.

Is this what you were talking about... a Desktop amp? So this SHOULd in theory have a lot more power and produce a lot more quality of sound then the iQube V2, or am I wrong?

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #29 of 43
It doesn't take a lot of power to amp a headphone, so no, having a power cord doesn't mean that the amp is better.

A desktop amp just means that it is not portable, and is meant to be used on a desk. As for USB input, since USB is digital, there shouldn't be any data loss at all. Every bit of your music is going to correctly make its way into the DAC. The occasional downside to USB is that some DACs/amps don't support 24-bit input through USB (which is not an issue with the Predator), but even then it's not really a big issue as almost all audio today is only 16-bit (CDs and FLAC included).

Line level input is completely different from USB as it is not digital (it's used to connect your iPod to it, for example), so you can't really compare the line input on the Predator with the USB input.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #30 of 43
Oh I see okay.

Is there really a huge difference between the desktop amps and something like the Emmeline Predator though, without killing the wallet...

Like I mean, It doesn't have to be up to par with what someone like Pdiddy would use to produce music lol(as those instruments usually cost in the thousands of dollars range) but I want it to be GOOD.

Would the Emmeline do the job in my case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back