Sennheiser HD600s - eCost - $249.99
Sep 18, 2010 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
I got some HD650s from eCost a few weeks ago, briefly on discount.  They were just fine: came with a box and everything, and were significantly cheaper than any other source on the web. Share and enjoy.

h-pootin'://woo-woo-woo.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=37657604&source=EWBBASE&cm_mmc=CSE-_-google-_-ewbbase-_-Electronics&CAWELAID=366877955

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschristian44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wider soundstage?  more bass?  what is fidelity?  is that the details?

Close. Fidelity is the sonic accuracy of the headphones. How accurate they are in re-producting the sound from the source component, e.g. a Portable MP3 Player.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 35
yeah that is what i figured.  i love the hd650 and i mise well just save up to get them and not waste time on the hd600 even though 250 is the best price ive seen thus far.  thats more than 100 dollars off than amazon is selling them for and amazon has the cheapest prices around i think.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

yeah that is what i figured.  i love the hd650 and i mise well just save up to get them and not waste time on the hd600 even though 250 is the best price ive seen thus far.  thats more than 100 dollars off than amazon is selling them for and amazon has the cheapest prices around i think.

To be completely honest, there really isn't much a difference between the HD 600's and HD 650's. If you find the HD 600's drastically cheaper, I'd advise you to go for them. Both of them sound just as good with a decent Headphone Amplifier.

Good luck, I hope you find what your looking for!

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #9 of 35
well, ive heard of people getting the detachable cords for their hd600's how does this work since the hd600 doesnt come stock with detachable cords do they?  but yeah i found the hd600 for 250 with free shipping and the lowest i saw the hd650's for was 330 shipped on ebay and 450 shipped on amazon.  i dont trust ebay for this kind of stuff so 450 is the price i was looking at.  250 sounds like a great deal, but i hate that paint splattered headband.  wasn't this popular in the 80's?  i think it looks dumb.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

well, ive heard of people getting the detachable cords for their hd600's how does this work since the hd600 doesnt come stock with detachable cords do they?  but yeah i found the hd600 for 250 with free shipping and the lowest i saw the hd650's for was 330 shipped on ebay and 450 shipped on amazon.  i dont trust ebay for this kind of stuff so 450 is the price i was looking at.  250 sounds like a great deal, but i hate that paint splattered headband.  wasn't this popular in the 80's?  i think it looks dumb.

I don't trust ebay with anything to be honest, primarily because if I'm spending that sort of money, chances are I could easily get sold a fake. Your almost paying twice as much for the HD 650's compared to the HD 600's. At that price, those HD 600's are steal.

The price doesn't justify the HD 650's but they have to be expensive otherwise consumers will expect that there isn't much difference between the two, thus end up buying the cheaper model. I also can't believe that one of your reasons for hating on the HD 600's is the headband, LOL! Don't judge a book by it's cover.

I used to think Grado headphones were crap because of their rubbish design (my opinion), but they really surprised me. In your position, I would go for the HD 600's, and I'm sure everyone else would do the same!

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

just curious, would this amp be good enough or would i need a 200-300 price range amp
http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-HA43-Pro-Output-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0010BWLMS/ref=pd_sim_e_5

That Amplifier doesn't look at all that powerful, I think it would be a poor partner for a set of top end Headphones. If your looking for an Amplifier to pair with either the HD 600's or the HD 650's, you should be looking at an Amplifier that costs $200+. Sennheiser uses the Graham Slee Novo Amplifier with the HD 600/650's at conferences and such.

I recommend you take that into consideration. I have tried it myself, and it's a fantastic Amplifier. WhatHiFi reviewed it as well. Here is the link, check it out: http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Graham-Slee-Novo/.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 35
yeah that is what i thought and thats the only thing keeping me away from the high end headphones.  i just got a pair of the ad700 and its the most detailed headphones i have ever heard.  will i be blown away from the hd600's clarity with an amp, or am i good with the ad700.  i read a review someone wrote and he said the ad700 had way more clarity than the hd600.  if thats the case, why spent 400+ for an amp/headphone that wont sound as good as my ad700.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

yeah that is what i thought and thats the only thing keeping me away from the high end headphones.  i just got a pair of the ad700 and its the most detailed headphones i have ever heard.  will i be blown away from the hd600's clarity with an amp, or am i good with the ad700.  i read a review someone wrote and he said the ad700 had way more clarity than the hd600.  if thats the case, why spent 400+ for an amp/headphone that wont sound as good as my ad700.

I would stick with your ATH-AD700's because they sound really good as they are, even without an Amplifier. The top-end Sennheiser headphones need an Amplifier to power them, otherwise they don't sound as detailed as you would expect.

The thing is, the high-end Sennheiser headphones have the potential to sound amazing, just like a set of $400 headphones are supposed to sound, but they need to be paired with a really good Amplifier to get the best out of them. Think of a pair of Sennheiser HD 600/650's as a set of top-end PC Surround Speakers.

They have the potential to sound great, but if they are paired with a rubbish Sound Card, your not getting the best out of them!

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 35
ah yeah i understand it now...thanks for helping.  well i got the e5 for 25 shipped on amazon, and after reading a review, someone said it helped the bass and even more clarity out of them so i will see how that performs on monday.  most likely it will be great because the amp has a bass boost function which might be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back